CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
jason hunter

Profile:
I'm new here to bear with me. What is this IF protocol I keep reading about.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Intermittent Fasting. Meaning skipping eating for periods of time. Ideally one day on/one day off.

Research shows that IF has several benificial impacts on the body (or actually on lab rats' bodies):

Reduced cancer rates, reduced alzheimers rates, improved body composition (lower fat, more muscle), prolonged lifespan etc.

It all started with CRAN (Caloric Restriction with Adequate Nutrition). With CRAN you literally starve yourself to gain the same benefits (especially the lifespan they're happy about: 10% decrease in food intake = 10% prolonged lifespan ... up until 50% decrease in food intake = 50% increased lifespan, from that point it begins to go the other way again), but the side effects are obvious: Extreme loss of bodymass, bad tolerance to cold etc. Followers of CRAN gives resemblance to KZ prisoners.

IF is best practised with a double food intake on the eating days, so in the end, you consume the same amount of calories.

But skipping meals once in a while gets you pretty much there. E.g. skipping breakfast gives you a fasting period of 18 hours, assuming you eat dinner at 6 and nothing else the rest of the day and have your first meal the next day at 12 o'clock. Eating breakfast and skipping lunch and eating dinner only gives you 10 hrs. Not worth the effort.

A couple of links to give you the general idea (safe):

http://www.life-enhancement.com/arti...ate.asp?ID=851

http://www.arthurdevany.com/2006/12/...tent_fa_2.html

And a little about CRAN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

http://www.calorierestriction.org/

Go Google the rest...
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
jason hunter

Profile:
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
IF is fantastic use the search there is allot of good info here.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Scott Clark

Profile:

I currently do a 16 hour fast. I just started, and I will see about a 24/24 protocol down the line sometime. So far I love it. Eliminates a ton of aggravation, eliminates time cooking/packing food, and eliminates the stress of eating every 3 hours with certain macros.

I fast from 8pm -12:00 noon currently. Break the fast with a nice big, complete meal and then graze. It's lovely.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Yeah, what Scott said I have been doing a 6 hr feeding window for around 8 months and it is simple easy and effective good stuff.

I have a couple pubmed articles here
wfs
http://www.simplefit.org/articles.html

after the first to weeks it is easy, you will be glad you did
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
if I were to do the 18 hour fast eating from noon tell 6 could I stick to my 17 block zone meal during that 6 hour feeding window or do I have to double it to 34 blocks? My main goal is to just lose the last couple #s of fat I have.

(Message edited by iotask8 on August 01, 2007)
Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:
With IF it really all a matter of whether you choose Quantity or Quality. IF/zone/paleo representing quality of course, whereas the bodybuilding and other fad diets representing quality (i.e more calories, less calories, etc).

And the added bonus (*drum roll*)... is that it cuts down on grocery bills! }
Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Nicholas
In a 6-hour feeding window, you eat only about the day's usual amount. In a 24-hour split (often 6PM-6PM), you eat about double.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:
Scott typed: "
I fast from 8pm -12:00 noon currently. Break the fast with a nice big, complete meal and then graze. It's lovely."

I find this to be very interesting. Your window is nothing more than skipping breakfast and not eating right before bed. That should be no sweat whatsoever--cool. It's also interesting that soooo many people are borderline hostile about the concept of skipping breakfast (supposedly the most important meal of the day--an assumption that seems like bunk now), LOL.

FWIW, I'm doing a slight variation that is going well so far. It's just a little experiment. I eat very little (300-400 calories of my 1600-1800) before 6pm, then eat the rest from 6-10pm. That requires next to no effort also. Not sure what benefits I'll see from it. Might be an easy way to ease into real IF. I can tell that I'm getting hungry later and less. I'm trying to hold my calories down to lose 5-10 lb and I've lost 1 lb/week so far without a performance hit.