CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Tim Cox

Profile:
5 Months Post ACL-Easing back into Crossfit?

About 3 years ago, I got into Crossfit and did it for about 8 months with great results. I had a completely torn ACL, but I braced it up during exercises. A wrist injury(Not Crossfit related) resulted in me quitting Crossfit.

Exactly 5 months ago, I had an ACL recon.(hamstring) and has some of my meniscus trimmed off. The knee feels very stable now, but it is still uncomfortable to run, and deep squats are not an option at this point.

Has anyone eased back into Crossfit 5 months post op that can offer some advice on exercise substitutions for exercises like deep squats, thrusters, etc.

To give you an idea of where I am physically, I've been training pretty intensely for 3 months now after surgery (bodybuilding type routines) and doing elliptical cardio 2-3 times a week. I had stopped a couple months before my surgery. I've worked out pretty consistently for the past 14 years. I'm in pretty decent shape, but not "crossfit shape" by any means.

Any advice is welcome.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Trey Orr

Profile:
Re: 5 Months Post ACL-Easing back into Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cox View Post
About 3 years ago, I got into Crossfit and did it for about 8 months with great results. I had a completely torn ACL, but I braced it up during exercises. A wrist injury(Not Crossfit related) resulted in me quitting Crossfit.

Exactly 5 months ago, I had an ACL recon.(hamstring) and has some of my meniscus trimmed off. The knee feels very stable now, but it is still uncomfortable to run, and deep squats are not an option at this point.

Has anyone eased back into Crossfit 5 months post op that can offer some advice on exercise substitutions for exercises like deep squats, thrusters, etc.

To give you an idea of where I am physically, I've been training pretty intensely for 3 months now after surgery (bodybuilding type routines) and doing elliptical cardio 2-3 times a week. I had stopped a couple months before my surgery. I've worked out pretty consistently for the past 14 years. I'm in pretty decent shape, but not "crossfit shape" by any means.

Any advice is welcome.
Hey Tim - I'm only 6 weeks post op with a hamstring graft and I'm going nuts not being able to do any oly lifts. I've done about a million push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups during my recovery but I have an awful feeling that my strength and wind are totally shot. When were you cleared to start oly lifts? Also - as long as you're clear to do squats, etc. - I'd say go light and focus on form. I wouldn't quit doing squats or thrusters unless you're surgeon told you not to do them.

On a side note - I've been to Lafayette (actually Gueydan) duck hunting several times. Great people and good food.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Tim Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Orr View Post
Hey Tim - I'm only 6 weeks post op with a hamstring graft and I'm going nuts not being able to do any oly lifts. I've done about a million push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups during my recovery but I have an awful feeling that my strength and wind are totally shot. When were you cleared to start oly lifts? Also - as long as you're clear to do squats, etc. - I'd say go light and focus on form. I wouldn't quit doing squats or thrusters unless you're surgeon told you not to do them.

On a side note - I've been to Lafayette (actually Gueydan) duck hunting several times. Great people and good food.
Yea, great people and food definitely describes this area.

My Doc said no competitive running, jumping or cutting until 6 months, so 1 more month to go. I'm not sure about Oly lifts though. I'll have to ask him in my visit next month. I started doing wall squats with a stability ball probably around week 6 in therapy along with lunges. When I go into a deep squat with no weight I can still feel a lot of pressure in my knee, so I don't feel comfortable doing it just yet.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, you can get back to explosive stuff, but I wouldn't do it until at least 10-12 months or more after surgery. You don't want to jack anything up especially with heavier weights on you that can screw you if you mess up even slightly.

Focus on getting quad and hamstring strength up, and improve your mobility as well.

Make sure your quad,hams, adductors,abductors are all loose and strong. If you poke into them they should shake around like jelly like the muscles of swimmers do when they move their arms around when they're about to perform.

Basically, muscles shouldn't be tight but loose with no tender spots when you're not using them.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Just curious are you under the care of a physio? Normally they should give you a 6-12 month guide of what you can do post surgery.

Back in September last year I had ACL Reconstruction, a Fulkerson Osteotomy and Renicular Release all in the one surgery. I've basically been given clearance now to do anything as long I don't get any pain, the only thing I can't do is run.

It might be worth checking with your physio or surgeon to see if you have any restrictions on what you can and can't do
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Tim Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian Steele View Post
Just curious are you under the care of a physio? Normally they should give you a 6-12 month guide of what you can do post surgery.

Back in September last year I had ACL Reconstruction, a Fulkerson Osteotomy and Renicular Release all in the one surgery. I've basically been given clearance now to do anything as long I don't get any pain, the only thing I can't do is run.

It might be worth checking with your physio or surgeon to see if you have any restrictions on what you can and can't do
I stopped going to my physio a couple months ago. I was pretty much told the same thing you were about doing anything as long as I don't get too much pain, but only after 6 months with a brace on. I go back to my ortho next month and I'll discuss the Oly lifts with him.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Hope it all goes well for you
Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Tim Cox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian Steele View Post
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Hope it all goes well for you
Thank you, and the very same to you.

I'm going to get busy with some filthy 50 tomorrow morning with a few subs to start the week off right!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Nice!! Hope you have a good workout!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Tim Cox

Profile:

Had a great workout this morning. We did a modified version of the filthy 50. I subbed a few exercises and didn't do the double unders, but we finished in 50 min. Pukie was knocking on my door.