CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Ryan Jones

Profile:
Ryan's Log

Hi everybody! I'm a lurker and strong supporter of crossfit who has finally decided to drink the kool-aid. I'm a 6'5'', 185 lb, 28 year old male in Long Beach, CA. Childhood asthma (which still exists but isn't too bad) combined with perhaps being the most finicky eater (and hence not eating much most of my life) has left me weak and with no endurance. I found this site maybe 9 months ago and have lurked, dabbled, and read read read until last week when I decided I wanted to just do the WODs and stop trying to figure out what I was going to do at the gym each day. I'll hopefully be posting here regularly but unfortunately illness, injury, and life keeps interrupting my workouts. I'll be aiming for a MWTHF schedule. The Fiance gets me on Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday. When she becomes a wife she'll be embarrassing me in crossfit. Currently she can do 115 straight, real pushups, and just yesterday made her forearms bleed doing a plank competition. Yeah... she's a bit competetive. So am I, but I'm poorly made!

Anyone who wishes to feel better about themselves by looking at pathetic scores by a young man who by appearances is in shape, come visit here

Friday, February 15th
pass me the cool-aid
cfwux3:
Samson Stretch
OHSx10 w/ 20 lbs
Sit upx10
Back Extensionx10 (holy crap my back is weak)
Max rep(that means 3-5) Chin Up (sub 8x 60lb lat pull down on pullup days)
Dip (sub 8x 95 lb decline press on chest days)x5

"Fran"
sub 2x25 lb db thrusters
sub gravitron -120lb close

17:04

Monday, February 18th
stuck at home while my kitchen was torn apart to clean out mold caused by my upstairs neighbor

Wednesday, February 20th
First time doing Squat Cleans as opposed to Power Cleans which I've avoided due to no bumper plates and fear of diving into a squat under the bar.

cfwux3

7x3 Hang Squat Cleans:

3x45 lbs
3x65
3x75
2x85

and then holy crap my left hand hurts, in a bad way, right in the middle of my hand mostly between the tendons of my index and middle finger. I wonder what I did wrong.

Thursday, February 21st
Dinner with parents after work messes up my whole schedule, I plan to do the squats and run outside at home, and then rain arrives. Excuses? Yes. WOD? No.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Ryan Jones

Profile:
Re: Ryan's Log

So, I just found out there's another Ryan's Log, woops, there really should be a uniqueness check on this!

Friday February 22nd
cfwux3
Scaled down the max rep body weight bench press to 135 lbs since the most I've ever done is 155 I believe. I did strict pullups as the bar's too low for me to kip ... and I've never kipped. And it went something like this...
5 rounds for max reps:
135 lb bench press/pullups
9/4
8/3
7/2.75 (alllmost got that 3rd one)
5/2
6/1
(47)
Saturday, February 23rd
I committed to working out on Saturday which I never do as I wanted to do the run/squat workout from Thursday and the fiancee was busy until 6 pm as opposed to the usual 1 pm. I scaled down the 50 squats to 25 and the 400m to whatever one lap around my block is, I'm guessing 300m. The lap was almost all slightly downhill until the very end where there was a steep uphill. That wasnt a very good idea. After lap two I was dying and wanted to quit, but i still banged out a very slow 5 sets of 5 squats. Then I walked lap 3 and 4 and it started raining during lap 3 and I wanted to quit then too, yet I stuck with it and pushed through.
warmup: 3x pushupsx10, situpsx10, pullupsx2
4 rounds for time:
run around the block
25 air squats

16:43

Sunday, February 24th
Spent the day in my fiancee's neck of the woods, she had to film an infomercial for the extreme boot camp she does. Her family has inspired others to join ... plus she's smokin' hot, so they wanted them on camera. Then we looked at tuxes for me for our wedding before I managed to dodge my way out of going to Bed Bath and Beyond to register. Later that night I perused crossfit to find the nutritional value of flax before finding out that the flax pasta we bought was multi-grain pasta with flax, woops, and flax is the dead last ingredient, how useless. I also showed her family the pregnant pullups and nasty girls video, heh, the fiancee has new idols. In short, no workout!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Monday, February 25th

cfwux3
Shoulder Press 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Push Press 3-3-3-3-3 reps
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps

Shoulder Press: 110, 115(fail), 115, 120, 120
Push Press: 85, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125
Push Jerk: 85, 105, 110, 115, 125

Yeah, I accidentally did 6 rounds of the Push Press. I probably started off with too low a weight on the Pushes but I expected to be more tired and for them to be more difficult. The shoulder presses were Rough with a capital 'R.' If I had bumper plates I may have pushed 5-10 pounds heavier on each of these but I almost dropped it on my head as it was.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Tuesday, February 26th

Compare to .... most days.

Drive to work for time.
Do as few reps of work as possible in 8 hours.
Drive home for time.
Have sex for time, I mean reps!
Work on form of dinner composition.
Play DOTA, for kills.

*sigh* forgot to track things efficiently.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Wednesday, February 27th
cfwux3 minus the OHS and back extensions

5 rounds of
run 400m
25 air squats
15 back extensions

Running is my biggest weakness by far. Every time I run a mile it is pure, unadulterated agony and I want to quit about 400m in. So I was interested to see how it would be breaking up 1.25 miles into 5 400m chunks on the treadmill. Remember just last Saturday I did the 4 rounds of run 400m, 25 air squat, around the block at home and couldnt even run the 3rd and 4th round.

