CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
Wink Humbled by the kettlebell

So I knew I was out of shape, crossfit makes that abundantly clear, but I had no idea how reduced to shame I could become from just a hunk of metal. I got my first kettlebells yesterday (an early Mother's Day gift) from Play It Again Sports. I picked up a 14kg and a 16kg Muscle Driver grey series. Since I didn't have any instruction besides the crossfit videos of Jeff Martone, I did Turkish Get Ups and two-handed swings with the 14kg. Even with thick sweat bands on my forearms to provide padding, the back of my forearms feel bruised today just from having the kb rest against them during the get ups. I can't believe how heavy 30 lbs feels when it's in the shape of a kb. I mean, I pick up my daughter in her infant carrier all day long which equals about the same weight and it doesn't feel that heavy. The crossfit videos makes everything look so much easier than reality. I obviously have a lot of work to do. My husband thought that I might be discouraged and think that getting the kb was a mistake. On the contrary, it just fueled the fire in me to get into shape. I look at the abuse of my arms by the kb as akin to Iron Body training in martial arts. Eventually I will toughen up to meet the demands of the exercise. My kettlebells were the most painful Mother's Day gift I've received. Of course, this is only my second Mother's Day as a mom, so it could get worse.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Re: Humbled by the kettlebell

Your experience in not uncommon! In fact, people usually split into two camps when they have a workout - they love 'em or are indifferent/hate them.

I would have suggested you get a 12kg instead of a 14kg to start with, but you can get one if the 14kg is a bit heavy for high rep upperbody work.

IIRC, you emailed me about my KB 101 dvd at Bluecollarfitness DOT com

Glad to see you gave KBs a try!

Tom Corrigan
Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Daniel Gilliam

Profile:

I've had my KB for about two weeks, and I agree! 35 lbs. is a whole different weight when it's in the shape of a cannonball and not a 3 year old. It seems to be more taxing on the body after the swings, especially if you follow it with pushups or a mile run.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Awesome. I remember you asking about them. I know intellectually they are just a hunk of iron, but there does seem to be something mysterious about them. KBs were the first time I had done anything ballistic/explosive, which was a real eye-opener for me.

Oddly enough, swings and get-ups are the "program minimum" in Enter the Kettlebell. It would be hard to find two better things to do.

Good luck...

howard
Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

I would have suggested you get a 12kg instead of a 14kg to start with, but you can get one if the 14kg is a bit heavy for high rep upperbody work.

IIRC, you emailed me about my KB 101 dvd at Bluecollarfitness DOT com

Glad to see you gave KBs a try!

Tom Corrigan[/quote]

Yes, I'll probably have to go back and get a 12kg. I guess, that day I was feeling stronger than I actually am. I also received your KB 101 DVD as part of my Mother's Day gift. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I'm sure it will help a lot. I have already noticed that my grip strength has improved since starting with the kettlebells, even though it's only been a few days. I used to have awesome grip strength in my dominant hand when I was epee fencing in college. I'm very excited to get that back but in both hands this time. Hooray for kettlebells!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

I really like kettlebells. I am in week 10 of Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell, using this work book
w/f/s
http://www.artofstrength.com/OnlineS...7/Default.aspx

The workbook gives you structure and a place to record your workouts.

I have been meaning to post on "The Virtue Of Monotony" for awhile.

ETK is 4 weeks of swings and get ups, followed by 8 weeks of clean & press/pull up ladders, and snatches. It's all I've done for the last 10 weeks. I have gotten noticeably stronger, and can do 75 strict pullups (not in a row of course - spread through the ladders). It's a good program.

I am going to take a week off, and repeat the 8 week cycle, going from a 16kg bell to a 20kg

hang in there.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Slightly off topic...

Brian, have you written something on this? I was trying to get at such a thing with this post (wfs of course):

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31615

Obviously, ETK is not exactly the same thing as my question but hopefully you see what I was trying to get at.

Likewise, shovelglove.com (wfs) would agree with you...and that was the original inspiration for my question.

[/off topic]

On topic...what does the workbook do for you that the ETK book doesn't other than roll the dice?

howard
Old 05-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

Hi Howard

I think the ETK workbook approaches what you are seeking. But it's not a 15 minute workout. I spend 8 - 10 minutes alone, warming up. The workbook takes the need to think out of the equation. Just do what's in the workbook.

The ETK workbook builds slowly. Even someone with poor GPP can get through the first 4 weeks...though they should repeat any weak weeks. I was in poor shape, though strong when I started. The discipline and monotony of the program are great. One or two coaching sessions with an RKC, and one should be able to handle the moves. It just does not require the skill of the Oly lifts.

Re: your on topic question. I don;t know if you have Pavel's ETK book. It is very short on detailed programming for the 12 weeks. That's where Anthony's workbook comes in. He provides the detailed programming.

I was intimidated by the WOD's. The ETK workbook provided a kinder, gentler way to radically imrove my GPP. It has changed my life. Kettlebells rock.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
James Neuman

Profile:

Independently, I just happened to see that workbook online. I'm wondering whether I should get it, and whether I necessarily need to read ETK first.

I just bought my first kettlebell and have had a couple of one-on-one training sessions, with plans to do more and/or classes. With this on-hand training, do I need to read ETK's before starting any program, like that outlined in the workbook?

I find that I am anxious to rush through the initial learning stage and start doing workouts as soon as possible.

(I'm also considering following some WODs mentioned at Crossfit affiliate sites that focus on using the kettlebell, but I suppose that's for a different thread).
Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Jason M Struck

Profile:

welcome to the club!