CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I want some of the nylon bumpers like the ones at CF Santa Cruz. I can't find them. They are the full sized yellow plates the same size as the other bumper plates. Anybody know where I can get some?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Eugene,
Glen Pendlay sells very nice lexan plates that you can drop and drop and drop. He has 2.5kg and 5kg plates, I remember seeing these exact plates at RBV highschool at the burgener seminar.

I've used them and will attest to their greatness. Better than the crappy plates at CF Santa Cruz that will break if you drop them!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Pierre - the plates I'm talking about at CFSC are the yellow/orange, rubbery ones you see so often in the pics of Nicole doing the OHS or FS or whatever. Those plates were not brittle and did not seem fragile at all to me.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Yeah, a bunch of us wish those were still available. Everyone seems to love em but they haven't been manufactured for a while, AFAIK. Alas.

I think you're SOL on getting these, Eugene. (Unless you happen to stumble across some used, but I've never seen such a thing.)
Old 10-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Roger Smith

Profile:
Back when I had a home gym, I was going to make a pair out of clear lexan. That way you could see threw exactly where the bar is. Though it would be cool. They have a pair that they used for pics in the NSCA training book. Scrap lexan shows up on ebay every so often. Just a thought....
Old 10-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I was afraid of that Carrie. It says BFS on the CFSC bumpers but I don't see them on their website and last time I called them they said they don't make them any more. Maybe I'll make some out of plywood.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
Grady McDonald

Profile:
http://www.werksanusa.com/onlinecart...=8897679.30188
*Hu5PX1&xm=on&product=2_TRAINING

Tha above link takes you to the Werksan Plates that are at Burgs High School.

http://store.wfwclub.com/2trplp.html
Above takes you to the pendlay plates.

BFS stopped making the yellow plates about 3 years ago, they are not cost beneficial to mass produce according to the rep I spoke to a while back. The 10lb yellow plates are the best I've seen to train w/.

A friend of mine cut his trainers out of plywood. They work great and have lasted over a year.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I talked to Hi-Temp of Tuscumbia, AL about getting some bumpers. The lady said they have a 5 lb. bumper at $0.92/lb, like all their bumpers. But when I asked about their being 17.7" diameter, she seemed to think so but didn't seem sure. Anyway, you may consider calling and finding out about the diameter. Number is: 800-239-5066, M-Th 7:30a-4:15p CST.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Rene,
all of the Hi-Temp bumpers bellow 25lbs are of a small diameter, the 5's are about 8 inches. The 10's and 15's about 14 inches.

Eugene,
sorry about the missunderstanding, I thought you were talking on the black plastic 5# BFS plates they've got. Although returning to the point, though they are lexan the plates I refered too above from Glenn Pendlay are awesome and I think will do exactly what you need them to do!

I'm going to be buying some myself for exactly this purpose whenever I get unbroke. Soon I hope.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Whoa! Pierre, thanks for that. I was told the 10s and 15s were of proper diameter. Back to the gym drawing board...