CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #21
Lisa Fairclough

Profile:
Re: ACL Reconstruction Recovery

Mike I had a hamstring graft too, I had bruising quite far down my calf which was quite normal I was told.

Had second PT yesterday, nothing really new to report. I have to carry on as I was till week six, I'm quite jealous of you both because i'm not going to see an exercise bike till then! Flexion has improved naturally, leg still a few degrees off full extention tho.

I'm currenlty doing
3x25 sets of knee push downs using my quad
Icing knee while foot is elevated on a block for 20min a few times day (No support under the knee)
Balancing exercises
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #22
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

Lisa,
Is that no bike cuz your knee won't bend far enough or does your PT just want you to take it slowly?

Did you have pre-op PT and what was your degree of flex then?

I had nearly full range of motion prior to the op. I'm thinking that's helping me now.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #23
Lisa Fairclough

Profile:

Caz, Proir to my op I had full ROM in my leg. I remember I had a lot of trouble fully straightening my leg after my accident, it must just be a problem I have.

I think they are just taking it really slow and safe untill week 6, when the graft should be healed. Roll on week 6!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #24
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

Lisa,
sounds like you are working under a fairly conservative PT regime.

Pre-op, I was told by my PT guy that my surgeon was one of the more aggressive ones regarding rehab.

Mike,
Just saw all bruising on my ankle which I didn't notice before. Also on my outer thigh above the knee. The massive calf bruise has been there since the op.

I woke up and nothing weird had happened to me after my first PT session yesterday. Another session tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #25
Lisa Fairclough

Profile:

How it going guys?

Still not had my next PT session yet, thats next Monday. Leg is getting stronger at week 5, lots of Isometric work for my quad. Back at work now, which is good for my sanity after 4 weeks off
Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #26
Mike Kelley

Profile:

Everything going fine on my end

just waiting until week 4 (still another week) so I can slowly start working my hamstring again...I can def. tell that it's weaker now

I'm able to walk up and downstairs pretty easily...stopped wearing my brace about a week and a half ago (and driving around the same time)

other than that nothing really to report...all the bruising on my leg is gone
Old 12-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #27
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

Hi Mike,

I have had 2 ACL reconstructions on the same knee. 1 was a football injury the other was a kickboxing injury. From my perspective and reading through the posts you are definately ahead of schedule and it seems that you are doing very well. I had some wicked inflammation problems with my knee so my recovery was certainly comprimised.

All in all my knee is now in Excellent condition. As far as rehab goes personally my favorite exercises for getting back into the swing of things were the stationary bike and swimming pool based exercise. My therapist was very good and very sadistic... pool based exercises were a big part of his regimen. Also as my therapy progressed the therapist had me doing quite a bit of lunges with dumbells. I know that sounds odd but lunges with careful form are excellent and building stability and strength in the legs (according to him). I am not suggesting you do these on your own but I would ask your therapist about them if you are not already doing them I thought they were a huge help. Obviously you have to be at a certain point before you do them.

Best of luck...
Old 12-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #28
Mike Kelley

Profile:

yeah, I've been doing split squats and regular squats (no weight obviously) and I'm allowed to actually start doing some hamstring work next week

my current problem is ROM (flexion more than extension)...it's at about 127 right now (my good leg is 136)..but then again it's only been 3 weeks and 5 days so I'm not too worried
Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #29
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
yeah, I've been doing split squats and regular squats (no weight obviously) and I'm allowed to actually start doing some hamstring work next week

my current problem is ROM (flexion more than extension)...it's at about 127 right now (my good leg is 136)..but then again it's only been 3 weeks and 5 days so I'm not too worried
The ROM is such a critical part of the therapy as you know. I had the same flexion problem and to some extent I still have less flexion in my operated knee but the difference is only a few degrees. What is your therapist having you do to increase the flexion?

What I used to do (again check with your therapist before you do anything) is after warming the knee up I would lay with my back on the floor near a wall with my butt facing the wall. Then do a kind of modified hurdler stretch on a wall while laying on my back. My good leg would be straight up the wall, while my operated knee would be bent beneath my butt. Obviously when you start doing this you are very far from the wall but then you begin creeping in toward the wall very slowly to increase the flexion more and more. This exercise was a huge help in increasing the flexion. Again check with your therapist but as my therapy progressed we would do this with more and more tension. Eventually my foot was touching my butt.

I do not remember the exact timing of the exercise in relation to my therapy but in was a huge help in recovering my flexion ROM.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #30
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I've done something similar to that and also used a chair that you crank and it flexes your leg for me

recently they've had me on the total gym trying to "squat" as far down as I can go and hold it and at the end of every session my PT will flip me on my stomach and "force" my heel to my butt (or at least as far as my other leg can go)