CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
No long workouts for the Games

Has anyone heard a justification for why there are no long workouts in the Games? ("Long" meaning longer than 5 minutes for the upper echelon.) Can anyone speculate? It seems like excluding 20-or-so-minute workouts from the Games is omitting the representation of a pretty sizeable chunk of that infinite range of physical tasks.

Thoughts?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Andres Gordo

Profile:
Re: No long workouts for the Games

Maybe because the amount of people participating, Since they said 20 minute intervals, if they would of put a long workout, they would need longer intervals. (maybe needing a lonnng day?) Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I suspect logistics.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Maybe logistics, but that doesn't entirely convince me. I think there would be ways to plan a longer workout, what with all the volunteers they have and the fact that they had two full days to work with.

Granted, a longer workout would not have worked with the way the Games are scored this year -- the longer workout would be weighted too heavily. But with a different scoring system, I think it could have been done.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

One reason is the simpler ranking format. They are going by total time to complete all workouts so all workouts must be completable in about the same amount of time.

After all, if you have 2 three minute workouts and one twenty minute workout the long workout will be FAR more important to the total time and thus would dominate how people rank.

I love the simplicity of "lowest time wins" but I also want to see more modal demands represented in the future.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

The workouts seemed to be pretty balanced, any glaring weaknesses would become clearly visible. There was a high strength aspect of the workouts that allowed them to get rid of the total, and you still needed a great amount of endurance and speed to compete with the top guys.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of workout do you think they should do?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Maybe logistics, but that doesn't entirely convince me. I think there would be ways to plan a longer workout, what with all the volunteers they have and the fact that they had two full days to work with.

Granted, a longer workout would not have worked with the way the Games are scored this year -- the longer workout would be weighted too heavily. But with a different scoring system, I think it could have been done.
I'm with you... logistics can be overcome. And I agree that there should be SOMETHING over 5 minutes (hell, 4 minutes!) represented.

It is possible (likley?) that the hopper had longer workouts that simply were not drawn. But clearly the 3 set workouts were intended to be very short, and it seems like something should be in at least the 15-20 minute range.

I guess one possibility is that they figure 4 hard metcons, with 1-2 being longer ones, is just too much work, and it would weigh too heavily on the later events... but then again, that doesn't sound like coach!

We'll see... this is an evolving event, and I'm sure it will change again. In the end you're supposed to be prepared for anything right? and that could mean 4 fast events!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gagnon View Post
Just out of curiousity, what kind of workout do you think they should do?
a) A long run
b) Something like Eva
c) AMRAP/20
Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

What would a longer workout represent in your guys idea?

endurance?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Aerobic capacity, mainly. Endurance and just being able to grind would also be represented, I suppose.