CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I'm looking to see what everyone else does when it comes to stretching, so just post your routine or whatever it is you do.

I normally have 8-12 different stretches I do after my workouts. Shoulder dislocates, skin the cat stretches (is this the right term for it?), straddle stretch, splits stretch, 3 different hamstring stretches, quad stretch, butterfly, lower back stretch, seal stretch and calf stretches. So, how bout the rest of you?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Matthew Mackey

Profile:
I've lately gotten in the habit of using the foam roller at the gym after workouts as a cool down/stretch with pretty good benefits.

As far as my regular routine, I like to do some joint mobility routines from warrior wellness, I do a couple hamstring stretches, occasionally calf if they're excessively tight, and some lats. I also often stretch my hips and quads, as they've almost always got residual tightness from ultimate frisbee practice. I stretch the rest as they feel too tight, I'm not too high-maitenance stretching-wise at this point (which is nice).
Old 09-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
i second that getting into the habit of using a foam roller
i am supposed to use it daily (sometimes i um, forget...:dunno:)
it hurts like , and i hate it, but it does wonders for loosening up my quads, IT bands, and lower back.
and after much deliberation and resistance I am going to start using it daily after workouts. As matthew says, it has pretty good benefits

also, issue 15 & 16 in the performance menu has a great article about flexibility and stretching: Getting Stiff, part 1 & 2- super fabulous stretching ideas with pictures
here is a link that will direct you to the performance menu back issues, follow the getting stiff 1 & 2 links...
http://www.cathletics.com/resources/articles/index.php
Old 09-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
3rd on the foam roller...of course I keep it simple and stretch all different positions...shoulder dislocates, deep squats, hip flexors, itb, hams, aka...whatever is tight!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
got this off dragondoor a while back..always thought it made a good point:

A seemingly harmless thing to do is to slump forward after a kick-butt set or workout. Don't! Renowned physical therapist Robin McKenzie explains that most back pain is triggered by overstretching of the ligaments and the surrounding tissues. Which is in turn often caused by bad posture, especially the loss of the arch in the lower back. “After activity, the joints of the spine undergo a loosening process. If, after exercise, we place the back in an unsupported position for long periods, distortion within the joint readily occurs. This is true whether we sit in a slouched position or whether we stand, bending forward with our hands on our knees.”

Avoid slouching, and perform five back bends immediately before and after lifting. “By standing upright and bending back before lifting,” explains McKenzie, “you ensure that, as you begin the lift, there is no distortion already present in the joints of the lower back.” Place your hands in the small of your back pointing your fingers downward and keep your legs straight. Bend back slowly using your hands as the fulcrum, pause for a second, and return to the upright position. Try to bend further with each successive rep.

Just because your back started hurting immediately following a given activity, you should not automatically blame the activity. Things are not always as they appear to be; most likely it was your slouch. So avoid slouching after vigorous exercise, and wrap up with the same five back bends. Some Russian coaches have their athletes lie on their stomachs and read a book after a practice.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Excellent point Mike
Old 09-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Interesting...but how to reconcile with the stretch recommended by Tommy Kono (and Coach Burgener) where you take a light weight standing up straight and then curve down as far as you can to the floor. Like a straight-legged deadlift gone bad. I've added that in after tough workouts and I think it helps relax the muscles. Kono also felt that it would strengthen the muscles protecting the spine. His argument, as I recall, was, "yes, lift correctly when doing higher weights, but also work the muscles that protect the spine."
Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I think the mckenzie thing he was emphisizing was to have a lordic curve during cool down and I know this has helped me allot.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Ok, can someone give me some links to site where I can find out more about this foam roller? I have never used one or seen one, and it sounds like it'd be good to use.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
Here are a couple websites:
http://www.nefitco.com/foam_rollers.html

http://exertools.stores.yahoo.net/follerstm.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/3407871/ref=pd_sl_aw_bnag-1_sports _19827849_4?tag2=amd-google-20