CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Wilfred Lamb

Profile:
Form Critique Please

Snatch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQyQ...xnz2wwYK49l42g

Clean & Jerk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQc-i...=share&index=1

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Form Critique Please

Looks pretty good, IMHO!!

I would have you work on arching your back more at the start, get the chest up more. Also, don't rip the bar off the floor, it should be a nice controlled pull, or pushing the floor away-type leg press movement.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Wilfred Lamb

Profile:

Thanks!

And I always have this problem. I always get conflicting advice. One side would say to rip the weight off and should get fast even shows video of Olympic lifters who does this. And then the other camp says to keep the first pull slowed and controlled.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfred Lamb View Post
Thanks!

And I always have this problem. I always get conflicting advice. One side would say to rip the weight off and should get fast even shows video of Olympic lifters who does this. And then the other camp says to keep the first pull slowed and controlled.
Olympic lifters do this because their positions are totally ingrained from doing thousands of lifts.

Don't think "slow" off the ground, think "patient." There's a difference.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Wilfred Lamb

Profile:

Also I can arch my back more when I sit down deeper in my set-up but in my other video a guy told me My hips were actually too lower so then my hips are rising too fast which also compromise my form. So frustrating.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Martin V. Bolanos

Profile:

Hey Man!

Snatch -
does not look bad in my opinion but I would say that you need to work on speed under the bar and getting really comfortable in the rock bottom position. you don't seem to hit rock bottom in either of your vids (maybe just a bad angle) excellent vid for Drop Snatch, Snatch Balance, and Heaving Snatch Balance >>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mddXVpsYLbM (SFW)

Clean - make sure to keep those shoulders over that bar as long as possible and get as much tension in those hamstrings as you can during the first pull.

jerk - when you launch keep your weight on those heels and make sure they are under your hips. You want that force going straight up! On the landing your front shin should be vertical and your back leg needs to be bent a little more because its pushing you forward making you lose stability. When you go heavier your not going to be able to muscle that back over your center of mass.

Concerning your last comment I would say that making sure you keep your back angle (hips and shoulders rise together, not one faster than the other) throughout the first pull is the most important
Remember its a non stop journey so use that frustration to make improvements! Pick up some olympic lifting books as well, it helps alot learning from people who have done this stuff for decades! All the best man!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Wilfred Lamb

Profile:

Martin,

What kinds of books do you recommend?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Martin V. Bolanos

Profile:

look up catalyst athletics and pick up greg everetts book. he was coached by mike burgener so you know hes pretty legit. He just made a great movie about weightlifting in the states here. Head over to louie simmons site westside barbell and check out the books there. there are some where you can really geek out on the dynamics and intricacies of the lifts, I guess it really depends on how much you wanna feed your brain. Save your dough and hit up a legit seminar. Now a days there are some really good ones out there touring the states (outlaw, catalyst athletics, USAW etc. Do some research and look for something that works best for you. hope that helps!