CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Jim Biancolo

Profile:
Walmart/Champion Olympic Weight Set

Hi folks,

Anyone have an experience/opinions re: this set (wfs link):

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4331598

I freely admit I know nothing about what makes for an adequate Olympic weight setup. Don't know what the quality markers are, don't know what's a good price, etc.

May be a moot point, as the page says both "online only" and "not sold online". :-)

Thanks!

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
John Edmondson

Profile:
Re: Walmart/Champion Olympic Weight Set

I'm sure that's as good a set of iron as any, and what most of us start with. You can do better on price though, if you look on Craigslist. I got my first olympic set of 45# oly bar, 400#+ of plates, and weight tree for $85. Alternatively, you can get bumpers from Wright rubber or Rogue fitness for $1/lb. plus shipping. You'd just need to find a bar. A little steeper in price than the Champion set, but you'd probably be looking for bumpers in a few months anyway.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Biancolo View Post
Hi folks,

Anyone have an experience/opinions re: this set (wfs link):

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4331598

I freely admit I know nothing about what makes for an adequate Olympic weight setup. Don't know what the quality markers are, don't know what's a good price, etc.

May be a moot point, as the page says both "online only" and "not sold online". :-)

Thanks!

Jim
Too expensive.

I bought my 300 pound set at Sports Authority for $120. It seems to be habitually on sale for that price.

But in these type of sets, the bar is not fantastic. You can work with it and its a start point. However, they more than likely won't make it more than a couple of years and most, like mine are Olympic Width, but not weight. Mine is 35 pounds, not 45.

Personally I am getting a little irked off by all the "craigslist" suggestions. It seems to be everyone's response.

I have nothing against craigslist and use it myself. But since I've been doing crossfit for two months I've checked it everyday.

I'm in St. Louis, a major market that serves about four million people. I've seen ony one good deal on plates (.45 cents a pound)...but I have yet to see a bar included in a set that was less than 300 bucks and most of the Oly width bars I've seen are EZ Curls and adjustable DB's. Some Oly bars are included with benches, but they are still too expensive. Most weight sets are the plastic and concrete 70's and 80's style standard width.

I just think that some of these deals on craigslist are once in a blue moon deals. Its important to remember that not everyone is going to score what they need on a site like that. Or do so in a timely matter.

I say start with the Sports Authority set and then save up for a really good bar (a good bar will set you back quite a bit).
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Well now I feel like a fool. No later than 10 minutes after my craigslist rant, I find this on there:

Bicep machine, Magnum Fitness 400.00
Airdyne/Giant stationary bike commerial duty 150.00
Deadlift cage. Promaxima 125.00
Seated row, Promaxima 300.00
Cable pulldown machine. BodyAlive 300.00
Ab machine, Quantum Power Crunch 1000 400.00
Attachments Misc. negotiiable
Bench: Incline/decline 75.00
Flat bench press, Promaxima 75.00
Two Olympic bars: 20.00 each
One 5 Olympic bars
Two 6 Olympic bars
One 1 bars
Assorted Olympic plates: .20 cents per lb
45# 8 plates
25# 4 plates
10# 6 plates
5# 6 plates
2.5# 6 plates

Barbell rack by Parabody 75.00
Commercial mirrors, you remove:
Six 4' x 6' 75.00 each
Two 4' x 8' 100.00 each

I'm going to pick me up some extra 45's. Can't have too many of those for deads and squats!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:

If you don't have the patience to wait for craigslist, sometimes play-it-again sports has descent used iron and better, but not great, bars.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
John Edmondson

Profile:

Re Craigslist: In the past week alone I acquired a roman chair for $40, a second oly bar for $20, and a set of new Powerline squat stands for $50, to say nothing of the Stamina ATS rower for $120, kettlebells for $1/lb., a 20# vest for $20, stall mats for $20 each, and the aforementioned 400# oly set for $85, that I've acquired in the past year or so. If you're patient and persistent, respond early, have cash in hand, and are willing and able to drive a bit to pick up, some real steals are there to be had.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
Re Craigslist: In the past week alone I acquired a roman chair for $40, a second oly bar for $20, and a set of new Powerline squat stands for $50, to say nothing of the Stamina ATS rower for $120, kettlebells for $1/lb., a 20# vest for $20, stall mats for $20 each, and the aforementioned 400# oly set for $85, that I've acquired in the past year or so. If you're patient and persistent, respond early, have cash in hand, and are willing and able to drive a bit to pick up, some real steals are there to be had.
It's not that there are no deals on there. I just think its hit or miss with what's listed. For instance. STL craigslist has been a bust for me. Two months of almost nothing. Haven't seen a KB or a rower on there, let alone for a steal. Very little OLY stuff.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

re: Play it Again Sports:
Plus, they will tack on bumper plates to their orders eliminating the cost of shipping. Wish I had known that when I got my bumpers.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Victor Putz

Profile:

Same troubles with buying used here in the UK... I don't seem to see anything at all on craigslist, ebay, local classifieds, etc. Only thing close was a set of Nautilus olympic weights (not bumpers) that went for 215 (say $400), you pick up... while I could get a decent Bodypower starter set plus storage rack plus a couple bumper plates and free delivery for that price. So mileage definitely varies on the used equipment front, more's the pity.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Jeffrey White

Profile:

I started with about $200 and bought new stuff.

$120 at Sports Authority for #300 pound Oly set.
$15 at Wal-Mart for doorway chinup bar
~$40 at Wal-Mart for two 35 pound DB's
$5 jump rope

Since then (almost a year ago) I've purchased more items at various places, some new, some used, some homemade. But with what's listed above, you can start doing CF at home and then you can piece the other stuff available through things like craigslist, etc...I just happen to feel that the basic foundation stuff you just go ahead and buy.