CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #1
ART

Profile:

Hello,

New to this site. I noticed you guys are advocates of gymnastics here. I love that. I have always thought that gymnastics was a great way to get in shape. However, I am not a gymnast nor was I ever. I read the Crossfit Journal "What is Fitness?" It says one should always try to mix in some gymnastics with every workout. But where I workout does not have gymnastics equipment. Only free-weights. However, the moment I finished reading the Crossfit Journal I began searching for gymnastics centers and I found one that has "open-gym" on Saturdays for only a few dollars each visit. Would it be ok to get in all my gymnastics work on Saturdays rather than with every workout? Or should I try to do what gymnastics work is possible at my gym?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Do both. There are a TON of "gymnastics" exercises that can be done with little or no equipment. Go to:
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond
Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
John McCracken

Profile:
For some additional ideas you can also use the search function of the message board. Here is one previous post that may also be helpful.

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=1609#POST1609
Old 12-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
ART

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I will try both and see how they tax my body. That website was great! Thanks Roger.

John when I clicked on that link my browser gave me a "page cannot be displayed" error. I don't know if it's my browser or the link. Nevertheless, thank you for your input.

I have always thought that gymnasts were some of the best atheletes in the world. I think that the body control they display can help me with my wrestling. What do you folks think?
Old 12-08-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
John McCracken

Profile:
Sorry about that Art. I just fixed the link so try it again.

John
Old 12-08-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
ART

Profile:

John,

Thanks! Those are great sites. I dug a bit deeper into the American Gymnast site. I went into training tips and the circuit training link. Those leg and upper body circuit looks incredibly taxing. However, I love a challenge. Now my question is those circuits should I do those on that open gym Saturday I was talking about, or only do one of those circuits per week. Ex: Upper body circuit on Saturday the 1st and then the leg circuit on Saturday the 7th. If my posts seem a little hazy, it might be because I just finished today's WOD and my mind and my muscles are quite shaky. Must eat now
Old 12-09-2003, 05:32 AM   #7
John McCracken

Profile:
Art,

On those Saturdays when you have access to the open gym, I would focus on doing gymnastics!

You can do conditioning work anytime but this is the only time you'll have access to all that great equipment. Find a coach or an experienced gymnast, pick their brains and learn some skills. Get on the rings and the ropes, the pommel horse and the high bar and learn some basic tumbling. If there is a bucket hanging on a long rope near the pommel horse, get your feet in it and get someone to teach you about double leg circles etc. Basically, take full advantage of this opportunity.

As for the American gymnast conditioning circuits, you could pick one each week and do it as a warm-up but be careful not to over do it. For overall fitness and conditioning, you'll do better by following the Workout of the Day (WOD).

Just a few other thoughts.

Stretch for 10 minutes or so a few times a day. Also work on handstands daily -- this is a core skill to be mastered. Consider buying or building a set of paralletes. At the end of Roger's Drills and Skills Conditioning page you'll find a set of instructions or search the message board for variations on that theme. I bought a set of Maple paralletes from the American Gymnast site and they're great. Try doing some parallete training a few times a week. There is a great training guide on the same page you found the conditioning circuits on the American Gymnast web site. Also, visit Tyler Hass site on ring training. He makes a set of portable rings that can be used for strength and conditioning (rather than the ballistic type skills of the still rings). These are very helpful as well for the WOD.

Finally, when it comes to gymnastics, take Roger Harrell's and Coach Glassman's advice to heart. These guys are the "real deal." I know I've learned a lot from them.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #8
ART

Profile:

Thank you for that advice. I will absolutely try that. I hope I can find a gymnast or a coach at the gym on those Saturdays who is willing to help out a total rookie. I understand what you were talking about in that those circuits can really be done almost anywhere just with different equipment. So when I go the gymnastics place I can just start work on gymnastics.

Oh, and those paralletes do look very easy to build. I will have them built before the end of the week. But I know my gym won't let me bring them there. Should I just finish my workout at home or should I cancel my membership and workout only at home.

Thanks for the stretching advice I tried it yesterday and I really do feel much better than the first couple of days of the WOD's. I did about 3 ten minute stretching sessions. Now I am not sore and ready to tackle the next WOD.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:49 PM   #9
John McCracken

Profile:
Don't worry, if you do the entire WOD at you gym on a regular basis you won't have to cancel your membership. They'll ask you to leave! :happy: