CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
My birthday is just around the corner and it looks like I'll be getting some bumpers and an Olympic bar.

I'm purchasing the equipment through a local distributor who has very good pricing on the bumpers, but I'm unsure about what Oly bar to get and what would be a good price.

I want to get a bar that can be dropped and not damaged, but I also don't want to fork out money on something that is more than I need.

The distributor had recommended a Cemco bar. I'm including a write up on the bar below. I'd appreciate feedback on the quality of the bar and appropriate pricing. I think I can get it for $200 Canadian.

Thanks for your help.

Bar info:

Cemco Olympic Bars are made from Fatigue-Proof, Ground and Polished, 30mm Steel with a 1200 lb. test to inhibit bending. Self-Lubricating, Nylatron Bushings are used to absorb shock and give consistent rotation through years of usage. A shoulder bolt and proprietary "Snap-Ring" design is used to fix rotating ends to shaft, torqued to 130 p.s.i. and finished with locking compound. Cemco Olympic Bars come in Black Oxide and our innovative HARD Chrome finish. Bar sizes include 7ft., 5ft. and Olympic, E-Z Curl Bars. E-Z Curl Bars come in 52" in length, assuring to fit on all standard racks.

Features
> Proprietary "Snap-Ring" design.
> HARD Chrome or Black Oxide Finish.
> Self-Lubricating Nylatron Bushings.
> 1/4" Space band for proper hand placement and Center Knurl.

Specs
> 45 lbs. = Weight of 7ft.
> 35 lbs. = Weight of 5ft.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
David Cynamon

Profile:
Sounds like a powerlifting bar if the bar is 30mm. If your getting bumpers and you're doing Crossfit, I assume you want to use it for o-lifting and those bars are about 28mm(some other things you may want to think about on bars besides strength are sleeve spin and straightness, these differences can make the lifts smoother and more comfortable)

I haven't used too many bars, I just got a cheap bar for when I'm in Israel because that's what I found at the store up the block from me, I just wanted to get a bar already and I didn't know how to get a better one at the time, it's doing the job for now but I still plan on getting a better one because I see how the lifts would improve with it(not sure if I can take it with me on the plane or how to get one here).

If money isn't an issue, and you just want to get the best bar without paying for something you don't need, you may want to go for a better bar. I hear that the chapman bar is very good and I would've gotten one if I knew I could bring it here and back. You can get the bar from Scott Tully at http://www.bsolympicgym.com/ The elite is about $470 US with shipping, there is also an economy and pro elite, but I don't know the prices. (I also don't know what the differences between them are.)
I haven't heard of cemco. If you look around the archives a bit, alot of people, including Mike Burgener, recommend chapman. If those are too much, there are several York bars that might fit your needs.

What kind of bumpers are you getting? I got some rubber encased iron plates to hold me off until I can get rubber bumpers. Make sure you know what you're getting, some plates aren't really bumpers, they are just iron covered with rubber, then there are iron plates with a rubber bumper on the rim, then there are solid rubber bumpers. Sorry if I'm telling you too many things you already know.

btw, what kind of prices are you getting for the bumpers?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Thanks David.

The bumpers are from York. I have the option of getting all black practice bumpers or the colured competition bumpers. I'm going with the black. Prices are $25 for a 10lb, $63 for a 25lb and $80? for a 35lb. All prices are Canadian.

I certainly don't have $400 to spend on the bar, but I'll look into some of the other manufacturers you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Jason
Old 03-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
Scott at BSOlympic also sells a York International training bar with needle bearings. There is recent thread on it started by Eugene Allen (if memory serves.) He just got one and really likes it. It's about $210. I got in contact with Ironmind to let them know about it too. Don't know if they'll carry it. If $210 is too much, Scott's got another one a little cheaper that sounds decent, if not ideal.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
John is right, the York bar is fabulous. The finish is beautiful, the knurling is just right and the spin is wonderful. The craftsmanship is top shelf and I would highly recommend the York needle bearing bar from BS Olympic. As soon as I think I need an 8th Olympic bar I'll get another one of those.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to get a quote on the York needle bearing bar you mentioned. Now let's just hope the quote is within my budget.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Josh Henkin

Profile:  
I have that York bar and love it!! It doesn't has as much bar bend as high end O-lifting bars, but I actually prefer the slightly greater stiffness. It is a fantastic deal!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Lisa Ray

Profile:
My husband and I just purchased the York bar from BS Weightlifting Equipment as well. I got the women's bar for $200-including shipping, and Mike purchased the men's bar for $249-including shipping. They are awesome bars, at an unbelievable price for the quality of the bar. You get a discount for being part of CrossFit. It took awhile to get them-like a month, but it's worth the wait.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:
I heard back from IronMind. Not sure if they are going to carry it but they can order it for you.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The Cemco bar is assuredly NOT an Olympic lifting bar. You'd be better off with something from BS Olympic or BiggerFasterStronger.