CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
A Weak Man's Attempt at Change- Starting Strength

Hey all, I'm setting up this log for many reasons; I think it will help me from getting bored and seeking to, as Rip puts it, "F with the program;" I already log my workouts on paper, might as well do it online; and finally, I think it will be a good thing for other weak people to see, as it seems everytime I look at a SS log, the person started off lifting over 200 lbs and at worst started (lightly, for them) doing their work sets at around 135, just going that low to sort out form issues.

My beginnings: I weighed 155 lbs at 6 foot tall in December. I had just finished college, where I ate horribly, worked out intermittently (a few weeks on, a few months off), and, in general, was in poor health. My girlfriend began working out, and she, although she looked great to begin with, started looking exceptional, though she just slimmed down a bit while putting on a little muscle.

I started reading, started eating a little more, and got on Starting Strength, though without the book, through BB.com. Needless to say I had no idea what to do, as many don't, until they read the damn book; with it, I also read Practical Programming. I did it in my basement, having no money to afford a gym, with a crappy 15 lb bar and some crappy weight. I soon ran out of weight, especially on the deadlift. In total, I think I had, at most, around 165 lbs. (For clarification, this is before I bought the book)

Being impatient, I searched around, and like many, did the "throw a stone and go with whatever it happens to land upon." For me, unfortunately, it landed on German Volume training. After about a week of that, I was done with it. Besides being incredibly hard, it was incredibly boring, and quickly caused me to lose interest.

Finally, I, after much recommendation, spent some gift certificates I had on SS and Practical Programming. Further facilitating my weightlifting was my having been hired by NYSC to work at their local club in Brooklyn.

I finally started on SS, with all the OCD that I have when I'm interested in something, reading everything I could by rip, by his disciples, and watching every rip approved squat video, critiqueing videos and seeing if my critique matched Rips, air squatting for form hundreds of times a day, watching squat RX, etc. I began my workouts a week later, with a very light weight and plenty of drive to succeed.

Here are my workouts thus far, complete with a little under a gallon of whole milk a day.

This is for all those who are discouraged by the huge numbers they see out there; not everyone is moving that weight, though we should all aim to be.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: A Weak Man's Attempt at Change- Starting Strength

By the time of my first workout, I had put on about 10 lbs, and was around 165-170 lbs. Warmup weights aren't included, and I did a variation found in PP.

2/18/08
Squats- 95x5x3 Press- 55x5x3 Dead- 135x5x1

2/20/08
Squats- 100x5x3 Bench- 95x5x3 Back ext- bdyx10x3 Chins- Bdyx8, 6, 5

2/23/08
Squats- 105x5x3 Press- 65x5x3 Dead-145x5x1

2/25/08
Squats- 110x5x3 Bench- 100x5x3 Back ext- bdyx10x3 Chins- bdyx7, 7, 6

2/27/08
Squats- 115x5x3 Press- 65x5x3 Dead- 155x5x1 Dips- bdyx15, 12
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: A Weak Man's Attempt at Change in Brooklyn- Starting Strength

Somtime earlier in February, around the 12th or so, I dropped a 25 lb weight off of the smith machine while working. Luckily, my big toe provided a soft spot on which the weight could comfortably land. Unfortunately, two feet plus 25 lbs plus hemophilia equals not good stuff. The toe bled like hell, swelled up something fierce, and stoppped me from training. Eventually I got back, training through the 20's in February, but the toe got infected, thanks to me failing to take good care of it. Had it drained, took some antibiotics, and went back to working out on 3/4/08.

Changing the Format for what should be, hopefully, an easier read. Also changed the workout to standard SS far, replacing chins with power cleans. This is around the time I started browsing crossfit, and I very quickly wanted to start experimenting with the full squat clean, hence some further changes to the program. I know Rip says "don't f with the program," but from reading his ************.com forum, I also know he hates when people don't look at their goals and make intelligent choices, especially when they end up coming to his forum to ask questions along the lines of "Will taking the stairs as opposed to the elevator screw up my max power output on my wednesday cleans?" or, in general, questions where people just avoid using their own goddamned heads.

3/4/08
Squat
-125x5x3 (10 lb jump to make up for missed time)

Bench
-105x5x3

Hang clean
-95x3x5

Chins
- bdyx8,5,3

Sit ups (have been doing these since the beginning)
-bodyx15, 14, 14

3/6/08
Squats
-130x5x3

Press
-70x5x3

Dead
-175x5x1

Pull ups
-Bdyx 6, 5, 5

Sit ups
-bdyx15, 14, 14

Added more of a dynamic warmup- jumping jacks to get bloodflow, light jogging and some other stuff I stole from Greg A's warmup, ie., arm circles, hip circles, etc. Also added Burgener warmup to help with triple extension and eventual workup to snatching.

