CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
John Doyle

Profile:
Impossible is the Opposite of Possible

I've been doing crossfit fairly consistently for a little over two months now. Started doing the zone (mostly paleo) a couple weeks ago. So far both have been going pretty well. This is the most fun I have ever had working out and for the first time in my life I am chasing performance in the gym over asthetics. Working out is no longer a chore. It's something I look forward to and it helps the workday go by faster. However, between holidays, traveling, and year end reporting at work, I haven't been as consistent as I would like to be over the last few weeks. Therefore, I have finally decided to start this workout log to hopefully make myself more accountable.

I am 26 years old, 5'10, and weigh around 170lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a couple months, but I seem to be locked in at that weight. I'm not really sure about my body fat % (and to be honest, don't really care), but I am guessing it is in the low teens because I have a decent six pack and am fairly toned. I work out at a college gym in my neighborhood, which sucks. So, I don't have bumper plates, ropes, or a couple other things. But, I rented a locker and I keep my rings and such in there. The gym was insanely packed last night with all of the New Years resolutioners. Hoping that dies off in the next week or two. What's the typical length of a new years resolution? 10 days?

Side Note: Just so that no one thinks I am an idiot, "Impossible is the Opposite of Possible" is the name of a video made by Michael Cera, one of the stars of Arrested Development, which happens to be my favorite show. The video is poking fun at a similar video titled "Impossible is Nothing" made by a Yale student (Aleksey Vayner) as an attachement to his resume. Vayner sent the video to a couple investment banks and next thing it showed up all over the internet. Turns out that half the stuff in the kid's video and on his resume was a lie.

Michael Cera video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAV0sxwx9rY (WFS)
Aleksey Vayner video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/268703...le_is_nothing/ (WFS)
Aleksey Vayner story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossi...C3%A9sum%C3%A9) (WFS)

Back to CrossFit, I follow the main site WODs. I got a sinus infection after returning from a trip to LA last week. Think the shock of going from 70 and sunny to 10 degrees and windy, chicago winter was to much for my system to handle. So, I am sorta playing catchup and will return to the normal schedule Thursday. I have my fifth and final CrossFit Foundations session at a local affiliate tonight and am pretty sure I am going to be doing Fran. Really looking forward to it; but, concerned that breathing will be hard.

Sorry for the long post and for my tendency to bounce around, rant, and take random tangents. I love quoting movies and tv shows and funny/wierd videos on youtube, so I will probably try to add one to each of my posts. Feel free to post your own.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
John Doyle

Profile:
Re: Impossible is the Opposite of Possible

Last nights workout:

CFWU x 2 (10 reps)

Deadlifts (3-3-3-3-3):

This was my second time doing deadlifts heavier than body weight (last time was Mr. Joshua back in November), so I ended up approaching this wrong and started too light. I think I could have ended up at least 10 or 15lbs heavier.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
John Doyle

Profile:

Tonight's workout:

1 mile jog to affiliate for my last of 5 crossfit foundations classes

CFWU x 2 (10 reps)

Worked on Clean & Jerks, Power Cleans, Squat Cleans, Snatches, Power Snatches, overhead squats, and double unders

Freddy's Revenge:

5 rounds of:
5 push jerks (145lbs)
10 burpees

15:10

I felt like sh-t the whole workout. Dropped the bar 3 times and had to clean from the floor. I guess the possitive is that I have a lot of room for improvement.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
John Doyle

Profile:

0.6 mile jog to gym

CFWU x 2 (10 reps, 5 reps pullups)

WOD:

Ten rounds for time of:
3 Weighted Pull-ups, 45 pounds
5 Strict Pull-ups
7 Kipping Pull-up

For weighted pull-ups place a 45 pound dumbbell between the legs above crossed ankles and jettison the dumbbell after third rep and continue with strict pull-ups and then the kipping pull-ups. Coming off the bar or going to ground constitutes termination of a set.

Post time and number of sets to completion.

As Rx'd:
25:04 in 18 rounds

Tough workout. Some ********* stopped me between sets to try and scold me for dropping the dumbbell to the floor.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
John Doyle

Profile:

Had to skip todays workout and I'm pretty ****ed at myself for not waking up before work to get it in. I really wanted to work on my front squats to build up my thrusters. But, I didn't get off from work until late and now I have to (get to) pack for a 6am flight to Costa Rica.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
John Doyle

Profile:

Spent the last 5 days in Costa Rica. Weather was amazing. The fitness center at our resort was under construction, so I didn't do any weight training and I didn't check the internet at all to find out the WODs. Daily activities included surfing, swimming, golfing, and gruelling runs up the mountain. Hoping that a little time off will help me come back stronger. Looking forward to getting my workouts and diet back on track.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
John Doyle

Profile:

Friday 090116
For time:
10 GHD Sit-ups
10 Hip & Back Extensions
95 pound Thrusters, 30 reps
50 Pull-ups

30 GHD Sit-ups
30 Hip & Back Extensions
95 pound Thrusters, 20 reps
35 Pull-ups

50 GHD Sit-ups
50 Hip & Back Extensions
95 pound Thrusters, 6 reps

Stopped after 6 thrusters to throw up.

Did not finish:
4 Thrusters
20 Pull-ups

As Rx'd until meeting Pukie - 33:14

I felt really dizzy before my workout but thought I would be able to push through. Was really busy at work today and didn't drink enough water.

Dwight Schrute: Let me describe the perfect date: I take her out to a nice dinner. She looks amazing. Some guy tries to hit on her... now he wants to fight- so I grab him- I throw him into the jukebox! Then the other ninja’s got a knife, he comes at me, we grapple, I turn his knife on him. Blood on the dance floor. She’s scared now. I take her home. I’m holding her in my arms. I reach in for a kiss... I hear something in the leaves, I flip her around, she gets a poison arrow right in her back. She was in on it the whole time... but I knew.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
John Doyle

Profile:

CFWU x 3 (10 rep)

Burgener Warmup

Sunday 090118
Hang power clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

135 - 155 (ugly) - 155 (Fail) - 145 - 155 - 165 (Fail) - 165 (Fail)

My timing felt really off. This was my first time doing o-lifts without bumper plates or a trainer and it didn't go well

Worked on flags, thrusters, and handstands.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
John Doyle

Profile:

Tuesday 090120
"Mr. Joshua"

Five rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
30 Glute-ham sit-ups
250 pound Deadlift, 15 reps

Previous attempt - 38:46

Today:

Round 1 - 5:04
Round 2 - 5:17
Round 3 - 6:14
Round 4 - 6:06
Round 5 - 6:37
Total - 29:20

Felt really good today and am really happy with my improvement. Felt the biggest differences in my deadlifts and transitions. Hoping this is the start of me breaking through a wall that I feel I've run into lately.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
John Doyle

Profile:

Wasn't able to get in a workout today. I tried to get up early, but my body was so worn out from Mr. Joshua that I slept through 3 different alarms (placed all around my room) for 2 and a half hours. I set the alarms for 5am and suddenly woke up at 7:40 to all of them going off. Then I got stuck working late and had to go strait to a meeting for a young professionals board I'm on. I've missed way to many workouts so far this year. Really going to make a point to get back on track.

I randomly had quotes from Team America World Police stuck in my head today.

Janeane Garofolo: As actors, it is our responsibility to read the newspapers, and then say what we read on television like it's our own opinion.