CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
John Edmondson

Profile:
How many garage gyms?

To all the affiliates out there, how many of you are currently in the garage? I'd be interested in hearing about your experience so far, as I am planning/hoping to do the same in '08. Membership, equipment, advertising, insurance, anything at all that you'd like to share. Even if you don't feel like typing I'd love it if you'd post the link to your site so I can check it out. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: How many garage gyms?

www.motorcitycrossfit.com
I'm in one
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Chris Drewry

Profile:

I posted a nice pictorial of my experience on my main blog. Insurance is cheap, basic trainers insurance/homowners insurance.

Space is a bit of an issue already, but I can train 2-3 clients at a time in there no problem.

Last edited by Chris Drewry : 12-20-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Nick Hobby

Profile:

I am also dreaming of starting a garage gym affiliate in 08' and would like to know of others. I know of a few but I would imagine there are more that I don't know of. What is the recommended insurance coverage for a garage affiliate as opposed to an actual gym affiliate? Does a person need another type of training certification for this insurance or is a crossfit certification sufficient? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hobby View Post
I am also dreaming of starting a garage gym affiliate in 08' and would like to know of others. I know of a few but I would imagine there are more that I don't know of. What is the recommended insurance coverage for a garage affiliate as opposed to an actual gym affiliate? Does a person need another type of training certification for this insurance or is a crossfit certification sufficient? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

Homeowners insurance and a standard trainers policy($200) should be more than ample insurance.

CrossFit certificaiton is highly recommended, possible some of the other offered certs as well if you are unfamiliar with certain aspects. i.e. kettlebells, olympic lifting or jumprope.

Try to create as profesisonal of an atmosphere as you can, dont present your business as though it belongs in a garage.

Live by virtuosity and reap the benefits.

Hold on to a few key dedicated personal training clients for a while (3-6 months) before you try to expand into group classes. Once you reach the brekaing point, move to a different locaiton.

The best thing I love about being a garage affiliate is this...

All the money I make from the program, goes right back into the program. And its a difference the clients can see. When they walk in every week and see new equipment for us to play with, I honestly think it helps with client retention.

Good luck
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Nick Hobby

Profile:

Chris, thanks for the advice. I also want to be a garage gym affiliate so that I can put the money back into my gym rather than using it to pay the rent on a larger space. I like the idea of training a small number of clients so I can do it in the evenings and keep my day job as a PE teacher which I love and do a lot of crossfit with anyways. My main question is, if I become certified as a crossfit instructor, do I need to get another more recognized certification to get the trainers insurance? Could I get the insurance with just a crossfit certification? I am already registered to attend an Oly lift cert. and am waiting for a level 1 cert. to take place in my area. I am just wondering if I also need to look into any other certifications?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Nick,

No certification is required for trainer's general liability insurance. Only get those certs you feel will be valuable to you in the future. I say dont wait for the Level 1 cert to come close to you, instead travel to one. It was an invaluable experience for me and I truly wish I had attended one sooner.

Now if a level 2 would pop up on the schedule....
Old 12-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
Joey Powell

Profile:

We are one as well. Agree with Chris.

www.thechaoscompound.com
Old 12-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #9
Rex Ablao

Profile:  

JOEY!

Me love your gym long time! Your webpage is the sheeznit!

-Rex
Old 12-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Chris Drewry

Profile:

Joey Stole my neon orange color.

This is true.

And Im going to steal his font.

Also true.

Good guy, Joey is.

Train with him, you must.