CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I worked out with Crossfit from May 07 to March this year, but my employment prevented me from continuing with it. I am now looking to getting back to it but have some queries.

My legs are disproportionately strong compared to my arms and chest. I can squat 150kg, but probably only do 50 pushups. Also, at 5'11 and 92 kg (5kg more than when I left crossfit), I am wondering whether Crossfit will tone me down or make me bigger.

Because of these considerations I am uncertain whether just to launch into the WOD's like I used to, start with Mark Rippetoe's starting strength book and then get into Crossfit OR to swim and run and bike a lot to get smaller, and then build strength on top of that. Ideas?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Mitch, everyone comes to CF with strengths weaknesses etc and the Rx is to scale the WOD to their ability (the scaling will vary depending on your capacity in the drills for that day). I don't see anything in your post that would suggest a different plan of attack.

Your size/ weight is dependent more on your nutrition than exercise regime so look to that first if you want to lean out.

In the meantime how about committing to a month of appropriately scaled WOD's and then come back to this thread if you still don't feel like things are moving the way you want them too?

Cheers, kempie
Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
It's very important to come back slowly. All too often we want to immediately get back to the output level of when we were at our highest performance, but this can lead to setbacks.

Be careful to avoid doing too much too fast as you ramp back up.

Ben Kaminski