CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Richard Ross

Profile:
Just about done with my onboarding My CF total?

Just at the end of my on boarding.
Some observations... IF you join an affiliate try to find one that does 1 on 1 on boarding.. their is no way I could have picked most of this up in a group.
Loosing up and flexibility is KEY... if your body doesn't move the lifts are never going to happen..

Since alot of WODs use body weight if your very overweight.. its really tough to get going.. but I believe as does my coach that once the weight comes off things will start to fall into place

Dont over think the movements..
Check out mobility WOD for lots of info.
Youtube is a great resource..

For those with experience.. i did my crossfit total today..
I am 6 foot (should be 195) but am 285 and without sugar coating it...FAT.
My CF total was 765.. i am a little bum ed should I be or it that a decent about? My overhead press was pathetic.. squat was over 300 DL over 300 I think.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Just about done with my onboarding My CF total?

why would you be bummed? you are just getting started. we all start somewhere. some are skinny and need to gain weight. some a fat and need to lose weight. some are strong but have no conditioning. some are weak and need to get strong. at this point be happy that you are starting. don't worry about where you are, worry about making progress one day at a time. set some goals and be happy when you hit them, then set some more goals. and try to enjoy the journey along the way
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Richard Ross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
why would you be bummed? you are just getting started. we all start somewhere. some are skinny and need to gain weight. some a fat and need to lose weight. some are strong but have no conditioning. some are weak and need to get strong. at this point be happy that you are starting. don't worry about where you are, worry about making progress one day at a time. set some goals and be happy when you hit them, then set some more goals. and try to enjoy the journey along the way
Bummed because the MET con, cardio and body weight stuff I am really crappy @ and was hoping to excel at the single rep stuff
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ross View Post
Bummed because the MET con, cardio and body weight stuff I am really crappy @ and was hoping to excel at the single rep stuff
well hope in one hand and work hard with the other and see which one produces results.

the reality is that you are where you are and it is what it is. right now you need to improve all the way around. you can either be bummed by it or motivated by it. my suggestion is be motivated and take pleasure in making progress. keep working hard and in 6 months you will have made improvement all the way around.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

those are not bad numbers from a beginner. Heck, those aren't much worse than my numbers (in fact the squat is better), and I've been doing this a while now.

Like others said, focus on what you're doing well. There is always something to improve upon - that's the beauty of CF.

What you have going may just be the "I'm a fat guy and I don't think I deserve any praise for working my a$$ off."

DON'T DO THAT TO YOURSELF!

Walking in to the gym and getting started is the hardest part. It forces you to deal with all of the things you have been dreading facing for so long. Clean up your diet, go to the box as often as your body will let you, take pics and measurements, and the results will come. Believe it!

I have a friend/co-worker who is a heavy guy. I have been trying to get him to join my gym for months now, but he has a million reasons why he can't. You overcame the biggest hurdle. I wish I could get him to do the same!

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Richard Ross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spinelli View Post
those are not bad numbers from a beginner. Heck, those aren't much worse than my numbers (in fact the squat is better), and I've been doing this a while now.

Like others said, focus on what you're doing well. There is always something to improve upon - that's the beauty of CF.

What you have going may just be the "I'm a fat guy and I don't think I deserve any praise for working my a$$ off."

DON'T DO THAT TO YOURSELF!

Walking in to the gym and getting started is the hardest part. It forces you to deal with all of the things you have been dreading facing for so long. Clean up your diet, go to the box as often as your body will let you, take pics and measurements, and the results will come. Believe it!

I have a friend/co-worker who is a heavy guy. I have been trying to get him to join my gym for months now, but he has a million reasons why he can't. You overcame the biggest hurdle. I wish I could get him to do the same!

Good luck!
thanks! appreciate it.. it really helps me feel better about where I am ... your right I could be doing a lot worse like .. nothing
Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Quote:
Some observations... IF you join an affiliate try to find one that does 1 on 1 on boarding.. their is no way I could have picked most of this up in a group.
Loosing up and flexibility is KEY... if your body doesn't move the lifts are never going to happen..

Since alot of WODs use body weight if your very overweight.. its really tough to get going.. but I believe as does my coach that once the weight comes off things will start to fall into place

My CF total was 765.. i am a little bum ed should I be or it that a decent about? My overhead press was pathetic.. squat was over 300 DL over 300 I think.

those numbers are great. congrats you just moved the weight of a full grown male gorilla. yup let that soak in. dont beat yourself up cuz you didnt dead 500 yet or squat 400. all that means in that you havent plateued yet. and now the fun begins. You got the fire, you tasted the forbidden fruit and your hungry for more. now comes PR after PR and the joy of that. keep going and great job
Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Greg Togtema

Profile:

I am 6'2" and 205, ex varsity athlete, and while I have never attempted a total, my guess would be 170 push press, low 200s for the squat and the same for the DL. Those are great numbers.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Togtema View Post
I am 6'2" and 205, ex varsity athlete, and while I have never attempted a total, my guess would be 170 push press, low 200s for the squat and the same for the DL. Those are great numbers.
Just to be clear, crossfit total is a strict press, not a push press.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:

Someone once told me in order to climb a mountain don't look at the top...just focus on 20 feet at a time.

Those numbers are super good btw.