CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #41
Maryann Rice

Profile:
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Hello Crossfit community, I am brand new to the forums, and have about 6-7 months of Crossfit under my belt, just completed lvl I coach. I fall into the realm of "used to be in good shape but kinda let herself go a couple years" kind of athlete. I've played a wide variety of sports-fencing, rugby, swimming, tennis, bouldering, surfing, etc. and used to do judo competitively. I wasted a few years in the Globogyms because I didn't know any better .
Crossfit was love at first WOD for me, and I am so glad to be a part of the community. I will try to belay the stupid questions, I may have one or two of those up my sleeve and I apologize in advance for those. Essentially I am a noob after all.
My long term goals: I want to be competition-ready within a year. Not really unrealistic I think (1 RM DL 260, FS 150, Fran is 5:17 but I scale my p.u.)
My short-term goals: Be comfortable coaching others safely and efficiently. Drop about 20-25 lbs. Do some kipping pull-ups (having helluva time with those) and not look like a newborn-baby moose when I do box jumps. Keep mah diet CLEAN. Oh, and run faster. I had been running inefficiently with terrible form for a long time, trying to break those bad habits. Also I'd like to improve endurance for 10k+ as well.
Many thanks in advance for any advice/pearls of wisdom some of you seasoned veterans out there may have to offer.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
Jessica Bailey

Profile:

I am brand new to CF and the board and wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all the info and insight. I've been stalking the board and main site for close to a week and soaking in as much as I can. I did my first workout on Friday and my second today. In my head they both sounded easy but HOLY COW...they both kicked my butt. I am sore, not so much that I can't function but enough that I feel it whenever I move.

I have to say that I am totally hooked. I love that there is no 'routine' and I don't need to spend 2+ hours in the gym to feel like I worked.

I am 34 years old, 5'5" and weigh 169 lbs, no clue what my body fat % is other than more than I'd like it to be.

My goal, for now, is to lose 25 lbs and as goofy as it may sound I want to run a USMC PFT with my husband in December and get what would be a good score for females. Hell, just running the 3 miles with him and being able to do some pull ups will be a HUGE a accomplishment for me.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #43
Steven E Kordisch

Profile:
Wink Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Happy to have completed my very first workout (bootcamp on 9/20/11) with the guys at CrossFit king of the beach here in Long Beach NY . Had some serious delayed muscle soreness (especially in quads) but it's Friday and I'm ready to go back for some more! When I was 15 and playing competitive travel soccer I would "play up" against the 17 yr olds ... Now that I turned 50, I am "playing up" with the 20 and 30 something year olds. That great sore feeling after an effective workout is what moves and motivates me ! Yippee
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #44
Tim Murphy

Profile:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #45
Chuck Tomlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
If only a few people read this instead of asking the same questions that we've heard 213992148 times, then its worth it

P.S. I plan to be at MeatFest 2010... I was out of town on a prior engagement this year.
so whats the big deal on these forums about repeat questions?

When I see a repeat question, I answer if I feel like it or
just skip answering if I don't avoid the thread altogether.
Some folks seem so put out.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #46
Anthony Escalante

Profile:

Hello Everyone,

I am new to CrossFit. I am 38 years old, and former powerlifter type who is seeing a decline in my overall fitness. I don't really enjoy running so that hasn't worked well. I enjoy pushing weight but "MY" weight is pushing up too. I have a physical fitness test in my line of work that I must pass and it helps motivate me to run. But after reading the Crossfit philosophy it looks like it is perfect for me. I have read the threads and watched tons of videos. I have been doing the WOD for this week. Today is day 4. I really like them so far. Thanks for putting this site together and for everyone being willing to help the collective group.
Sincerely,
Anthony
Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
Mike Tyson

Profile:

Hello all. Brand new to CF, haven't even gone to a class yet. Thanks all for this sticky, which is perfect and answered a lot of my questions.

Background: I'm a marathon swimmer. I spend most of my work-out time swimming, 10-15 miles a week, depending upon what's coming up (could get up to 20-25 miles), so that takes up a lot of my time. I started researching CF after seeing some guys here doing it in the gym. It looked interesting, but I seriously just couldn't find the time to fit it in. (The time they conducted the class was when I was in the pool.)

I'm about to depart my current location and settle in VA. I found a CF affiliate on the base I'll be working on, and their hours combined with my (future) work schedule sync up perfectly, so I won't be a CF virgin for long.

My goal is to work on my core. Swimming is so core-based that I want to improve my abdominal muscles, especially the trans-abdominis and lower back. Sometimes, after swimming for three hours or more straight, my lower back (of all things) hurts. I know that if I improve my core strength, my form will improve, which in turn will improve my speed. The fact that CF practitioners all seem to have well-developed lats and deltoids doesn't hurt, either!

Stats: I'm 45, 5'8", 185. I'm not going to do CF to lose weight. I'm happy with my weight (despite what NIH (wfs) says). I'm a (mostly) pescovegetarian with good LDL and HDL. I'm very anxious and excited to get started.

Oh, and before you ask, yes, that's my real name.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #48
Jack Campbell

Profile:

This really helps!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #49
Mike Jaquet

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Thanks for this thread. Most of my web browsing is with my phone which doesn't work well with the search function, so I will save newbie questions until after a main computer search. I'll save my bio and goals for an appropriate time and place.

Thanks for the access, should be a good place for me to learn about this Crossfit stuff.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #50
Michael Lee Cerda

Profile:

Very Brief and Informative at the same time.

-Did not know about taking a week off after CF'ing for 3 months, great tool for the toolbox, THANKS.