Round 1: 6:20
Round 2: 20:40
Round 3: 28:45
Round 4: 39:35
Round 5: 47:50

I had a 9 minute wait for a treadmill between rounds one and two. There was a long walk from the treadmill to the back extension station, including a flight of stairs. I did the air squats using a small stability ball after walking to the back extension station. This workout absolutely wrecked me. I'm happy to say I ran each leg, though about .02 miles of each was at some level of walking waiting for the treadmill to speed up. My back's killing me today, my lower back is very weak. We'll see how I handle the SDHP's today.

I had a nice dinner after this. I went to the grocery store and got a baked chicken breast from the deli, 2 apples, restocked the milk and almonds, and made a meal of it. Tasty.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Thursday, February 28th
cfwux3
minus back extensions
sub 5 reps of pushups with feet on a counter as practice to get myself able to eventually do a HSPU for dips since I'll be doing plenty of dips. My head felt like it was going to explode with blood from having my head upside down, is this normal?

7 rounds for time of
10 SDHP @ 75#s
5 bw bar dips

There was a 15-20s walk from the SDHP area to the dip area.

Time at the end of....
Round 1: 1:30
Round 2: 3:45
Round 3: 6:10
Round 4: 8:19
Round 5: 10:55
Round 6: 13:30
Round 7: 15:23

All SDHP sets were broken, man those were hard with my back fried after the previous days 75 back extensions. I'm sure my form was weak, I was also having trouble keeping the bar balanced with a close grip, it'd wobble side to side some. The weight may have been a bit too high, or it may have just been my sore and weak back's fault. All dip sets were unbroken, my dip has improved quite a bit, however i still feel excruciating pain, as if my pecs are about to tear off of my sternum. My forearms and elbows also scream at full extension of the last rep when I'm dismounting.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Friday, February 29th
cfwux2 (minus back extension, minus ohs, sub elevated 5x pushups for dips)
Back Squat 3-3-3-3-3

I stopped after two rounds of warmup because I wanted to talk to a guy at the gym who I found out does crossfit. He was about to start Linda, which is funny considering at the time I'm posting this Linda is todays WOD. Anyways, we had a good talk and while I was doing back squats I'd get out of his way so he could clean on the same rack. My form felt pretty crappy on the last few sets, why am I so weak?!? However, it did feel better than usual working up to those sets. As pathetic as it may be, this was PR weight, difficult weight. Back squats with no bumper plates or spotter kinda scares me, heh.

Saturday, March 1st

Dragged my fiance to a commercial real estate workshop .... or so I thought, in actuality it was just a sales pitch for an expensive four day workshop. I'm glad the 'workshop' was cheap, I don't feel as cheated. Had scrambled eggs, chorizo, salsa, and guac for brunch. Had chicken marsala, grilled veggies, and a tomato soup for dinner. Oh and decided to participate in the nightly ice cream experiment with a visit to coldstone. Also saw 'Be Kind Rewind,' it was pretty cute.

Sunday, March 2nd

Was planning on doing Cindy or whatever the WOD was if it could be done at home (which it could, since it was Angie), but we stayed in bed almost all day. The movie last night had a trailer for a new Simon Pegg movie so I introduced the fiance to 'Shaun of the Dead' which she enjoyed. We had a similar dinner to the night before and had mediterranean food for lunch. Hummus is healthy right?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Monday, March 3rd

cfwux2 no back extensions, sub 10 pushups for dips, no OHS

Linda

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of

145# Deadlift (was 125 from reps 7->1)
100# Bench Press
75# Clean

38:30

I can neither deadlift 270#s, bench press 185#s, nor Clean 145#s ONCE! So I had to pretend I was 100#s, and even then the deadlifts were way too hard. I did 5 straight to start the first set then was down to singles and doubles. My back is WRECKED today. The Bench Presses were easy, I did every set unbroken. The cleans, again, my left hand. I really need to have someone watch me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've also got some nice blisters after this workout.

Last time I did this workout was on 7/30/07 and I did the following:

10-8-6-4-2 reps of

deadlift 65-65-65-65-75
bench press on smith machine 70-90-110-130-150
clean 65-65-65-75-75

I didnt time it but it took an hour, and it also wrecked me.

Both times I was constrained by using the same bar to DL and Clean with. However this time I just had a 10 and a 5 on each side of the bar and a handy 35 (later 25) that i'd slide on or off for DL and clean. I hadnt checked my log to see what I did last time for this and I'd thought I'd used a lot more weight on the DL. I can now see why this wrecked me so hard this time, hehe. I also havent done DL in a couple months and I think my 1RM is a measly 205 with heavy back rounding. Man my back is weak!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Oh yeah, I had a dream last night that I was ****ing cola and had rhabdo, and it was really peeving me as I didnt want to have to take time off from the WODs and work being stuck in the hospital.

Is that odd?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Tuesday, March 4th
cfwux0 (heh)
half Angie
50 pullups (assisted, holding eachothers crossed ankles)
50 pushups
50 situps
50 squats

me: 15:38
fiance: 13:45

Her first crossfit workout and she smokes me! And she'd already worked out that day .... twice. I'm not surprised. Her ROM on the pushups and pullups were pretty weak, I've never said 'lower' so many times. But to be fair she can't do a single unassisted pullup and she did more pullups last night than in the rest of her life combined. Somehow that makes me excuse the pushups too . We were both quite wrecked afterwards. And holy crap was she hot, sweat glistening everywhere, arms, abs, and back all pumped. She felt the same way about me. Crossfit as aphrodesiac? I think so! Anyone else experience this?

Afterwards we went out to a diner for some fish and once again wished my kitchen was in working order. Had crab stuffed tilapia and there was most likely breadcrumbs in the crab, who knows what kind of oil was in the oil and vinegar dressing, and who knows what they cooked their veggies in. Someone really oughta start a chain of zone/paleo restaurants and fast food chains. How awesome would that be? George Mounce I'm looking at you and your recipe thread!