CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Allison Foreman

Profile:
I’ve received many inquiries as to the differences between Olympic Training Bars and Weightlifting/Power bars, so I thought I’d shed a little light for those interested. OTBs are designed for the ballistic, rotational Olympic movements such as the clean & jerk or the snatch. A weightlifting/power bar is designed for the slower, static and nonrotational movements such as the deadlift, bench press, and squat. The Olympic Training bar carries 28mm grip, smaller in diameter than the 32mm grip of a power bar, but with the same static test strength – this will product bar “whip” which assists the lifter through completion of the lift. In addition, the sleeves of an OTB must spin more freely to rotate through the 180 degrees and prevent the torque of rotating plates, which should remain stationary. Needle bearings are used in the internal construction to allow for this movement. Just as you need certain plates (bumpers), using the appropriate bar for the lift will offer optimal performance. Many users didn’t realize there’s a difference, so I hope this helps out! Allison Foreman, York Barbell, Midwest Territory
Old 06-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Allison,
How's the knurling on the International Needle Bearing ball? I thought I'd read it was a bit agressive for Oly lifting. Also, I might be needing a couple of bars for my gym, do you handle commercial sales as well? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #3
Allison Foreman

Profile:
It's slightly more aggressive (pre chalk!) than the USA made Elite Competition needle bearing bar's satin chrome finish, but then that carries an MSRP of $1K. Much less aggressive than others I've seen, and it only carries a list price of $300 ($210 w/CrossFit discount). It also has a heat treated hardened chrome finish, which won't flake or chip. Dual roll pin construction with a split sleeve - no end bolts to loosen, and sleeve is warranted for life against separation from the bar, even under heavy commercial use. Be happy to handle commercial for you - that's actually what I do most.