CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
Hi all

I'm in the middle of upgrading my olympic bar. I only wish I had known about all this before I bought my Made in China bar:doh:

I live in Canada so shipping, customs etc is a bit of a pain.

At first my budget was around 3-400 so I was considering the York bar and the Pendlay Bar. Both of which I have read rave reviews and posts for.

I just happened to stumble upon these DHS Weightlifitng Bars available locally. They are a bit more, but since I can locally pick up, for only a little extra I could put the money from shipping and customs towards this bar.

As anyone used the DHS brand Training Bar?

http://www.torontoweightlifting.com/shop.htm

Is it worth the extra money? Which in all actuality relative to the Pendlay Bar (so far the Pendlay Bar is the one im considering) is only around 100-150 CDN more.

Thanks
Maneesh
Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
David Cynamon

Profile:
I don't have any personal experience with these bars, but maybe try speaking to Glenn Pendlay. He should be honest and helpful with telling you whether its worth it or not.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
I already spoke to Maneesh about this, my opinion is that the DHS competition bar is excellent. Considering his ability to purchase it without the shipping and import fees, it would be a good buy for him compared to importing my bar.

However, I dont know anything about their training bars. Some IWF certified companies (DHS is IWF certified) like Werksan sell the same bar as their competition bar as a training bar, but they charge a little les for it and sell it without the "IWF certified" sticker. This makes their training bar a pretty good buy. Other companies, like Zhangkong, have a completely different bar as their training bar, and you actually pay a premium for a lower quality bar because it has the brand name on it of an IWF certified company. Since I dont know which DHS does, and have never so much as held one of their training bars in my hand, I couldnt provide an opinion of it.

My suggestion would be to go and observe both bars side by side, if they look like the same bar, the $600 training bar is probably an excellent buy. If they look like completely different bars, it might be better to spend another $100 and get the competition bar, if that ends up being the way you want to go.

One further consideration when spending this kind of $$$ on a bar is the guarantee. If someone wants an IWF certified bar and is willing to pay the big $$ to get one, I usually recomend going to Werksanusa.com and purchasing one of them from Joe Delago. Joe has a lifetime guarantee for the Werksan bar, and it is a good bar. None of the other IWF certified companies have this same guarantee. Now, I understand that the reason you are thinking about spending this much in the first place is the saving from NOT having to import the bar. However, you might just think for one second about that guarantee.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
I got an email back from them.
THey are out of stock of the training bar (600$) and only have the competition bar (900$).
They said to me
THe competition bar is

Calibrated within 6 grams of weight accuracy.
Certified by the IWF.
Knurling is coarser than the training bar.
Bearing quality is much higher than the training bar.
}
Maximum load is 380 kilos.
Pressure tested to 2500lbs.

The bolded stuff leads me to believe that they are two different bars, unlike what Werksan offers.
Either way, 900+tax is a bit out of my range...it would bankrupt me.
So I think the Question Now becomes the York or Pendlay Bar.
I'd love to get the Werksan training bar, but at 699+50 shipping+50customs(minimum) Id be looking at 900 CDN :bolt:

Anyone know the various price points of the York Bars?
So far the Pendlay bars looking mighty attractive especially with that lifetime guarantee :biggrin:}

Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
I was reading one of your older posts where you compared all the different bars.

you mentioned

"The York Elite bar has, in my opinion, the most "bulletproof" design of any of the bars I am rating. The problem with this design is that the "stopper" on the end of the sleeve interferes with loading plates, in fact some brands of high quality plates just plain wont fit on a York bar, including Uesaka and Zhangking. I dont know the specifices of their warranty, but I do know that they are a company with a history of doing whatever neccessary to fix a problem, as evidenced by their recent recall of defective bars."

Ive narrowed it down to the York Elite or the Werksan Bar. I've decided to fork over twice my original limit, and never worry again.
Any last advice on the two?

Regarding the "stopper" that you mentioned, will I have any problems with Kraiburg Bumpers. They aren't exactly high end bumpers but Id hate to get my bar and then find out I cant even load it up! lol

Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Travis Loest

Profile:
Maneesh,
I've got the Pendlay CrossFit bar and It's perfect for me. I'm primarily a CrossFitter and I'm working on getting really proficient at the olympic lifts and it's much better than anything I've used before. Now, mind you, my experience has primarily been powerlifting bars. But the Pendlay is Great!!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
We have some York Bars with the stopper on the end and have not had any problem with Kraiburg Bumpers.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Maneesh Sud

Profile:
Thanks for the input guys!

(Message edited by Mks on January 25, 2007)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
You cant go wrong with either of those bars. Having used both, my preference would be the Werksan, but either way you will get an excellent product.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Adam Morden

Profile:
Maneesh,

We use the York bars at Steel City CrossFit, and have been very happy with them thus far, although the knurling is a bit aggressive to my personal taste. If you were interested in trying out the York bars, we have a bunch of them in Hamilton. Since you were saying that Toronto was Local we are not too far away, and I bet John at www.crossfitto.com has some bars as well.

best of luck with getting your bar =)
Adam
www.SteelCityCrossFit.com