CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-06-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Jason

Profile:  
May this serve as yet another example to all those who are considering starting the Zone and doing CrossFit, but are perhaps a little trepidatious or skeptical:

My cousin/client is a "big-guy" and started doing CrossFit and following the Zone about the first week of June of this year (2002) and has lost about 40-45 pounds of body fat and put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle since then. It took him a long time to finally decide to make the commitment of following CrossFit and the Zone, but the results are amazing. Not only is he simply leaner and stronger, but he now rips through some wicked CrossFit routines that his so-called "fit" buddies who scoffed initially at his new eating habits and training modalities for not being consistent with what they were fed via the mass-media, and leaves them on the floor or in the bathroom. Put simply, they can't keep up with him during a workout. My cousin still has weight to lose, but the results have been great thus far. Every physical task, whether work or riding his motorcycle, have improved and become much easier, and he feels GREAT.

I offer this example to any who may be thinking to themselves that "this might not be right for me". My cousin is a "big guy", and thus for him to be destroying his friends who seem to look so "fit" while during a CrossFit workout, well, ...is somewhat of a revelation to them. My point is; though this program is of great benefit to all athletes, this isn't just for athletes. It is for everyone willing. The results are far more significant than simply losing body fat and building muscle mass. For him it has been somewhat of a life-changing experience.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:22 AM   #2
Ross Burke

Profile:
Congratulations to your cousin Jason, you've done a great job with him! Besides being a 'big-guy' who's opened a can of whoop-*** on his buddies, he's a nice guy to talk with....but then, I like talking about motorcycling :happy:

Ross
Old 10-08-2002, 11:27 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I have been an avid martial artist for years and was a former state champion PL'r. On my own I had devised a combination of OL'ing, gymnastics, and sprints with good results...but nothing compared to crossfit. I have been studying Capoeira and within the last two weeks I have done for the first time: a back flip, back hand spring, a planche, and a few other odds and ends. On the last work out of the day in which I did a heavy single dead lift I pulled 365 like it was nothing! I am about 165 6-8% BF. My sleep has improved and I generally enjoy my workout much more than I have in years. I could go on and on but this is enough for now.
Robb
Old 10-08-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
Mike

Profile:  
The latest issue of the Crossfit Journal arrived in my "in-box," and as usual, is excellent. There was one part in particular that caught my attention more than any other. It was a reference to Crossfit not training with specificity to one activity or another, because life rarely challenges us in this way. My mind started racing when I read that statement. It is true; life is unpredictable. We must be prepared for anything, any challenge or obstacle, that may be thrown at us on any given day. And this concerns all things, not just the physical!! We should be constantly searching to better ourselves in all facets of life: physical, emotional, academic, etc. Crossfit has been a microcosm of life, at times. You are not quite sure what the workout of the day will be, sometimes it is tough and other times it is tougher, and you have to find a way to overcome and succeed. And really, is there anything more enjoyable then doing hard work that is worth doing? I didn't mean to get all "Kung Fu" on you guys, but I believe in this stuff.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:02 PM   #5
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Since everyone else is soul searching, I will to.
I got involved in CrossFit about 2 1/1-3 months ago, and man am I ever glad I did. As a Marine, grappler, boxer, and parent, it seems like everything I do is physical. I am beyond a doubt in the best shape of my life at almost 30 years old, and getting better all the time. I am 6'1", 205lbs, and my strength to weight ratio is ungodly. I won't bore you guys with numbers and pounds until I finally master the damned Snatch.
I am stronger, faster, leaner, and way more powerful than ever.
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words: this was a couple weeks ago at Roy Harris' Grappling Instructors course. I am the second picture down. Thanks Coach!
p.s. The wife likes the new leaner version of me alot better than the 235lb powerlifting me as well.
http://www.royharris.com/newscenter/...instr_crse.htm
Old 10-11-2002, 08:07 AM   #6
Mike

Profile:  
Hey Frank,
I just recently got out of the Marines. Less than a week ago, in fact! What's your MOS, and who are you with? Just looking for common ground, brother. Get my info. from the coach. Semper Fi.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:20 PM   #7
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Mike,
I am a 2862 now, used to be something else, 0331. I opted for the easy life! Might be changing again. I am seriously considering Med School, and the Navy is willing to pay, so...