CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
David Stegman

Profile:
So I'm officially 13 months into my "life changing eating habits"! I want to say Thanks to everyone on this board.....I turn to this site for everything when it comes to eating & training right. As with a lot of people that choose to change their lives they have a lot of people around them that just don't "get it". It can be difficult at times and it's nice to know there are many others out there!

I'm now the person everyone I know asks about diet plans and eating right. It seems to never end! Every night in BJJ class someone wants me to lay out a diet plan for them etc. It's crazy what kind of an influence you can have on people when they actually see results.

I'm 6'3" and I'm 34 years old...by the way!

I started out weighing about 185lbs. Not sure my BF% but it wasn't on the good side. I looked bloated and my face was pudgy along with my belly and love handles and my athletic ability wasn't all that great.

I'm now right at 167lbs. with what I would guess would be around 6-7% BF. I don't look that light and I feel great...strong, fast, agile, and balanced. My BJJ training is better than ever thanks to all the reading here and my crossfit workouts. Pretty much everything I've learned about eating came from this site......so.....I'd love some feedback on my "diet".

Here is my typical day:

Breakfast:
4-5 scrambled eggs -cooked with a bit of olive oil , salsa on top.

8-11 oz. fruit smoothie - mixed frozen organic berries, pure acai, water, 1 cup of frozen chopped spinach.

1 slice of spouted wheat bread, very small amount of butter

Mid morning snack:
5-6 almonds
1 cup grapes
16 oz. iced green tea

Lunch:
1 pouch of tuna
1 sweet potato (plain)
2-3 cups of spinach or other greens
small handful of almonds

Mid afternoon:
1 Banana
2-3 small slices of turkey (free range, low sodium)
1 apple

Dinner:
Similar to lunch but change the protein source i.e. grass fed burgers, chicken, fish.
Asparagus/Greens
Sweet potato

Before Bed:
small protein shake made with egg white protein, frozen berries, water.

I drink 1 gallon of water a day.

That's about it. My main staples of eating....I rarely cheat and when I do it will be a bite of this or a bite of that. Never a full serving of anything bad.....I feel good and I've adjusted well to eating like this. I actually think "plain food" tastes good and I can immediately taste something that has "other stuff" in it etc.

Just wanted some pointers if anyone had any!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Chris Tracy

Profile:
David,

Strong, fast, agile and balanced... very nice! Congrats on your progress.

Different diets work for different people and I would agree with most of what you are doing with the exception of all the fruit. Your protein looks good, maybe up the good fats?

You mentioned that your 6'3" and 167lbs... that seems way too light to me.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Dan Ensing

Profile:
David,

6'3", 167lbs... long and lean. I bet you have a killer leg triangle.

Not to hijack, but more to affirm Zone and BJJ training. I've been training BJJ for about 2 years now. I started the Zone towards the end of December, but dialed it in starting Jan. 1. Once I got it all squared away I really saw my BJJ performance go through the roof- stronger, faster, less fatigued. One thing I do do is up my fat (olive oil) content of my snack before class. It's really seeemed to help.

Dan
Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
David Stegman

Profile:
I hear ya Dan. I've been training BJJ for 10 years now. At 34 I'm better than ever...not only technique wise stamina, strength, and agility wise. I attribute most of that all to crossfit & diet.

I realize I'm pretty light for the height but in order for me to gain weight (muscle) I would have to spend more time lifting vs. BJJ. With a full time demanding job, 2 kids,and all that goes with regular family life it's tough to find the time. I don't look 167 so I guess that's a good thing.

I do eat a lot of fruit though....it's kind of tough not to though. Fruit is so portable and easy to eat. I need to replace my fruit intake with more veggies but I find it difficult to prepare stuff that can go with me etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I haven't made the switch to zone, you can see what I'm eating in another recent post, but d*mn, it doesn't look like you eat much! I'm 190lbs, and if I ate what you ate I'd eat a whole chocolate cake every afternoon to try to get more energy.