CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Bjorn Andreassen

Profile:
Advice on kettlebell swing

Hello everyone,

I am new to crossfit and i am currently practicing my kettlebell swing.

I tried recording a grimey video showing me and my swing.

Please comment on my form!

http://youtu.be/SXRROS2WRr4YOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE

I do feel a bit of tension in my lower back, are my spine neutral enough?

All the best

Bjorn
Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:
Re: Advice on kettlebell swing

you're hyperextending when you come up - instead of shooting your crotch out, just focus on squeezing your glutes
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
Adam Zelenay

Profile:

This is coming from a beginner, but shouldn't you also go a bit deeper and stick out your butt a bit ?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zelenay View Post
This is coming from a beginner, but shouldn't you also go a bit deeper and stick out your butt a bit ?
Let's keep it clean, please.

- Mark
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Dakota Base

Profile:

Looks like you're not bending enough at the hips, which doesn't give you enough ROM for a powerful pull, and limits how far rearward the bell can swing, costing you momentum on the upswing.

In this case, don't confuse "going deeper" with bending your legs more. For whatever reason, we've defined the KB swing to be "non-squat," so all of the propulsion on the bell should come from the extension of the hips.

Inevitably, you'll have tension in your low back. You're bending at the hips under load, with suspension at the shoulders. Focus on keeping your lower back and spine erect so it only carries the weight, and doesn't MOVE the weight. Let your glutes and hips do the work.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Think of doing an air squat with perfect form - essentially the same motion. Except now the energy from the "explosiveness" of your hips extending will radiate to your arms lifting the kettlebell up.

You could also try this: Start in the bottom of the (air) squat. Make sure that you still feel your hams/quads/glutes loaded and active. Everything tight - core, etc. Now "hike" the kettlebell back like a football. You should feel your legs/core load and want to pull the kb back through your legs and up as you extend your hips. Once the kettlebell reaches desired height (Russian vs American), pull the kettlebell back down between your legs and drop back into the loaded air squat position you started with...feel the reload...explode up...pull kb down and squat...reload...explode...etc, etc. Much easier to demonstrate than try and write out. Sorry.

When you're doing these correctly, it is very little overall work on the arms relative to the legs/hips/core...other than the fact they are the tether connecting the kb to your body.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
Think of doing an air squat with perfect form - essentially the same motion. Except now the energy from the "explosiveness" of your hips extending will radiate to your arms lifting the kettlebell up.

You could also try this: Start in the bottom of the (air) squat. Make sure that you still feel your hams/quads/glutes loaded and active. Everything tight - core, etc. Now "hike" the kettlebell back like a football. You should feel your legs/core load and want to pull the kb back through your legs and up as you extend your hips. Once the kettlebell reaches desired height (Russian vs American), pull the kettlebell back down between your legs and drop back into the loaded air squat position you started with...feel the reload...explode up...pull kb down and squat...reload...explode...etc, etc. Much easier to demonstrate than try and write out. Sorry.

When you're doing these correctly, it is very little overall work on the arms relative to the legs/hips/core...other than the fact they are the tether connecting the kb to your body.
Kettlebell swings aren't squats. Thist post is off the mark. While I personally tend to favor the squatting KB swing as to include more muscles in the movement, that's NOT the purpose of kettlebell swings. Guys think they're trying to throw the KB UPWARD, which isn't what you should be doing for KB swings. The force should come from the hips, not the legs (squatting).

It's a really common mistake that a lot of guys make, but KB swings shouldn't look like air squats.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Guys think they're trying to throw the KB UPWARD, which isn't what you should be doing for KB swings. The force should come from the hips, not the legs
Read the first 2 sentences of my post again. Granted the word "essentially" is a bit subjective but I'm trying to give the OP marks he may recognize or already have mastered. Tried to put emphasis on hips generating the power both when I started my post and when I concluded...but perhaps the description fell short.

In related news, while I agree that squats are focused on the legs, I engage my hips as well. This is especially true when coming up and past 3/4 of the way to completion - it is (for me) the hips that extend and finish the squat. Thus the beauty of the squat - it takes on nearly the whole body! In fact, I recently had a fail b/c my arm cramped while squeezing my shoulder blades and the bar in a heavy squat. Was bizarre...but demonstrated that my entire body was engaged to some degree with the movement.

OP-
PLENTY of videos, etc that can help you here with KB swings. A simple Google on "Kettlebell swing" would be a great place to start.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
You could also try this: Start in the bottom of the (air) squat. Make sure that you still feel your hams/quads/glutes loaded and active. Everything tight - core, etc. y.
Tried to edit this...but no go. Actually, you are NOT in the bottom of a squat b/c you do not break parallel. This allows you to keep aforementioned muscle groups tight and loaded. Think of posing somewhat like a silverback gorilla with its knuckles on the ground. Sorry for the confusion. Again...plenty of vids, pics, etc out there on this movement.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Mustafa Tahir

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Kettlebell swings aren't squats. Thist post is off the mark. While I personally tend to favor the squatting KB swing as to include more muscles in the movement, that's NOT the purpose of kettlebell swings. Guys think they're trying to throw the KB UPWARD, which isn't what you should be doing for KB swings. The force should come from the hips, not the legs (squatting).

It's a really common mistake that a lot of guys make, but KB swings shouldn't look like air squats.
Yup.. KB swings are NOT squats! start the movement with a hip hinge.. if you don't know what a hip hinge is, learn that first before u try KB swings