CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #11
Grant Scalf

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics vs. SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
That link is dead as it got deleted [accidentally I guess]. There's another one on the site as well as on APK and powerathletesmag.
Sorry, this is the link I was speaking of...

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 01-26-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 01-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Scalf View Post
Sorry, this is the link I was speaking of...
lol, that's not it either.

Here it is wfs
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...pic.php?t=1037

In any case, we can scale it to your conditioning level. Mirza's was a bit too much granted I thought he could handle it. This is a big problem with contructing routines on the internet because you don't know the level of conditioning of the person you're making something for. Theoretically, we can scale down his workout more to the point where he can do it fine, but he wants to go pure SS now which is also fine.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 01-26-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Roger Harrell

Profile:

I'm a gymnast that has incorporated SS type concepts into my training with great results. If you want to specialize toward gymnastics then following SS strictly could be detrimental due to the mass gain involved. The two can certainly be married.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Mirza - Now that I think about it, alternating cycles of SS and gymnastics sounds like good programming to continue to add strength. Not looking for extreme detail, but what does a typical week look like when you're doing a cycle of gymnastics strength work. How long are your sessions? What moves do you work? How often do you rest? Do you do met con? So much for not asking for detail....

What I'm wondering is, if I'm trying to get a long ring L sit, a front lever, and a 2 min. handstand, what's the best way to approach it from a programming standpoint. There has to be a thread on this, so I'll search regardless of if I get any answers. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

For regular gymnastics work you would tend to do about maybe 2-4 different strength exercises.. usually strength moves. Isometrics and then potentially some eccetrics/concentric work. Then move on to circuit (aka metcon-like) conditioning after the strength work. Should take more or less maybe an hour. It is possible to condense it more or expand based on how much time you have.

Typical week depends on the level of conditioning of the gymnasts. The better level of conditioning the more you can do.

Just so you know, the principles that govern weightlifitng also apply to gymnastics and other bodyweight exercises because they both are using the body as the medium to express strength and conditioning work. Rest for strength is typically 3-5 minutes. Conditioning depends on what you're doing.

Usually handstand first, then L-sit then front lever work (well, if you were working planche and cross or whatever you'd throw that in then too around front lever time) and then conditioning from there.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #16
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
lol, that's not it either.

Here it is wfs
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...pic.php?t=1037
This is what happens when you have so many tabs open in Firefox...

Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Scalf View Post
This is what happens when you have so many tabs open in Firefox...

Thanks for setting me straight.
A little off topic but... who are you on powerathletesmag? Or are you just a lurker.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
A little off topic but... who are you on powerathletesmag? Or are you just a lurker.
I am merely a lurker. I didn't even start reading powerathletesmag until I saw one of your posts reference it a few months ago.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #19
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:

FYI, you generally have to choose what you want to work on if you're going to do something like this. Heavy lifting + bodyweight strength often excludes most if not all metcon to produce optimal gains. Make sure it's something you really want to work towards at the expense of your fitness/conditioning.
I hope I am not stealing the thread...
... Currently I am working on all four areas: bodyweight + heavy lifting + oly lifts + metcon. It has been only two weeks but results are good. I guess it depends where you put priorities. If you want the best possible results in any area, you will have to sacrifice everything else.
I am not in a hurry to drastically improve anywhere, I wanted to get good results in area of interest but without loosing any of the current standings. So for me priorities were 50% gymnastics 25% heavy lift 25 % metcon. Until now I improved a lot in gymnastics, and there has been small progress in strength and conditioning (BTW 30 MU for time is it gymnastics or metcon? :-) I improved there a lot, 4:40 PR by 1:35 a couple of days ago) One thing to note is that I would definitely over train on any of the schedules in powerathletesmag article, that's just way too much work to handle. If truly concentrated 1-2 heavy lifts will exhaust all my mental power. Also I need at least 2-3 days to recover afterwards.
My schedule:

Mon. Heavy lifts 1 or 1 oly lift (load is varied, 5x5, 3x5+3x3+3x1, etc...)
Tue. Gymnastics (two hours working on skills in Gym Club)
Wen. Metcon CF
Thu. Gymnastics (two hours working on skills in Gym Club)
Fri. Heavy lifts 1 and/or 1 oly lift
Sat. Metcon CF (hard, one of the girls preferably...)
Sun. Rest

I also do a short (20 min) gymnastics workout in the morning every day mostly isometric holds/ring strength skills combined with some basic tumbling.
Does it sound OK?
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
Steven Low

Profile:

If you can handle it sure.

I assume your gymnastics days you won't be doing strength/metcon afterwards, correct?

Quote:
I also do a short (20 min) gymnastics workout in the morning every day mostly isometric holds/ring strength skills combined with some basic tumbling.
That might be too much, but you never know 'til you try.

I'm currently running (to great effect):
M: 2 workouts
Tu: 1 workout
W: 2 workouts
Th: 1 workout
F: 2 workouts
Sat/sun: Rest

It's pretty much all about what you can handle.

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-25-2008 at 01:50 PM.