3/08/08
Squats
-135x5x3 (Finally threw on a plate! I'm a tough guy now! )

Bench
-110x5x3

Full Squat Clean
-45x3x5

Kipping PU
-3, 3 (my first experiment with kipping, I was horrible at it)

Chins (DH)

3/09/08 Metcon attempt
General warmup, Burgener WU

OHS (These were my first attempt, really hard for shoulder flexibility and balance)
-45x5x3

Front Squat (higher reps because of light weight)
-45x10x5

A poor, weak man's modified Cindy- 5 kipping PUs, 10 Pushups, 15 BWS
-Goal was 5 rnds for time, after 3 I considered stopping
3 rnds- 4 1/2 minutes
4th rnd- almost another 4 minutes to complete (3:55)
5th rnd- 2:15 (replaced kipping with strict)

I was near ready to vomit after that, which was my first attempt at doing any sort of Metcon is lord knows how long. I was basically completely inactive for a long time, and this proved how deconditioned I was (am). One of the reasons this took so long was because I am, in addition to being weak and deconditioned, horrible at kipping. I can do strict PU much better than kipping, but this, to me, is even more of a reason to work on kipping.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

Steve, great work! Being OCD is good for this program. Film yourself early and often and don't worry about the weight it will just keep coming. You have everyting you need to succeed, I wish I had your youth! I found this place at 35.....if only...well at least we are here. You are going to be amazed at how your body responds.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Replacing middle days BS with FS to facilitate learning full clean; bumping weight increase to 10 lbs a workout on BS, which raises it from 15 lbs a week to 20 lbs a week. The FS day in the middle should give a nice rest day, though if my BS suffers too much, I might remove it, though I'm more likely to accept a 10 lb rise per week in BS and keep the FS. Kipping PU have completely replaced my dead hangs for now until I get better at kipping. They are hammering my grip, which is great.

3/10/08
Squat
-145x5x3

OHP
-75x5x3

Dead
-195x5x1

Kipping PU
-4,3,4,5 (last set I was able to get into a groove, finally starting to figure these things out)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Update up to this point (3/11/08)

Since december I've gone from around 155 lbs to weighing 180 lbs. This is a 25 lb increase in bodyweight, mostly due to eating 3 square meals a day, something I never did at college, and drinking near a gallon of milk a day.

Squats, which have never come easily to me, being that I was unathletic in my childhood and never developed strong legs (another minus of being a hemophiliac, no contact sports), are feeling easier than ever. More importantly, I'm feeling them where Rip says I should be, in my hammies and adductors. My lower back was getting tight, but that was mostly because, in an effort to increase hip drive, I ended up doing a good morning. I fixed that on the spot yesterday, as heavy weight lets one get away with sloppy form a little less.

I've put on size all over, though, more importantly, I've put of a ton of strength. The one Metcon I did felt amazing, and I will slowly add to that one day a week metcon so long as it doesn't detract from my recovery and gains on SS.

This Friday I'm going to Albany to visit my girlfriend, and will be going to Albany Crossfit to do my Friday SS workout and be critiqued, while also having some work done on my squat clean and snatch.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Thanks for the kind words Ryan; unfortunately I have no digital camera, and worse yet, no one in my gym to critique me (there is one other guy, the one who turned me on to crossfit, but we never seem to be there at the same time). I'm going to Albany CF to get some help when I visit my girlfriend this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Holmes View Post
Steve, great work! Being OCD is good for this program. Film yourself early and often and don't worry about the weight it will just keep coming. You have everyting you need to succeed, I wish I had your youth! I found this place at 35.....if only...well at least we are here. You are going to be amazed at how your body responds.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I'm 2 weeks away from the end of my current SS cycle - also did one this time last year. It does get repetitive, and keeping the progression going has periodically become simply brutal, for me at least.

But it truly works.

I had a #730 CFT in late January, and can hardly wait for to do a CFT when my cycle's done. In the squat and DL, I'm already doing work sets higher than my previous 1RM.

Vastly unsurprising ... but after the 2nd week, my ability to put weight on the bar in each exercise has directly correlated with my willingness to guzzle even half a gallon of milk. At age 45, I've had to swallow handfuls of lactase supplements too, to stay in the same room with myself.

t
Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Haha, yes, the milk can be rough at times. Well, rough or comedic depending upon who else is in the room.

My girlfriend was not happy the first few days of me drinking a lot of milk. What I found hysterical, she most certainly did not. I'm more or less used to it now though, and can drink near a gallon without horrible gas. Now I use whey protein shakes to produce the malodorous monstrosities necessary to drive away loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fetter View Post
I'm 2 weeks away from the end of my current SS cycle - also did one this time last year. It does get repetitive, and keeping the progression going has periodically become simply brutal, for me at least.

But it truly works.

I had a #730 CFT in late January, and can hardly wait for to do a CFT when my cycle's done. In the squat and DL, I'm already doing work sets higher than my previous 1RM.

Vastly unsurprising ... but after the 2nd week, my ability to put weight on the bar in each exercise has directly correlated with my willingness to guzzle even half a gallon of milk. At age 45, I've had to swallow handfuls of lactase supplements too, to stay in the same room with myself.

t
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Steven Quadros

Profile:

After some thought and another reading of Starting Strength, I've decided to forgo replacement of BS on my middle day with FS for now. For one, my BS is feeling awesome recently, so I don't want to F with my form there; secondly, I'd have to make a bunch of changes to the program to avoid FS and full cleaning on the same days with similar weights, which might be a little redundant. Reading the "Useful assistance Exercises" chapter on front squats induced some Rip inspired reticence on my part to change things up. I get a little over excited to try new things, and certainly don't need change anything just yet. Tomorrow, therefore, will be BS, Bench press, Full squat cleans, and kipping pull ups. I might add in Dips, since so far I've been able to recover and keep plowing through these workouts.

I suppose full squat cleaning lightly will be as good, if not better, of a chance to get front squats down.