CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
Stuart Smith

Profile:
I know there is a section on rubber coated plates in Australia so I appologise if this is doubling up on subjects too much.

I have had some difficulty locating good sources for firstly a good Crossfit appropriate olyimpic bar in Australia. I know there are lots of Aussie Crossfitters out there so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? Anything reputable and proven that is reasonably priced (whatever that price may be) and works well for what we do really. I thought I had someone a week ago, but I got a call at work today to say that the order could not be fulfilled much to my disappointment, and I am yet to hear why. I had been aiming for a York Elite bar through them, but no go.

Bumper plates have been less of an issue, and I have a couple ideas there, but if anyone had someone they wanted to particularly recommend I would be thankful for the information.

Thank you for your time and support everyone, it makes a difference.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Contact the [Queensland]your state's Weight Lifting Assoc
They may sell you high quality bars and bumpers if you have the money to spend,most likley you will have to wait for when they place an order or if your lucky pick up some second hand ones.
Others
Australia BarBell Company
Hart Sports
And ofcause
Check Grays online and other internet auctions for second hand equipment that might be going for a bargin.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Stuart Smith

Profile:
Thank you Andrew
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Rod Simpson

Profile:
Stuart, for what it is worth here's my 2cents.
I too went through all the effort of trying to track down even reasonably priced equipment in Australia. Sports stores in Nth. Old. don't even know what a bumper plate is.
I got prices from all the usual places, well the ones that could bother replying (won't name them to save their embarrassment). but in the end I imported gear from USA. I purchased this through
http://www.werksanusa.com/
(work & family safe)
I purchased one of their training bars and 90kg of Werksan bumper plates. Even with shipping it was still a cheaper option by several hundred dollars than purchasing the equivalent here in Australia. The bar by the way is a Pendlay bar. The service was excellent and was delivered quicker than what I could have sourced them in Austalia.
To import gear into Australia if it is worth under AUS $1000 at time of import you don't have to pay GST or customs tax. Undoubtedly with further research it would be good to find a cheaper way to ship gear over, as this cost nearly as much as the bar and plates together.
As for Andrews suggestion of contacting the state weightlifting association (QWA)}}, I hope you have better luck than me. I tried several times with no response.
Anyway I am more than happy with the gear I purchased from Werksan and their service was terrific.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Paul MacManus

Profile:
thanks Rod.
as far as I can tell the only places in Australia to buy bumpers are:
Buffalo sports in Queensland ( Eleiko and buffalo ) good service but bumpers are expensive
Gym and Fitness in Adelaide. ( ZWF )
Australian Barbell? They don't seem very interested in personal enquiries
a 140kg set of bumpers (no bar) is about $1500-2000 at cheapest

I also emailed two US companies, rubberman and a weightlifting coach with his own brand of bar. no reply from either.

I'll try Werksan, the black bumpers are exactly what I'm after.

for reference what what the freight cost?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
I think the lackluster response from Aus Companies is due to the fact that in Australia Weight Lifting equipment just does not have a market and so enquiries from individuals aren't considered seriously.
In truth I don't think that will change anytime soon.
People who get equipment from the WL Assoc's are generally weight lifters, again a very small sport in Australia.

Unfortunately the tyranny of distance means that importing quality gear is a big investment.

CFS is hoping that the Aus CrossFit/Functional Fitness Communities grow enough for Local production of “CrossFit” equipment becomes a reality in the near future.
First step is just getting CrossFit as common a Fitness régime as "Body Pump".
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
Stuart Smith

Profile:
It'll come Andrew - one person here, where no one had even heard of Crossfit before, became 3 in a matter of days, and the more I talk to people the more people become interested.

News will spread and people will venture a look - many will walk away, but some will commit, and those commited few will attract others.

There has been a lot of trouble getting equipment in Australia though. My search is not over yet, but it is coming to a close. All the advice and support here has been quite useful to that end so thank you all.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
Rod Simpson

Profile:
Paul, I checked my invoice and the freight was about the same price as the bar and plates. For a training bar (20kg) and 90kg of bumperplates was about US$780 and US$760 for the freight. With the exchange rate at the time it ended costing about AUS$1950. I didn't really start out to spend that much but I figure you can indulge in a luxury once in a while. I justified by telling myself I used all the money that I had saved by never going to a commercial gym.
Like Andrew said it was a big investment, but it was exactly the gear I was after. Plus their service was great, it was good to find someone that was actually interested in selling their equipment. Hope this helps.

Just to illustrate what companies in Australia know or care about Olympic weightlifting. When inquiring about bumperplates etc. with a leading ? Australian company, and explaining what gear I was after and what I wanted to use it for they kept insisting there was not much demand for that "powerlifting type of gear".Go figure, it's no wonder we don't have access to good gear down here.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
:lol:
It gets worse Rod
I've had numerous other "Qualified" PTs refer to my Snatch and C&J work as "Power Lifting Stuff".
Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #10
Jonn Fahlstrom

Profile:
Hello all,

I too have been looking for rubber bumpers, but it is nearly impossible to find. So question is, is it really that important? Wouldn't rubber coated plates be enough? I'm just a beginner lifter and will only use them in my garage gym.