CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Glen Genet

Profile:
RE-check Squat and check Strict press and deadliest

Today I'm posting three form checks.

1. Squat @ 185LBs
I posted another one yesterday with the instructions of less steps out of the rack, get a tighter core, and strap on them oly shoes. So here is my attempt at those corrections.

Back Squat 185LB. (WFS)

2. Strict Press@ 115LB
It has been a while since I've done press. my previous 1RM was 165LB so I thought this would be just fine but I tweaked my neck on it.
Here is my thread in the injury forum about that (WFS)

Here is a video of me pressing (WFS)

3. Deadlift @ 185LB

Here is the video of me deadlifting.(WFS)

Look forward to your experienced opinions.
Thanks for helping me become better!

Glen
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: RE-check Squat and check Strict press and deadliest

I though the squat looked fine. I wonder if you could get your elbows down just a touch more if your really want a criticism. But, they are probably fine.

Press--looked good too. Just make sure you don't hyper extend the low back when the weight gets tough.

I really can't see anything that sticks out on the deadlift either.

Maybe a front or back angle of the lifts can show if there are any other issues. Overall, look reasonable.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Glen Genet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I though the squat looked fine. I wonder if you could get your elbows down just a touch more if your really want a criticism. But, they are probably fine.

Press--looked good too. Just make sure you don't hyper extend the low back when the weight gets tough.

I really can't see anything that sticks out on the deadlift either.

Maybe a front or back angle of the lifts can show if there are any other issues. Overall, look reasonable.
Robert Thanks again for your input. I can't decide where I like my elbows more up and back or down. I've heard both and I haven't felt a huge difference. Aside from getting more of a shelf when they are back.

My press felt the worst of these three. I am really trying to squeeze my glutes tight, I could probably do a better job of that still to help with the lower back.

Thanks again

Last edited by Glen Genet : 03-05-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: I AM A TERRIBLE TYPER
Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If you feel locked in place and don't tip forward where your elbows are now you are fine.

For me elbow positioning is in a spectrum. More elbow back and up means a better shelf and possibly the ability to carry the bar lower, but this risks tipping your forward when coming up. More elbows under will help you stay upright but may make it harder to lock the bar in place. Based on your body type and muscle bulk will determine the sweet spot that locks you in place without pitching you forward.