CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
David Sailor

Profile:
I have the York bar from BS:

http://www.bsolympicgym.com/proddetail.asp?prod=6000

I am very pleased with the bar but am wondering if there is any care needed for the needle bearings. One side spins less than the other side and I can hear the friction when it spins. There is a small hole on the outside end of the bar where you can see the underlying bar inside the sleeve.

Should these bars be oiled? If so, with what? At just the ends or also at the needle bearings? I'm posting here so that the answers will be available to all. If Scott is able to chime in, that would be great.

David
Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Jeff Davis

Profile:
I would call York and ask what they suggest, Yorks number is 717-767-6481, then hit 0.

You aren't the only one with seemingly excessive friction. When I received my York International bar one sleeve would not spin. After dropping it a few times during workout, it started to spin acceptably, so Im keeping it.

Another Gent I chat with online ordered the same bar just after me, received it one day after me, and both of his sleeves would not spin!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Michael Street

Profile:
3 in 1 oil in the holes...takes some time, but the spin gets "better".
Old 04-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
The Ivanko technical info page as some nice articles and how to's. There are two articles on "care and maintenance instruction" documents for bars under the maintenance bulletin section.

http://www.ivanko.com/cgi-bin/produc...bcat=tech_main
Old 04-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
David Sailor

Profile:
Mike,

Thanks for the link:

For all, here's the relevant part:

"Once the bar is clean, apply a generous amount of "3-in-1" oil or WD40 to the inside bushing area where the sleeve meets the bar on both sleeves. Work the oil into the bushing and wipe clean. Then apply a generous amount of oil to the end of the bar, through the hole in the chrome cap. Tip the bar up so the oil runs down the bar into the inside bushing. Let it stand, slanted, for about 2-3 hours. Wipe off excess oil and do the other end the same way."

The York appears to be constructed in roughly the same manner, not trying to get into a brand war, just pointing out that the construction of the York would suggest the above is appropriate care.

David
Old 04-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
mark garrett

Profile:  
Wow, my International was great out of the box. Bar care- I put them in a squat rack, shoot 3/1 oil anywhere there is metal to metal contact, throw on a 10k/25# and spin, add oil where needed, wipe excess. The International has "split sleeves" like old Yorks, so it is oiled different than the "York training bar" which is more like the Ivanko bushings. My York trainer and BFS I do tip up, oil and let sit over night once in a while. One thing to check if your International does not spin AT ALL is the roll pin, that holds the end cap from coming unscrewed, is punched all the way in. I had this happen once.
I hope noone feels mislead, my International was great out of the box.
.02 mg
Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Jeff Davis

Profile:
did yours actually ship in a box? mine arrived from York in a plastic sack.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #8
David Sailor

Profile:
Mine came in a cardboard tube, it arrived in great shape, though.

The bumpers were anoter story; 3 of the 8 were chipped or gouged.

David
Old 04-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
mark garrett

Profile:  
Mine was in a tube and, honestly, it was great from the start. Except the knurling. I imagine Tulley has been on the horn with York if this is a common complaint. .02
Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
Jonathan Leung

Profile:
Hey guys, looks like there are some issues with the sleeves spinning. Like Jeff said, the bar that I received would barely spin when I forcefully tried spinning it with my hand. I called up York and they said they would send me out a new bar. I'm praying to God that the new bar works well.

It seems like this bar is having some quality control issues. You get what you pay for I guess. Right now I'm really wish I had shelled out the extra money for a Chapman Elite.

As a side note, Scott Tully has been great putting up with me complaining though... gotta give him credit.