CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
After searching here a lot, and doing other web searches, etc., I was thinking I would have to either buy something from an overpriced fitness store that sells mostly treadmills to soccer moms but might be able to special order bumper plates, etc., or have to pay some outlandish shipping fees, I may have actually found a semi-local place to buy bumper plates and Oly bar. Just want to get anyone's opinions on the line of equipment they carry. What does everyone think of CAP? I will be training alone, or maybe with an occasional friend in my garage. Not a whole lot of gym environment, high usage type stuff going on. 35# plates for $55, 45# plates for $70... pretty close in price to the Powermax bumpers sold through Gill, and a little cheaper than BFS. My garage does have a lot of heat and some moisture in it, and I'm not sure I need a top of the line bar just yet. Should I pay the shipping on a bar from Gill, or go ahead and get everything together from the local place? Any thoughts/concerns/advice appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, yeah. In case anyone wants to check it out, I am looking at www.warehousefitness.com in Houston.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
CAP is known as bottom end stuff. They do not make bumper plates. The Hi-Temp bumpers seen at that website will be fine. I would get 25# and 45# bumpers.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
I bought my bumpers from Hi Temp. The first set of 45's, I found at a play it again and the rest I ordered direct. The ones that I ordered direct say "CAP" on them. I'm not sure what the relationship between HiTemp and CAP is but there does appear to be one. My CAP bumpers are holding up just fine.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Jeff -

any thoughts on checking out the Kraiburgs at :
www.therubberman.com ?? The prices are very good, they ship from Kentucky and Cfers get 10% off. Also, i just saw the other day that they were running a special: a pair each of 10's, 15s, 25s, 35s and 45s for $550 shipped to anywhere. Not a bad deal if your not picky about having kilos.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
CAP bars are junk. (It's $50 worth of bar; that's what I paid. You get what you pay for. I'm currently saving my pennies for a Pendlay bar. You might want to save the $50 and put it directly towards a nice bar like a Pendlay, York, or Chapman; a good bar makes the Oly lifts more fun.)

Hi-Temp is a great value and you will be keeping some old tires out of a landfill. CAP just re-brands the bumpers they get from Hi-Temp.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

CAP=Junk. Those cheap bars are not designed to be dropped and will eventually fall apart on you--they have really crummy bushings/bearings and have creappy rotation and feel, plus they have zero spring. Save your money and get a good York or Chapman bar. York makes a training bar that is supposed to be quite good, and is not that expensive. I think Scott at BS Olympic carries it.

Those bumpers look fine; The Kraiburgs That Jeremy mentioned are excellent as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Sorry, I was wrong about the Olympic bumpers, they were Hi-Temp. Another page showing Olympic training plates said CAP, and they said they were bumper plates too. Are they wrong, or is there some difference? The Kraiburg prices are pretty close to the warehouse site, so unless someone knows of a big difference or problem with the HiTemp bumpers, I think I will go with them and save on the shipping. I mentioned I had checked out a couple of other places, but I don't have the notes in front of me. I don't remember what brand one had, but I think the Hest Fitness place carried USA brand of bars. Any advice on these? Looking to spend around $150 or less (I hope) on the bar. I think Gill had some that would fit the bill if that is a better choice.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Jim Butts

Profile:
Jeff,

I'm in the process of making the same decisions. Hi-temp or York bumpers, Chapman, York or Pendlay bar.

From this thread I learned:
1) 'CAP just re-brands the bumpers they get from Hi-Temp'
2) 'Hi-Temp is a great value...'
3) 'Those bumpers look fine...'

Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #9
Jeff Davis

Profile:
Hi Temp Inc is the OEM for cap solid rubber bumpers, i.e. they are the same bumpers with different letters.

I might be a lone voice here but I would not buy a York International bar. In my opinion the build is questionable (have read of several issues with sleeve rotation) and the knurling unacceptably aggressive. Yes, I own one.

If you are absolutely set on a cheap needle bearing bar go with the one Karl offers. Gill stands behind their product and will issue you a call tag for returns so you do not have to pay return shipping on heavy stuff.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Pierre Auge

Profile:
As has been said and since I am a distributer for Hi-Temp here in Canada I will clarify. Hi-Temp makes CAP bumpers. While the bumpers are really quite good (best durability for your buck) the rest of the CAP product line is pretty rediculous in quality. I would say junk but that would be giving it a compliment. The only thing I have found that they do right is the Hi-Temp bumpers. In fact if you order a set of CAP bumpers it says Hi-Temp Weights Tuscumbia Alabama right on the bottom of the plate.