CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Travis Loest

Profile:
I just got my CrossFit Bar in from Gleen Pendlay. It's perfect. I knew that I had been lifting with powerlifting bars. Intelectually I knew the difference but I didn't realize until I wrapped my mitts around the Pendlay for a test of my hook grip what the difference would be. I haven't even lifted with it yet and the bar is truly amazing. I can't wait for my bumpers to come in. I'll post pictures of them when they get here.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34026.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34027.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34028.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34029.jpg

I just wanted to share the experience.:banana:

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-29-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Excuse my ignorance on this. But don't Pendlay bars and their like allow a "whip" in the bar? What this means is that when lifting off the ground at high speed the bar bends. Meaning you are not lifting the entire weight at once -- but the weight is gradually being given to you as the bar ends it's bending. Thus making the lift oh so slightly easier.

Again when dropping under the bar, it bends a little making the reception of the weight "cushioned" or slightly easier to catch. Again making this movement ever so slightly easier.

So -- is this a good thing or bad; or not significant enough to matter; but yet help make the whole lift more comfortable?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Jason Boag

Profile:
To my knowledge, the CrossFit bar has slight whip to it. Competition weightlifting bars have even more whip than the Crossfit bar. The Crossfit bar is a happy medium between a powerlifting bar and a competition weightlifting bar, I believe. I don't know if the bar whip makes the lift easier, but definitely more comfortable.

Travis, you're going to love the bar. The knurling is quite nice!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The whip certainly aids in heavy lifts. Removing the whip would drastically reduce the loads the elites can put up.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Matthew,

Most of the time the bar whip wont be noticable when bringing the bar off the ground. Now yes I can see a little flex in the bar when I am in the gym watching some of my guys like Shankle, Moser, or Ward bring 400+ pounds off the ground very quickly in the clean and jerk, but its not enough to be noticable to the lifter, and certainly not enough to effect the lift when more "normal" weight is used.

The real value of a bar whip is in the more violent phases of a lift, such as the second pull, the dip and drive of the jerk, or the catching of a clean or a jerk or even snatch.

The bar whip has a performance enhancing component. Search Youtube for the vid of Moser clean and jerking 400lbs at 17 years of age, you can see him utilize that bar whip when he catches the clean. He drives out of the hole perfectly timed with the ends of the bar whipping back up and uses that momentum to help stand, it is doubtfull he could stand without timing the whip perfectly.

I have a video on my website of Caleb Ward powerjerking 352lbs at 15 years of age on one of the first Pendlay bars ever made. You can easily see the bar whip like crazy and how he uses the whip to give him a little time to get under it and lock it out.

For most people, however, the performance enhancing component is not the most important thing about bar whip... truthfully most Olympic lifters and certainly the vast majority of people who simply use the Olympic lifts as part of a more varied training program as Crossfitters do will never develope the ability to utilize bar whip to increase performance like the elite athletes I have referenced. It is harder than it looks! For instance, everyone knows Pierre Auge is a good or even great athlete. He can certainly do many things that none of my lifters could do! Yet I worked with him for several hours and I dont remember even once seeing him really "catch the whip" on a clean.

The real value is injury prevention. Think of this, what would you rather do, fall and hit your knww on a wood floor or a concrete floor? You cant see the wood "give" when you hit it, but even the small amount of flex that it provides makes it much more comfortable than the concrete. The same thing happens each time you catch a clean or jerk or snatch. A bar that whips a little is easier on the wrists, knees, and elbows than a bar that doesnt. Over weeks, months, and years this adds up. Anyone serious about using the Olympic lifts for a long term training program should consider this.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Glenn,

Thanks alot for that answer. This is good to understand.

Now I need to start saving for one of those!.....
Old 12-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
I have one of Glenn's bars (a Men's Bar) and now my wife has a Junior Bar. We are extremely happy with ours, and I have not lifted on as nice a bar since I was at Cornell using the old York oly bars. If you are doing heavy squats, that's when I think you notice the difference most acutely.

I can feel the bar wiggle a little when I load up heavy squats, and I try to time it so that I pop out of the hole mid-wiggle, but it is very, very hard to get it "just right". When I catch more than about 100kg in the receiving position for the clean, I also notice a little bit of 'liveness' to the bar, but as often as not it simply crushes me because I time it wrong. (I have been able to pull more than I can front squat for quite some time; it is a weakness of mine. So my 'heavy' barely registers for some people as a warmup!)

I'm sure the Chapman and Eleiko bars are magnificent for those who can afford them, but the fact is that any good Olympic bar with a regulation or near-regulation shaft diameter will feel night-and-day different from the powerlifting and department-store 'Olympic' bars most people are used to. Glenn's bar spins smoothly, has noticeable 'liveness' when loaded up, and has a great knurling pattern. If the whip makes your lifts any easier, feel free to add more weight ;-)

One other thing I'd like to mention is that women with small hands (like my wife) often have trouble using a hook grip on the bar, not only with powerlifting (32mm) diameters, but sometimes even with Olympic (28-28.5mm) bars. Since my wife Catherine received her Junior bar (which has a regulation 25mm shaft per women's Olympic standards) she does not use any other grip anymore. This immediately led to a 60lb. increase in her deadlift and she can now snatch properly.

For women, or men with very small hands, a 25mm bar may enable you to use a hook grip and make substantial gains. Therefore it's worth considering whether the extra $20-$40 for a Pendlay Junior Bar (versus the larger-diameter Crossfit bar) might be money well spent. As Glenn mentions on his page for the bar, if you've got thin enough plates and are strong enough, those stubby little collars are good for 400+ pounds! Just something to consider, for the ladies especially, and for Crossfit coaches who train a fair number of women on a regular basis.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Glenn,
thanks for the compliment, and P.S. I'm working on timing that whip!

Old 12-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
David Sailor

Profile:
I have this bar and more than anything else, I appreciate that there is NO knurling in the center. Cleans and front squats are a lot easier on my neck. Where the knurling is, it's perfect, for me it has just the right feel and grip. David
Old 12-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Tim,

I appreciate the kind words about my bars. I am proud of them and it really makes me feel good to know that people enjoy using them.

But when you mentioned high end bars, you only mentioned Chapman and Eleiko. I feel you should have thrown Werksan in there also, even at a step above the ones you mentioned.

I will not claim a Werksan bar feels superior to an Eleiko, anyone who has used an Eleiko knows that it is a wonderfull product and I just dont know how they could improve it. However, Werksan is also an IWF certified bar, and is very similar in feel to an Eleiko. I personally have used both and cant really feel any real difference. The difference with a Werksan is the guarantee that the seller, Joe Delago puts on them. They are UNCONDITIONALLY guaranteed for LIFE. And Joe is a friend of mine and I know he is an honest guy. Anyone who buys a Werksan bar has a bar that will be passed on to his or her kids, no matter what happens.

I would say that right now if anyone wants the best of the best and has the $700 plus that it takes to buy it, go for the Werksan bar.