CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
Allison Bishop

Profile:
Re: AllisonNYC

I'm ready for this pull-up WOD tomorrow! Perfect timing...

I can't wait to practice my kipping and see if it gets me more minutes.
Last time I made it 10 minutes with dead hangs.

My hands are my weak link! I feel like my callouses are going to rip off. I tore my first one a week before the Pittsburgh cert. It hurt like heck. Washing my hair was a nightmare.

Tips on keeping my callouses safe would be appreciated. I file them flat but my skin kind of bunches up. Owie. Maybe I'm gripping the bar wrong.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

The skin tends to bunch up until your calluses get really tough. Best I've found is to really drive the hand into the bar while gripping. For example, place your hand slightly underneath where you would normally put it and then push your hand into the bar as you rotate your hand up to the normal position. This stretches out the skin and helps prevent bunching at least a little bit. In any case, if it feels like it's bunching up too much try switching to your fingertips for a set or two; it really helps build your forearms and you won't have to deal with bunching up for a little bit.

Shaving them flat is the best you can get though. Also, try not to rip because it's just like a minor injury -- sets you back for a little bit.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Peter K. Murphy

Profile:

Hey Allison,
Your dedication is admirable, and your involvement on the comments for each day I'm sure inspire many, so Kudos for that. I was just wondering what you do? Are you a student or are you making crossfit workouts your profession? Anyways, keep up the good work.

Peter

P.S. What kinda swimming have you done? Competitive? Sprinter or Distance? What's your stroke?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Profile:

In the short run (for this workout) you could just tape them.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #15
Allison Bishop

Profile:

come on..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
In the short run (for this workout) you could just tape them.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #16
Allison Bishop

Profile:

Steven-
Thanks. I'll try that. I was forced to do some on my fingers once my hands started to hurt. Then I mixed my grip and did dead hangs which helped too. But I want to keep kipping so I'll try your way. It just brings me a little closer to my biggest fear - slipping off the bar!
I think I have a lttle blister under my callous. What's up with that? They're all scratchy and messed up but 2 are sensitive when I push on them.

Is seems that it's just a matter of time before they get stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
The skin tends to bunch up until your calluses get really tough. Best I've found is to really drive the hand into the bar while gripping. For example, place your hand slightly underneath where you would normally put it and then push your hand into the bar as you rotate your hand up to the normal position. This stretches out the skin and helps prevent bunching at least a little bit. In any case, if it feels like it's bunching up too much try switching to your fingertips for a set or two; it really helps build your forearms and you won't have to deal with bunching up for a little bit.

Shaving them flat is the best you can get though. Also, try not to rip because it's just like a minor injury -- sets you back for a little bit.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #17
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Bishop View Post
come on..
... what? Put some tape over the tears. It's not ideal but it'll keep you going.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Bishop View Post
I have no idea how to work this thing!

Previous PRs:
Back Squat - 155
Press - 67
Deadlift - 185

Crossfit Total : November 28, 2007

Back Squat - 175
Press - 75
Deadlift - 205

Huge jumps. I wasn't expecting anything like that. Thanks to Keith W. Since the very first day I walked into the gym he had more confidence in me that I do. He always knows how much to put on the bar even while I stand there scared and shaking my head. I've learned to trust him. That's good coaching.

November 29, 2007

Day 5 in the ZONE:

I had a dream about all of my favorite foods right before I woke up. I'M HUNGRY!
I was feeling great for the first 3 days. I think it's because I started eating later than I usually do so my blocks lasted longer.

Like Nicole said - If you want to lose weight, you're going to be ****ing hungry.

WOD: Run 5k

I don't feel like running. Before Crossfit I NEVER ran more that half a block and that was to catch a bus! Running put me in the emergency room with an asthma attack. Also, my anatomy doesn't make running the most comfortable activity. I Failed Gym 7 times in high school because I refused to run the field in front of a class of teenaged boys. They wouldn't let me pass even though I set records for push-ups and sit-ups (I'm sure looking back those push-ups were less than full ROM).
I was a swimmer. I did laps for 3 hours a day but couldn't run!!

When "Murph" came up I decided I was going to put on 2 sports bras and go for it! The Craziest thing happened! I was able to breathe without a problem. I'm sure the Crossfit workouts have something to do with that. So now I still hate running but I can do it without dying. But not without whining.

I ran for "Helen" and "Nancy" this week. The good thing about Crossfit in NYC is our trainers from the BlackBox come up with a sub WOD for the runs. It's not easy bobbing and weaving through pedestrian traffic.
Allison,
I feel your pain! I've had "the girls" on double-sports-bra lockdown for years! It makes a huge difference in comfort, and they are still plenty significant even smashed into those things like that. And I understand the stares too--I've learned to smile at guys in acknowledgement to let them know that I agree that they're nice! I told a guy I was talking to once to look in my eyes instead of my chest, and he said, "But it's not your eyes that stand out."

Learn to love them!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #19
Luke Day

Profile:

Wow, the famous Allison NYC, right here in our very state! Nice to see you on the forums, welcome to the death of getting any work done during normal office hours.

I agree with Jay, you should most certainly come visit us in Albany. I know that NYC has a strange magnetic attraction that holds all in its clutches, but I bet we work out harder than anyone at the Black Box. After all, we have more gravity upstate. Plus hotter guys.

So bring your two sports bras. We'll supply the kettlebells.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #20
Jodi Bainbridge

Profile:

Hey Allison!!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello and a send a big CONGRATS on all the PR's you've been setting. Keep up the great work!