CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Steve Shaw

Profile:
Why would you need 10 lb bumper plates? If any you do involves weights over 135# couldn't you add smaller diameter conventional weights next to the 45# bumper plates? Is this bad for the bar or plates?

I just wanted to get some opinions before I make a purchase.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Jeff Davis

Profile:
For the ladies maybe. Or weak beginners. They put the bar at the right height for a pull. They are much cheaper than training bumpers in KG's.

I use the smaller diameter conventional weights for 5KG and under, and they work fine. Not bad for the bar or other plates.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Steve, the 10lb's are nice to have but if you have 45's and 25's then realistically, smaller conventional plates will be fine. If workouts with lighter oly stuff do come up, just make some wooden training plates by tracing the edges of your bumpers onto a sheet of 3/4" ply. These are pretty sturdy and will still support a small load of additional conventional plates.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I use them for technique work in the O-lifts. Plus, if you or partners are not overhead squatting #95 or greater, the 10s give you a good base...or you could do what Kempie does.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Chris Kemp

Profile:
I have done what you suggest Larry but the 10's I have (others may be different) bend on dropping or when supporting even small loads of conventional plates. I use the training plates in addition to my 10's for lighter loads now.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
James Falkner

Profile:
Also, with thinner bumpers, if you drop from overhead unevenly (where one bumper lands before the other), the thinner bumpers tend to cause the bar to jump left/right pretty far, such as into your car or your workout partner. Not so much with the thicker bumpers.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Solution - don't drop 10lb/5k bumpers. :msn-wink: No reason you can't bring the bar down slow and controlled with 10lb bumpers.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
In traditionally metric bumper plates, they aren't made under 10kg. Bumpers under 10kg -- 5kg, 10#, made out of rubber are technique plates. 2.5kg and 5# training plates are usually made out of plastic. You are correct in that under 10kg, the plates are metal and put along side of the bumpers. You typically wouldn't put a 5kg bumper along side of a 10kg bumper to add weight, you would use a 5kg metal disc.

--

Now with respect to practical training. You can't have enough 10kg plates. From a plate longevity perspective, you should get longer life out of two 10kg bumpers vs. 20kg bumper b/c there is more surface area with the pair of 10kg bumpers making contact with the ground upon impact. More surface area means that the impact weight is distributed over more space and thus less wear and tear on a given area of the bumper. Or at least that is what Frank Eksten, technical director of USAW told me a few years back.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Hmm, interesting regarding 2-10k's vs 1-20k bumpers. We were always scolded by our coach for not stripping the 10's off to add another bumper.

Yes, you would think since 2-10's equates to larger surface area hitting the platform they would last longer than 1-20k. BUT, those 2-10's are not one solid surface hitting the platform. The first things to wear on bumpers is the metal sleeve in the middle. 10's are not as thick as 15's or 20's and constant dropping of 10's with added iron or bumpers on the bar will eventually wear and/or knock those centers out.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
"BUT, those 2-10's are not one solid surface hitting the platform. "

You'd have to figure on average when one drops the bar it will be fairly parallel to the floor...at least for someone with experience.

For the sleeve that you mentioned, are you talking about the bushing or insert on a solid bumper like a york composite or a kraiburg or a larger center metal disc like on an eleiko?