CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Jason Murphy

Profile:
Pillow Blocks

Hey Everyone,

I am going to start constructing a monkey bar & pull up station in the backyard this week. I plan on putting a rotating pullup bar on the side of the station. I have observed bars like this mounted by pillow blocks in photos online. The trouble is I do not know anything about pillow blocks and have never saw one in person. I looked them up on supply websites and see two variations. One has a set screw and no locking collar and the other has a set screw and a locking collar. My question is what does this locking collar do? Would it give me the option of making the bar rotate or not rotate by simply twisting a collar? I am not too concerned with making it lock from spinning because I am making the bars on the monkey bar section 60" wide and 1" thick I.D. so I can do non rotating pull ups there. It would be a nice option if possible though because I was going to make the rotating pull up bar a thicker diameter than the other bars.

Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Michael A Martinez

Profile:
Re: Pillow Blocks

Are you talking about linear p. blocks or "plummer" p. blocks?

Linear p. blocks are made for static shafts where the moving part is mounted on the pillow block. A CNC machine table is generally mounted on something like this.

The plummer style p. block is what I assume you are talking about. It generally houses/supports a shaft. In most cases this type of block uses a collar to secure the shaft in the pillow block. If I remeber correctly, they make a special type that has a total lock out mechanisim to stop shaft rotation. I don't think that is standard, however.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Jason Murphy

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Michael. After looking up linear pillow block and looking up plummer pillow block, I found out your assumption was correct. I was going to use a plummer pillow block. I apologize for not knowing there was another style of pillow block out there.

Jason
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Michael A Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Murphy View Post
Thanks for the reply Michael. After looking up linear pillow block and looking up plummer pillow block, I found out your assumption was correct. I was going to use a plummer pillow block. I apologize for not knowing there was another style of pillow block out there.

Jason
Don't apologize bro. I think the idea is cool. It sounds like it will add another level of suck to pull-ups. Please post some pics once you have it dialed in...
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Jason Murphy

Profile:

I wish I could take credit for thinking up such a diabolical device but I can't. I first read about it here...Robert Riddle posted up something on it years ago. Alternatively, I have thought about using pvc sleeves over pipe (I know it works because I used to have a soloflex and that is exactly how you did bicep curls on it. I thought about putting a larger diameter pipe over a smaller diameter one and greasing between the two but I think the pillow block design is the best because it should provide the smoothest rotation. I will take pics when I am done with the pullup/monkey bar station.