CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Luke Hale

Profile:
What to do when you can't do the main WOD?

Yesterday I did the main page WOD - DL / HPC / Push Press
(well, with scaled weight)

But I can't do today's WOD - it's too wet to go for three separate 400m runs and go in and out of the house, I don't have kettlebells and I don't have a pullup bar!

I usually have to sub pullups for bent over rows (best I can manage at the moment) but there seems little point subbing all three parts of a WOD!

So how do I pick a different WOD to do that is within my means? (I have a bar and some weights, and dumbbell 'bars')

I was thinking either:

Tabata Squats followed by Tabata pushups and then tabata situps

or

Front Squats 5 5 5 5 5

is there a full list of all common WODs somewhere so I can scan through and pick something I have the equipment to do?

help! ...please
Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Re: What to do when you can't do the main WOD?

Luke,
I usually grab a WOD by scrolling down and finding one I have the equipment for, or check the FAQs for one of the girls/Hero WODs, or make up my own, or check out the Comprehensive Bodyweight Workout list that's at the top of the page under the "Workout of the Day" section (i.e. the one you're in right now). Almost no equipment necessary.

As for Helen:
- if you have dumbbells, you can do dumbbell swings, just make sure you're hanging on tight.
- you can sub almost any "cardio" move for running: DUs, mountain climbers, etc. Just do it for the amount of time you usually spend running 400m.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Luke Hale

Profile:

Cheers Lauren, a few times now I've picked a more suitable WOD from further down the main page

my only worry is that I assume the WODs are picked so that there is a good mix of strength and metcon and balanced muscle groups?

or does that really not matter?

eg yesterdays WOD was DLs, HPCs and Push Press ...so should I try to do a WOD with no similar moves? I certainly wouldn't do DLs or any shoulder presses again, but what about weighted squats?

I've made up my own WOD before:

Front Squats, 5 reps
Push-ups, 21 reps
Front Squats, 5 reps
Push-ups, 15 reps
Front- Squats, 5 reps
Pushups, 9 reps
Front Squats, 5 reps
Push-ups, 6 reps
Front Squats, 5 reps
Push-ups, 3 reps

...might do that
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Luke,
I try to balance it out while following the main page as close as possible. I also train at the affiliate in town, so I'm less concerned with days I might miss something; I usually hit it later.

You might want to consider (assuming your budget allows) a cheap membership at a globo or something to that effect that would allow you some access to pullup bars (though even I have one of these), and other equipment you might not have.

Otherwise, I mess with the WODs all the time. I've done Fran-ish (Thrusters and Pushups) and Helen-ish (Helen with DBs and a flight of stairs) and I never really feel bad about it. My usual at-home WO consists of strength work (5x5 squats or whatever) and an intense metcon like Fran. With this combo (CF Strength Bias) I don't feel like I miss too much if I have to shift away from the main page.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Yeah, remember its functional fitness...

the last time I did Helen (at the awful globogym with the WORST PU bar ever located down the stairs and around the corner from the treadmill) I just did push-ups instead of pull-ups (oh, and I had to swing a dumbbell instead too).

Modify it if you need to.

KK
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Justin McGinley

Profile:

If I absolutely cannot do the workout of the day, I try to work on my weaknesses that day.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Lift, throw and carry heavy things.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Jay Ticer

Profile:

Glad someone asked this, as I was wondering the same thing. I had to help the Mrs. pull a foal yesterday (horse vet, and all) and this morning my back and shoulders were, to put it mildly, remonstrating with me rather strongly.

Squats would be a bad thing, so I'll scroll and find a more suitable one.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Something that has worked very well for me is to stay about a week or so behind the main page WOD. Most of the time, I do the WODs in the order they're posted, but if need be, I can go a day or two out of order to accomodate whatever circumstances I may have going on.

Justin and Jamie's ideas are also great.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Zach Gates

Profile:

Bookmark both the CF main page and the Fredericton affiliate. That way you've got around 10 workouts per week to choose from, so you can always supplant one for another.