CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Francis Palattao

Profile:
difference between crossfit wod and affiliate wod

Hi Everyone,

This is probably a silly question but is there any real difference in doing the crossfit on the wod site versus other affiliates that post the wods?

Arent they designed to reach common goal?

Any value in doing one over the other?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Omar Omar

Profile:
Re: difference between crossfit wod and affiliate wod

Affiliates enjoy having athletes do what they program. Both affiliates and homepage WODS are designed to devolpe elite fitness though.

Many people in this forum agree that mainsite WODS lack in heavy days. It's up to you.

If you will fallow an affiliate programing make sure it is legit.

Make sure they have enouph heavy days, enouph bodywieght, enouph metacon, and mix all sports and exercises. All that stuff.

If you post your affiliates website I am sure some real crossfitters that know more than I do will tell you wether it is legit or should not be fallowed.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Affiliate programming differs for many reason from the WOD, but all should have the same goal/result - better fitness.

Affiliate programming can reflect the members' goals and abilities, group size, equipment available, local weather, etc. Doing a WOD with 30+ ppl is quite different than with 5ppl. Rain makes a 5k WOD unappealing. Lots of metcons in a row resulting in drop in attendance leads to an easier week for recovery. Periodic rotation of strength/skill emphasis. And so on....

What you should really watch out for is mixing & matching programming. The WOD/Affiliate programming will (hopefully) strive to keep a good balance, but by mixing programming you'll upset that balance, so be aware of how much work you're doing in each modal domain. 5 solid days of metcon kinda sucks, and though 5 days of strength sounds like fun you'll be losing your metcon edge.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Joshua Refenes

Profile:

I can only speak for my affiliate, but our programming doesn't always follow the WOD. Sometimes (like today) it's because the main site is a rest day and our affiliate has CrossFit sessions 7 days a week.

I'd say right now it's split about 50/50. Our instructor is great in that, if a particularly intense/difficult WOD is posted on the main-site he'll either modify it, or replace it completely since most of us are novice CrossFitters. Our longest CFer has only been doing it seriously for 8 months (he sometimes will do the main-site WOD even though the rest of us arent), but the rest of us have less than 6 months experience.

Eventually I would like to work my way up to where I can complete the main-site WOD every day, and I know our instructor would have no problem with me doing that on my own, seperate from the rest of the group.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Logistics issues can also change what an affiliate would program.

What if they only have one glute-ham machine or a couple of rowers? Only DB instead of KB. Only squat racks, no squat cages, etc, etc.

While you can scale the mainsite WOD, many affiliate attendees/athletes won't be able to do it as RX'd and heck, many of them are still going through their foundations courses if a foundations program is set up.

As well, let's say you're paying for an hour, and your commute time ( there and back is an hour ). I'd be kinda irked if for that time, your WOD is Fran, so ya go there and WU ( 10-15m ), do Fran (5m), and cooldown ( another 10 ). Hell, I'd rather spend 30m doing some skill work before or after, but depending I might be completely fried from whatever the WOD is.

Some affiliates follow mainsite but track it one month behind or a week behind for planning issues as well.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Thanks for the responses, but if given the choice assuming you have all the equipment required to do any WOD. Which WOD would you prefer to do your affiliate or crossfit main site?

My goals right now are just being fit, and just to become an all around athlete.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Depends, I'd prefer to do CFSB or CFFB but some affiliate programming is interesting. Mainsite can be cool.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post

Many people in this forum agree that mainsite WODS lack in heavy days. It's up to you.
I too agree with this and i'm a flippin newbie lol.

Is there a place (perhaps on this forum) where members post a supplemental routine to go with the heavy day WOD?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

No. Look into MEBB in the CFJ.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Eric Lester

Profile:

Unless you have specific goals for yourself that detract from your affiliate's programming I would follow that. Suffering through the same workouts builds comraderie