CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #6511
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
So a furlong = 200m

Rod = 5m

Chain = 20m

I have never heard of any of these units of measurement.
That's because you're from Canada, where they use a rational system of measurement.

Actually, nobody in the US uses them either, but you can find the conversions in the back of a lot of notebooks, calenders, and such.

And for the record, a fortnight is generally 14 days.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #6512
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
That's because you're from Canada, where they use a rational system of measurement.

Actually, nobody in the US uses them either, but you can find the conversions in the back of a lot of notebooks, calenders, and such.

And for the record, a fortnight is generally 14 days.
The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the way we like it. - Abe Simpson
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #6513
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the way we like it. - Abe Simpson
Well played, sir!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #6514
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Whoever came up with English system of measurement was stoned out of his god-damn mind.

5280 feet to a mile? 12 inches to a foot? 16 ounces to a lb? 8 cups to a gallon?

Metric is a lot easier to remember and conceptualize. Which is easier to visualize: one liter or 61 cubic inches? I wish the US would convert to metric so I wouldn't have to covert units when dealing with international data.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #6515
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
Whoever came up with English system of measurement was stoned out of his god-damn mind.

5280 feet to a mile? 12 inches to a foot? 16 ounces to a lb? 8 cups to a gallon?

Metric is a lot easier to remember and conceptualize. Which is easier to visualize: one liter or 61 cubic inches? I wish the US would convert to metric so I wouldn't have to covert units when dealing with international data.
Personally, I don't understand time measurement. Everything revolves around 60's and 12's. I heard somewhere about a timing system used somewhere a long time ago where the day was split into 10 "hours" of 100 "minutes" of 100 "seconds". I was never able to find info about it again, but I think it would make everything a hell of a lot easier.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #6516
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
Sounds like a lot of Sailor nonsense.
None of those terms have a nautical origin. You're thinking of fathom, six feet(approximately) or Nautical Mile 2000 yards (this is equivalent to a minute on latitude roughly)

Landlubber.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #6517
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:

It's 16 cups to a gallon lol
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #6518
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
I wish the US would convert to metric so I wouldn't have to covert units when dealing with international data.
You and every other american with a shred of scientific background.

The good news is in the real world (or at least in aviation) even america only sort of uses the english system. Yeah, everythings measured in inches, but that's it. If something's 400 inches long we just say it's 400 inches, not 33 feet, 4 inches. And no absurd fractions like 17/32", we'd just say 0.531 inches... once you do that it makes most of the stupidity of the system go away since the base unit length is arbitrary anyway.

The bad news is all the machines and tolerances were designed in inches, and you can't change tolerances arbitrarily because it affects the manufacturing process, which is not an option. So while in theory you could convert specs from inches to centimeters, it results in some really confusing tolerances like +/- 0.25 mm instead of 0.01 inches (usually they just call it +/- 0.3, but it's still less intuitive).

[/rant]
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #6519
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Wow. Bicep curls (empty bar) on THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8T-j9IzJ4
I didn't even know they existed
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #6520
Jon Gregory

Profile:

OK so the Haka is a scary little war dance. Whoopy do. Check out the English version.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjLATAUwao