CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Kettlebell Question for the Experts

We'll be purchasing some KBs in a few months and I was curious to what the experts recommend in terms of Pound VS Kilogram VS Pood. I know most of the WODs involve variations of pood, but a lot of the competitions are in KG?

Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Kettlebell Question for the Experts

Hi Anthony,

If you are referring to "GS" or Kettlebell Sport competition, the weights used are 12k (26#), 16k (35#), 24k (52#) and 32k (72#).

I don't know if that answers your question....

Kelly
Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

anthony,

to clarify: half pood (8kg), one pood (16kg), 1 1/2 pood (24 kg), 2 pood (32 kg).

If you are looking to compete get a competition set. I believe Fedorenko sells the competition style kbs. If I'm wrong someone chime in please.

Hope that helps,
Randy Gruezo
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com
Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Ahh, I didn't realize the pood was based off kg. For some reason I always equated it to 1 pood = 36.

Just to clarify my original question - from the basic research I've done so far, there doesn't seem to be a consistent way to measure the KBs. Some are in KG, some are in Pounds, etc. While being close in weight, obviously there are some differences.

For example, the competition set would be 26, 35, 52, 72 pounds. But if you purchase a set in pounds, you're looking at 18, 24, 36, 55, 72, 88. And I'm sure there are even more variations.

Essentially I'd like to stick with one system once we purchase - my OCD really loves consistency.

So I guess my question is - do the pros have a preference on what system of measurement they use?

Last edited by Anthony Bainbridge : 08-26-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Randy Gruezo

Profile:

Anthony,

I'm not a pro, but stick with kbs since that is what is used in competition.

Randy
www.crossfitsouthflorida.com
Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Anthony,
Not a pro by any means, but I'm getting gung ho about Grivory sport for some reason. I would defer to Catherine Imes, Randy Hauer, Tom Corrigon, and a few of the other AKCs, RKCs that are on this board.

But from my novice perspective, if you intend on doing GS, go with the comp bells - they are way more expensive unless you get an AKC certification. The comp bells are all the same size (in diameter) from 12kgs all the way up to the 32kgs. As best I can describe it, the 12s, 16s, and 24s are the same size as the traditional 32kg sold at DD, K2, etc. I honestly don't know the circumference of the bell, I'm just going by feel.

If you plan on incorporating bells into your workout for fitness sake, there are a bunch of different bells out there that have their strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I have k2 bells and I love them. The handles are a little bigger than DD, which are a little bigger than the AKC comp bells, but they serve the purpose of what I'm seeking. I also have two 40s and one 48kg DD and they are absolutely outstanding. They feel great and the paint doesn't chip. I've used the AKC comp bells and the handles are awesome; as I mentioned, they feel smaller than the DD and K2. I've also tried some of muscle driver's bells and they are really good too. The handles are comparable to k2s and the price is unbelievable.

It's really up to you and what you goals are.

I honestly don't know if I've helped or not?

All the best,
Arden

Last edited by Arden Cogar Jr. : 08-27-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Arden, much appreciated!

I don't know if I'm crazy enough to compete or not, but I think I'll do my best to stay within the comp sizes just in case.

Last edited by Anthony Bainbridge : 08-27-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
Nathan Stanley

Profile:

I'm sure that Catherine will come in and answer your questions better than I can but I know that Valery doesn't advocate using smaller incriments in the sizes of kbs to work ones way up the ladder. I believe that he feels that you should master the lifts at one weight before going up in size. For example, if you can only jerk the 24kg KBs 73 times in 10 min (time limit for GS comp) then you should work up to 100 before moving on. In my experience, its amazing the carryover that high reps w/ the lighter weights will have on your performance w/ the heavier weights.

Last spring I decided to compete at the NAKF's nationals, and at some point realized that the way I was training wasn't moving me along at all. At Catherine's suggestion I dropped the weight down and worked on time rather than reps. When I went to SLC, I hit a PR in the snatch w/ the 72 kgs w/ 81 total, all with only training w/ 24kgs.

Of course all of that is for competitive lifting although I think the benefits of that style of training gave me great results.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Anthony,

I don't know if this helps influence your decision, but I acquired a full set of AKC bells after taking an AKC cert (and had several bells before the cert courtesy of Catherine Imes). The handle size and bell diameter is the same irregardless of weight, so you don't have to relearn bell positioning or pressure points.

I now use only AKC bells, and would do so even if I weren't actively partaking in Kettlebell Sport competitions.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Catherine Imes

Profile:

Hi Anthony,

Nathan and Kelly are correct. If you can afford the Competition/Professional bells, I truly feel they are the way to go. They are the same size regardless of weight and perfect for high repetition snatches, cleans, swings and jerks.

If you are using them primarily for swings, then the brand or type is of less importance. But, for the primary ballistics you cannot beat the AKC bells.

Good luck.
CI