CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Bumper Confusion

First let me start by writing that I've read a number of threads about the quality of different bumpers made by different manufacturers, and I am completely confused about which bumper I should buy. My intent is not to blast any dealer or manufacturer, but only to be able to make an informed decision. I have pretty much narrowed it down to three: as I'm sure most on this forum would be able to guess

1) Greg Pendlays
2) Jason Wright's
3) Kraiburg's (Rubberman or Againfaster)

1) I haven't heard alot of negative things about Pendlay's bumpers except for the fact that he doesn't offer a 5kg bumper/10# bumper plate and I don't exactly consider that a bad thing.

2) The thing that concerns me about Wrights bumper plates is that I read that the brass insert on the smaller plates sticks out further than the width of the plate which when placed on a bar with larger plates prevents the plates from sitting flush on a bar.

3) With the Kraiburgs, I read that the 10# plates don't fit some bars. This bothers me because how do I know they'll fit my bars. I have two generic olympic sized bars end bolt construction and just got the Economy Bar from Pendlay

The very first bumper thread I read was about Jason's at Wright Rubber, and I was set on those until I read about the issue with the brass insert. Then I became fond of the colored Kraiburg's after seeing them in a pic on the Mainpage WOD but that ended when I read about the 10# plates. Now I'm more or less leaning towards Greg's high temp 140kg set and the 10 piece metal set from Crossfit Socal.

All of the stuff I stated above are things I've read on these forums, and I have no experience with any of the people, brands, items, or manufacturers listed in this post other than Greg Pendlay and only with the Economy Bar I ordered from him. I don't know if any of this is true, and my goal is to get some insight from people who do have first hand experience with some or all of these bumpers to help me make an informed decision. I appreciate any response and would like to say thank you for your help ahead of time.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Re: Bumper Confusion

Well, I can help with your confusion regarding Glenn Pendlay #1.
Pendlay does offer 10lb. bumper plates, as I have a set of 10's,25's,35's & 45's on order.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Carlos,
I am in the exact same boat as you. I also was set on Jason's bumpers until I learned about the brass insert issue, and that his 10's are very wobbly. I have personally used the kraiburgs and there okay except the 10's have the same wobble and they flex quite a bit, I have seen some kraiburg 10s crack but to be fair they lasted a few years before this happened.

My challenge became finding a set of 10's (i am pretty set on pounds and not kilos, I want all my equipment to be uniform) that could wistand the gruiling punishments of being dropped from overhead for years to come and not wobble, break, or "jump".

So I called Glenn, he has high temp 10's that are made out of dense material composed of plastic and I think rubber among other materials (I forget exactly what all its made of now). Anyways, he said he has loaded up a olympic par with hi -temp 10's and 3 - 25lb weight plates on each side over 200lbs in total and droped the bar from overhead on the 10's. The tens held up great with no damage. Additionally, he said the 10's won't cause the bar to "jump" sideways like flimsy kraiburgs and the like do.

So I then asked about his set of 25s 35s and 45s. He said that he has been using these plates for years and has never seen one fail only a very very few had manufacturing problems and they were repalaced pronto. He also said that they fit "like they should" with the hi temp 10's.

I am now sold on Glenn's set and the Hi temp 10's unless someone out there can convince me otherwise. The biggest draw back is that the Hi temp 10's are spendy, around the 120 dollar mark. However, I think they are worth it.

Hope that helps, I am curious to see what other have to say.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dale View Post
Well, I can help with your confusion regarding Glenn Pendlay #1.
Pendlay does offer 10lb. bumper plates, as I have a set of 10's,25's,35's & 45's on order.
Jeff,
If my understanding is correct Glenn offers 10's that are high temp and 10's that are solid rubber, kraiburg style. which ones did you get?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Go with Glenn. Quality bumpers and awsome service.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Jeff Dale

Profile:

I went with the Hi-temp solid rubber because of the huge price difference. I've heard his 10's are more stable than others out there. I can't confirm the brand of the rubber 10's. Depending on how well they hold up and how often I use them, I may buy the HiTech Technique plastic composite ones down the road.

I'll submit a review of the Hi-Temp rubber 10's once I receive them this week.

Happy Easter!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ericson View Post
I am now sold on Glenn's set and the Hi temp 10's unless someone out there can convince me otherwise. The biggest draw back is that the Hi temp 10's are spendy, around the 120 dollar mark. However, I think they are worth it.

Hope that helps, I am curious to see what other have to say.
I'm pretty sure that your talking about Hi-Tech plates, which probably cost more then I'm willing to pay. My plan to avoid the 10# plate issue is to buy a 15# training bar from...........Rogue Fitness, I believe it is. With a 15# training bar and some 25# bumpers I would be able to completely avoid the dropping a 45# bar with some flimsy 10# bumpers that may or may not bend or break.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Christian Sciarrino

Profile:

I have been in the fitness industry for about 20 years. I rep for 12 different barbell companies, from Ivanko to York to Cemco, to Troy and on and on. It has been my experience that Greg Pendlay sells outstanding equipment. I would go with his plates and buy a 5 kg plate from someone else. Hope this helps you out.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Sciarrinio View Post
I have been in the fitness industry for about 20 years. I rep for 12 different barbell companies, from Ivanko to York to Cemco, to Troy and on and on. It has been my experience that Greg Pendlay sells outstanding equipment. I would go with his plates and buy a 5 kg plate from someone else. Hope this helps you out.
Yes it does, and I do appreciate all the responses. So, most of what has been posted thus far has reinforced my opinion that I should go with 140kg High Temp bumpers from Greg Pendlay, the 10pc metal set in kg's (5, 2.5, 2, 1, .5) from SoCal (I actually think the WFW sells it too) for progression in smaller increments, and maybe a 15# training bar at a later time.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
Yes it does, and I do appreciate all the responses. So, most of what has been posted thus far has reinforced my opinion that I should go with 140kg High Temp bumpers from Greg Pendlay, the 10pc metal set in kg's (5, 2.5, 2, 1, .5) from SoCal (I actually think the WFW sells it too) for progression in smaller increments, and maybe a 15# training bar at a later time.
Exactly. In fact, don't wait too long to get the 15# trainer. It will come in very handy.