CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Neil Khant

Profile:
I have looked through quite a few threads in which people are looking for alternatives to running.

I am wondering people's thought specifically on jumping rope compared to running.

I live up north and there are some days when running is just a little difficult, especially during the winter days.

(Message edited by noodle on February 09, 2006)
Old 02-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

Depending how you jump, I think jumping rope is basically running in place. That is if your doing the running motion ie what I call step-step??? Not two feet together hopping as the rope goes by.
Not that this is wrong but I think it would be a little harder on the joints-but just my .02 worth.If you use a HR monitor you'll find that jumping rope is very close to running as far as getting the heart going.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hello Neil. I live a little further north than you up here in the cheese head state. I know what you mean about running outside during the winter. I guess it depends on your level of discipline and sub zero tolerance. I run outside all year 'round, through the snow, slush, and rain and blistering heat, but that's just me. I have a background in running from my high school cross country team days to running marathons when I was in my 30's. Now in my 40's I still run but I also jump rope. I have become a big fan of it. I have a couple of friends who use to box professionally and that is something that I picked up from them. Depending on how you do it, jumping rope can give you just as good of a workout as running. However, being stationary while jumping rope, you are not using as much lung capacity I feel as you do when running. You are definitely getting conditioned through high impact cardio from jumping but I think the overall endurance is slightly different. The different is enough to notice. I can jump rope for few weeks or so without running and when I run, I'm dying do to a lack of running. I feel that they are different enough to give you different physical factors. Both give a good cardio workout but I would be reluctant to use one as a substitute for another. Unless you cannot run for some reason, jumping rope is a great alternative, but you are still using your muscles in a slightly different way. Keep in mind, I am not a sports therapist but I have been involved in running for over 25 years and rope jumping for over 10 and these are just factors based on my own observations. I do not know if my rambling has helped but I would try both separately and compare for your self. When you jump try skipping, alternating your steps, using one leg at a time, ski style waist twist with knees together, sprints and with ankle weights. I do all of these and more. That way it will not get too boring.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
One more note: I am not discouraging Jumping rope or running based on whatever your objective is. If possible try to keep a balance and do both. Let me know what you find out.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Taeke de Jonge

Profile:  
Jumping rope and jogging although both give a good cardio workout are in some ways slightly different. Rope skipping is in some senses plyometric by nature, especially when one gets into double under (every jump the rope passes twice) and triple under.

From personal experience I noticed that jogging recruits the hip flexors more and rope skipping (single skips) hits the hamstrings and calves more. When one does a double under one actually does a tuck jump and the hip flexors are there again recruited greatly.

Jumping rope has the advantage that it is more efficient. 5 minutes of jumping rope is the equivalent of jogging slowly for perhaps fifteen minutes. So my physiotherapist said.

Rope skipping also has the benefit that it can be less boring. i.e. You can do crossovers, boxer skips, running motion, cross country jumps, double under (hot peppers) just to name a few.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
It may be theoretically equivalent to jogging from an HR standpoint, but we don't "jog." We sprint. And there is no substitute for sprinting. Get in a good talk with your hamstrings and abs after tear-assing across your neighbor's yard chasing the clock.

That being said, I think everyone sweats the subs too much. Nothing is equal to wallball, or running, or any of the other common ones. If you plain and simple can't do that motion, don't! Jumproping would be fine. So would rowing. Heck, so would wallball or burpees! Mix it up! And run when you can!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
Neil Khant

Profile:
It hasn't been that I can't run.

I am just being a wuss. But I don't want to be missing out by subing when I just don't feel up to running in crap wheather.

I'll take the advice and mix it up when I feel like being a wuss.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Beau Bray

Profile:
Re: Running vs. jumping rope

Just curious, how long would one have to jump rope for a 400 meter run? The same amount of time it would normally take them? Or should like 400 rope jumps be done for 400 meters?

-Beau
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

If you're good at jumping rope (i.e., efficient), then you'd need to do it longer, or do double-unders . . . jumping rope (once you're skilled) isn't nearly as taxing to the body as running.

If you're not good, but can string together 10 - 20 in a row, then an equivalent amount of time is probably about right.

If you're so bad that you are continually missing after every 2 or 3 jumps and have to re-set, then I don't think jumping rope is an appropriate sub for running . . . better to follow the advice earlier in this (old) thread

If you're good at it (i.e., can easily do 100 skips in a minute), then you probably need to do double-unders for the same amount of time as you would run 400 meters to approximate the effort.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Beau Bray

Profile:

Awesome, thanks for the info! I didn't know how old this thread was. Can't be accused of not using the search function at least!