CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
Mike Minium

Profile:
This article doesn't break new ground, but it does add onto the ever-growing pile of literature that posits that our bodies are still adapted to the paleolithic era, and not the neolithic one (to the savanna, and not the freeway, as I like to say).

http://www.betterhumans.com/News/new...D=2004-01-14-3

My favorite excerpt:

"The caloric intake and local climate of many individuals are out of balance with their genetic history," says Wallace. "Thus, our genetic history is linked to our current diseases, resulting in the new field of evolutionary medicine."

Mike
Old 04-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Good stuff.

I encourage all my students to 'suffer' a little in the winter by wearing a few less layers. When the summer hits, I tell them to step outside the A.C. and feel the heat of the day.

Years, ago you didn't read stories of young football players dropping to the ground in the late summer. I know that multiple factors are at work when a youngster collapses but I am certain that much of the problem stems from living in a comfort controlled environment 100% of the time.

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Michael,

One of my instructors has had experience that backs up your belief regarding unnatural environments.

From what he's told me, the naturalist/survivalist Tom Brown would frequently expose his seminar attendees to the elements. At first it was used to weed out people who weren't fully committed, but eventually the people who stayed adapted. When my instructor returned to Chicago in the late fall/early winter he found the artificial heat of his office building almost suffocating and, for a while, would open his office window for relief (much to the chagrin of his coworkers). I guess it took several weeks for him to adapt back to the conditions of modern society.

I think that he also attributes increased illness to people spending to much time indoors enjoying the heat in the winter or the AC in summer. If I'm not mistaken, he's drawing on his knowledge of Chinese medicine here, but I'm not sure - I believe he mentioned something about how the human body is supposed to undergo cycles of heat and cold through the year.

Ryan
Old 04-29-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I've also heard of cycles that the human body goes through with regards to the seasons. It also applies to diet, fatty meat for winter, fish fruit and veg in the summer. Or simply put the food you would find at that time of the year without supermarkets.

This all makes a lot of sense when considering what happens in artificial evolution. If noise is introduced, whatever is being evolved either learns not to rely on the noise or adapts to it. If it is cylclic then it will most likely adapt to it eg light(day-night), temperature(summer-winter)...