CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Jennie Yundt

Profile:
Roadside Sign ideas

Good morning!

Has anyone ever had those little roadside signs printed, the ones that stick into the ground? A lot of people use those around here to advertise their businesses, and I'm looking for ideas.

What would you put on the sign if you were doing something similar? It has to be short so that people can read it as they drive by. What about something like this:

"There's fit....Then there's CrossFit" (followed by our logo and URL)
OR
"It's hard, it's simple, it works!" (URL and logo)

Would a "t-shirt" type slogan like that be best, or would you make it more informational? My goal is to post them roadside near some of the bigger globo gyms in our area. There are two globo gyms within 5 minutes of our space, and I want to SAVE THOSE POOR PEOPLE! :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: Roadside Sign ideas

You could do a series of them spaced out down the road..... Start with a teaser... "Are you fit?"........ then.... "Are you CrossFit?"....... "Wanna know the difference?"...... "phone, website, etc."...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

OOH! I like that idea!

Here was another suggestion I had, but I'm not sure if it would grab people's attention:

CROSSFIT FIRE NEVER HEARD OF IT?

COME TRY IT OUT FREE FOR A WEEK.

WWW.CROSSFITFIRE.COM
Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

We actually had these type of stick-in signs made for us last month. Here's what I learned about signs in the process:

-- The average person driving by has about 1.5 seconds to see your sign. It's really about long enough to read one or two words. While clever sayings seem like a great idea, most people simply won't have time to read them, unless they're stuck at a traffic light or stop sign.

--Color is key. We made ours bright red with white lettering and it really "pops" against the background. We also placed one at the focal point on a downward curve so the driver sees it for longer than he would if it was at the top of the curve.

--We may have oversimplified it, but ours just have a big CROSSFIT, a little Watertown, and then the phone number and website. I don't think anybody has time to read anything but the big CROSSFIT when they're coming down the hill near our place but we also stuck one on the other side of the road so that they can read it all while they're stuck at the traffic light going uphill.

--They're not that cheap, at least the ones that last. At $40 a pop, if someone throws it away because it's on their land, it adds up fast so think carefully about where you will place them. Search for friendly business neighbors who won't mind if you borrow a little piece of grass.

I don't know if that helps any but it's just our experience. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
Steve Reggio

Profile:

I have used them, one person has come in two months and said they heard about us through the signs. I made the mistake of writing too much on it.

I got mine through www.victorystore.com w/f s They were about $3 per sign for one color.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Jennie Yundt

Profile:

"I made the mistake of writing too much on it."

Hey Steve, what would you consider too much? What did your signs say?

The ones I'm looking at are the cheap ones; they're right around $4 each with the stands.

CrossFit is so foreign in this area, I want to put something on there that lets people know it's the most super awesome kick-*** fitness program around! (Ok...that's definitely too many words) :-)
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Darren Ellis

Profile:

I saw some signs on telephone poles when I was in Australia a few weeks ago.

They said; and I've adapted it to a CrossFit ad:

Type these words into Google...

Crossfit [your affiliate]

Certainly made me remember it as it was something different.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
Mike Choate

Profile:

Jennifer, we have lots of clients from roadside signs, you have to keep it simple for sure. We run a Boot Camp as well as crossfit, the Boot Camp is realy a scaled down crossfit, most people don't know what Crossfit is but they usally know what a Fitness Boot Camp is. Most of them switch over to full blown Crossfit after a couple of months. Our signs simply say
Fitness
BOOTCAMP
576-7650

We also have some that say Crossfit and then the phone number.

Mike
Crossfit Modesto
Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Pam Munson

Profile:

We've added the 4' x 8' roadside sign with changeable letters (got it from Sam's Club). The road we're on is one lane each way and every morning folks sit in traffic out front. Every evening folks sit in traffic out front. We're giving them something to read. The two sides have different sayings since the same folks are seeing it coming and going and this way they won't be bored. We change out the messages weekly. Like the idea with mailers that it takes seeing your info many times before someone picks up the phone, it takes seeing the messages several times before folks pull in, but it's definitely getting folks to stop in. Plus, the clients LOVE the attitude! Our website is along the bottom, our posted sign is right above it and we have a sandwich board out on the other side of the driveway stating that we have a bootcamp. The sandwich board gets put away 2 weeks of every month and put back out 2 weeks so that it's "new" again. It's working so far.

Pam