CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
I'm not sure if this question would be better placed in another section, but here goes...
Can anyone explain the physiological reaction to high intensity exercise that we all have come to know as "Pukie"? I am certainly aware of it's existence, but I don't really understand why it happens, and why it often seems to be a slightly (few minutes) delayed reaction...
Pukies little brother, Vurpie (half vomit, half burp) seems to visit me at the end of almost every WOD, and I have persistent abdominal pain with annoying frequency. I can't quit, but I sure would like to be able to understand!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
im def not an expert, but from past posts, i remember people saying that it was from a rush of growth hormones that gives your stomach that upset feeling. Also it could be from food that you ate prior to working out.. I know that if i eat with in an hr of training i get real sick to my stomach.

Anyways thats my guess. Lots and lots of growth hormones being released by your body through the WOD, which in case causes your stomach and body to know "Pukie".. cant wait to see what some of the experts on the board have to say...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
How soon are you having something to eat before working out?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:
i dunno. i haven't personally met pukie yet. i always thought that the sick feeling had something to do with the amount of lactic acid you produce during a workout.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I remember reading that it may be due to the dramatic increase in lactic acid within the muscles.
:dunno:
Old 11-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
I think it has something to do with the blood moving out to the extremities during vigorous exercise and the stomach empties its contents so as to allow the body to utilize all of its energies to accomplich the vigorous exercise.:puke0000:
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
It's a survival instinct built in, for example..a snake takes a long time to digest a pig or some other large animal (the big lump in him). The snake will lay there and basically do nothing and use all it's energy till the digestion is done. If you try to approach it and scare it enough, it will regurgitate the animal so it can have energy to defend itself...it cant do both. Same prinicple applies to humans. Digestion takes a large amount of energy to do (blood flow to intestines, production of enzymes, break down to essential amino acids, etc..etc). So if you do an extremely intense exercise, the body will direct all blood flow to your working muscles...to the point when it basically tells your body to dump the contents of your stomach so it can use that energy towards whatever activity (including recovery) you need it for. Survival.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Thats a GREAT analogy there mike!! kudos to you sir!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Vurpie is so nasty! :crybaby0:

You can't tell anyone about it, what are you going to say… Hey I just puked in my own mouth and then swallowed it.. yuk!

You just have to suffer in silence and feel like plus it tastes so wonderful and doesn’t burn at all..augh!

If you NEVER met pukie have you been pushing yourself hard enough? :showoff:
Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
Ragnar Speicher

Profile:
ha! cool thread!
when doing normal fran im just "§$$&§$! afterwards - no pukie. but lately after this "strung-out, backwards, and upside down fran" i felt really sick - beginning with the last thrusters. i wonder what made the difference (physiological)...

mike that is a cool analogy. how would this explain though, that some people also get this sickness when doing max weight (1 rep) squats and the like? sure enough, lifting heavy is hard work (esp. for cns), but not something i would associate with a life threatening flight-or-fight-situation. :dunno:

what i ask myself: is it desirable to reach pukie state, or is the sickness a warning signal which should make me go easier? (even if ego tells me otherwise)