CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #1
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Coach,
Robb and I are thinking of taking some adult gymnastics classes in Seattle! Any thoughts? I've looked for good instructional materials on gymnastics, but I'm coming up empty. Do you know of any good books or videos to take a look at? I've been to drillsandskills.com and american-gymnast.com, and they're great.
Also, I found this nice article: http://www.education.ed.ac.uk/gym/papers/smj2.html
It's probably been posted here at some time or another, but I had never seen it before.
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Find a class and do it regularly. I've got a growing thriving adult class. The benifits are astounding (though the coach makes a huge difference) Look for a class that is not like an open gym, but the coach actually gets very involved and vocuses on hard work and skill development.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:36 AM   #3
Coach

Profile:

I cannot encourage you enough to pursue this. I'd hope that the program you find has a complete mens and womens program. Often adult programs don't cover apparatus, just floor exercise. While the floor exercises are indispensible; I want you guys on the apparatus. Our local facility/program, "Santa Cruz Gymnastics" really has no men's gymnastics and an adequate women's program. They lost the staff that could instruct the mens events.

Roger, good to see you here, Sir. Would you contact me and let me know where your program is at? I'm sure we've friends in the neighborhood that would like to visit.

We'd LOVE to see the one armed rope climb video. I've shared that with a lot of people and vouched for your veracity, but I'd be thrilled to show them footage. I'd even put it up here for all to see. I can picture the technique - it's got to be ugly!

And one more thing. I wish you came around more often. I'd like more gymnastics presence. (I'm planning to go see Ron Bell, an old nemesis!, up at Cal to pick his brain on supporting newbies.)
Old 02-26-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Coach, you will be pleased to hear my story. I started taking a gymnastics class at school this semester, twice a week. Then I found out that there is a gymnastics club, so I'm going to their weekly practice. It's at a really big gym with all of the apparatus and good coaching. Then, I found out that the Gym offers a class for college-age beginners, so I'm doing that twice a week. However, as you say, we do pretty much floor only. So, today I asked one of the instructors if he would work with me once a week on the rings! So I'm starting that tomorrow.
That makes 6 practices a week! Add to that kicking into a handstand periodically throughout the day and playing on my parallelettes. One month ago I could barely hold a handstand for more than two seconds (Robb can vouch for that one!). Now, I can consistently walk halfway across the mat on my hands in pretty good form, legs straight and together, toes pointed, body tight, etc. I'm improving so rapidly it's scary. I would encourage everyone here to break out your Yellow Pages and find the nearest gymnastics club. Find out if they have an adult class. If not, get a few friends together and ask if they would be willing to start one. No reason they should turn you down. It's a blast and you will develop your body in ways that cannot be touched by a "workout".
Old 02-27-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I just got done with my ring lesson! Wow, what a workout. My arms haven't been this tired in a long, long time. We worked through all kinds of basic moves, most of which I don't know the names for. I had real trouble with the shoulder stand and front lever, but those are both tough. I'm sure they'll come along though.
I should be getting my prototype rings next week. It will be a lot of fun.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
BTW anyone in Marin County CA can come to my gymnastics class Wed nights 7-8:30. MEGA Gymnastics.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:52 PM   #7
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Roger,
Would you mind dropping me a line regarding web hosting, design, etc. We are in need and you may be able to help!
Lauren@crossfit.com
Old 03-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Sent ya an email.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:58 AM   #9
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Hey Roger,

I never recieved a message from you! Can you please resend it.

Thanks
Lauren
Old 03-11-2003, 11:44 PM   #10
The New Fred

Profile:  
I'm a CrossFit newbie and took the gymnastics advice to heart. I just got back from my second adult gymnastics class. Holy cow! What a fantastic workout! Sometimes things strike me as "manifestly correct" and this is one of them. It kills me that I didn't think to start this earlier.

I didn't find many classes in my area and there was only one other student in the class last week (and only me tonight, with two teachers!). I asked why there aren't more adult gymnastics classes and heard back a fascinating answer:

The gym has to pay higher insurance premiums if it offers gymnastics for adults!

I'm now a complete believer in the theory presented within the first CrossFit Journal, that gymnasiums have evolved to minize liability at the expense of offering true fitness equipment. What an eye opener!

Hey, if anyone's near Mountain View, CA, sign up for a class at Gold Star Gymnastics. I want them to keep offering it!

Fred