CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
Mark Sampson

Profile:  
Hi Gang.

I am 42 yoa, and have always wanted to train in martial arts. For personal and professional reasons, I have not been able to consistently make the time to go to a class. In the next couple of months, I'll be able to start and am trying to pick a style. There are well-established Tae kwon Do, Karate, Kick Boxing and Judo schools locally. I have taken both Karate and Tae Kwon do classes for short perids of time in the past. I will visit the Judo school to see what they are about; the reputation is solid. I have seen and visited with the Kick-boxing instructors.

My goals include developing good striking skills and ground skills; I'd like to be well-rounded.
I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Should I pick one school and stick with it until I become proficient before learning another style, or should I devote one night per week to each of a striking style and grappling style with practice at home in between? Unfortunately, there's no Crosspit here...

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Daniel Foster

Profile:
Mark my personal experience would be come proficent at one style first, then add the second style later. Unless you were training in a style that incorpates both. I am biased because i train in brazilian jiu jitsu, but i would start with the gound game and then had kickboxing. i hope that helps
Old 08-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Mark Sampson

Profile:  
Thanks Daniel.
The ground game seems to be more technical, with skills that would take more practice to master.
I'll visit the Judo school and take a few classes
and see how it feels.

Off to work...

Thanks again.