CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Buying a kettlebell

Hey guys

I am going to buy a kettlebell - having never used one before (I just use dumbells instead) I was wondering what the best weight to buy would be. Maybe I'll buy 2 or 3 if needs be.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Andres Gordo

Profile:
Re: Buying a kettlebell

If you have never used kettlebells before:
If you buy 2, buy
a 1 pood and a 1.5 pood.
If you buy 3 buy a 1,1.5,2 pood.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Anyone got experience with hollow KBs that you can fill? WFS http://www.kettlebells.co.uk/buykettlebells.html
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...djustable.html (WFS)
I'll stick with my tricep bar ones. It's not quite the same as a real kettlebell, but the price isn't quite the same either!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I know CF tends to start women on the 12 kg bell, and I might suggest you start there as well, even if you're stronger than that, the reason being that learning the snatch and clean and press or jerk will be much easier if you're not struggling like hell to just move the weight. I would also order a 1 pood and perhaps even a 1.5 pood for heavy swings.

I'm a 185 lb male with okay strength and I started with the 1 pood. I find that swings need to be high rep for me to get use out of it, as do cleans, where it's hard to control the explosion I'm used to producing for barbell power cleans, though it works well for learning to snatch, which is quite fun and a great workout. I will, however, be ordering the 1.5 pood; possibly two of them. I'm sure I will come back to my 1 pood child every so often though.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I just found these (W/F/S) http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/kettle-grips.php

They look pretty sweet, but I have never tried them... Thinking about ordering a pair

-Robert
Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

interesting robert.. but they have too many parts.. and really once you start swinging those things.... i would be scared that something is going to work loose and brain some bypasser....or fly across the room and nail the plasma screen.

buy something solid and casted in one piece.. and they will last a lifetime.

busy body fitness in oakland .. have them and they are inexpensive.

score a 35 or 45 for your snatch and press work, and the 55 for the swings when your grip is solid... have to admit... those thing take on momentum easily.

jamie .... same thing.. one piece .. and look around.. your in europe... shouldnt be too hard to find something..

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 06-04-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
John A. Bailey

Profile:

I agree with Frank. However I suggest Dragon Door kettlebells. They are expensive but they are the real deal. No welds and the handle is the right size and the right distance from the bell. I tried less expensive bells and was really disappointed and out even more money. Buy the best and you won't be sorry. 35#,44#,53#.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Bailey View Post
I agree with Frank. However I suggest Dragon Door kettlebells. They are expensive but they are the real deal. No welds and the handle is the right size and the right distance from the bell. I tried less expensive bells and was really disappointed and out even more money. Buy the best and you won't be sorry. 35#,44#,53#.
DD bells are well made, but they aren't really suited to high-rep training. The handle is very thick, and the ergonomics just aren't there for 10+ minute sets. I suggest the competition-style bells available at http://www.fullkontact.com/
They are more expensive, but if you ever get into longer sets, this is what you want. I understand that the 1 pood size from Christian's Fitness Factory are much cheaper and their 1 pood handle size and shape is very similar to the competition style, so its a reasonable alternative.
Not sure if these are available in Europe, but somebody in the World Kettlebell Club should be able to help.
-David
Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Chris Lampe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cooke, Jr. View Post
DD bells are well made, but they aren't really suited to high-rep training. The handle is very thick, and the ergonomics just aren't there for 10+ minute sets. I suggest the competition-style bells available at http://www.fullkontact.com/
They are more expensive, but if you ever get into longer sets, this is what you want. I understand that the 1 pood size from Christian's Fitness Factory are much cheaper and their 1 pood handle size and shape is very similar to the competition style, so its a reasonable alternative.
Not sure if these are available in Europe, but somebody in the World Kettlebell Club should be able to help.
-David
I recently purchased an AKC bell and it's awesome! All of their weights are the same size so the ergonomics are consistent from weight to weight. They are pricey and the demand seems to be high because they are taking a month or more to get to the buyer.