CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Travis Coombs

Profile:
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Team In Training

Hello Crossfitters!

My name is Travis Coombs (a.k.a. Travis from Reno on the comment board). Please take a minute to read my letter below. I'd greatly appreciate any support I can get from you all. The Crossfit community is my primary support group for maintining a healthy lifestyle & I am very appreciative of this great group of people.

This year I am participating in The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Team In Training Program which is a fundraising program dedicated to finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and myeloma. Over the next few months, I will be training on behalf of LLS for The Big Kahuna Half Iron-Man Traithlon which will be held in Santa Cruz, CA on September 7, 2008, and I have committed to raising $3,200.00 for LLS research, community education, and patient services.

I am writing this letter to invite you to join me in this valuable cause by making a donation to my fundraising campaign. Research suggests that a viable cure for leukemia and lymphoma is achievable within 10 years, and your donation will be put to use toward a cause in which there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Information on leukemia & lymphoma and recent treatment breakthroughs can be found at www.lls.org.

I have never undertaken a challenge of this magnitude, but the cause is a valuable one and I am confident that I will achieve my goals with your help and support.

Please use the link in this email to donate online and learn more about my progress. You will receive a confirmation of your donation by email, and I will be notified as soon as you make your donation.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sac/.../travisacoombs

Additionally, you can also donate by check if you prefer. Checks should be made payable to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and can be sent to me at my home address shown below.

Each donation helps accelerate finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. More than 712,000 Americans are battling these blood cancers. I am hoping that my participation in Team In Training will help bring them hope and support.

On behalf of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, thank you very much for your support. I greatly appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,

Travis A. Coombs
1727 Back Country Court
Reno, NV 89521
Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Steven Novick

Profile:
Re: Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Team In Training

Travis,

You might find this thread of interest:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31722

My son is a cancer survivor and we are involved with the local TNT. What would you think of the idea of a CF event for TNT (it's just an idea)?

Good luck with your fundraising!

Steven
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Travis Coombs

Profile:

Steven,

I posted on the other thread as well, but I wanted to thank you for your reply and for directing me to the other thread. I am glad to hear that your son is doing well, and will pass along his success story to my TNT team.

I would totally support a CF - LLS/TNT fundraising event. Reaching out to an entire community could be a very powerful and lucrative fundraiser for a valuable cause. I will contact my local CF affiliate & get back with the results.

Any other affiliates out there interested in putting something together?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Travis, thanks for the fundraising work you're doing. I've made a modest donation in support of our efforts, and hope that everyone reading this will do the same (or at least everyone who has, at some point, written someone's name on their hand and dedicated a WOD to them).

I quite literally owe my life to cancer research, which would not be possible without people like you doing what you're doing.

PS, don't stop at $3200!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Travis Coombs

Profile:

Robert - Thank you!

As you know, every bit counts. I am so fortunate to be associated with such a truly amazing group of individuals.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Olajos View Post
I've made a modest donation in support of our efforts, and hope that everyone reading this will do the same
Let me rephrase, I challenge everyone reading this to do the same.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Andrea Ferry

Profile:

Best of Luck, I contributed a small bit, but I hope it helps.
Andrea - CrossFit Greyskull, PA
Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Bill Patton

Profile:

travis - one of the things i've done when i was working on the c2 log/ranking was to configure it to help with fundraisers - usually a "row XX meters for $XX" - not sure exactly how logsitall could fit in with your campaign (track progress in terms of miles/pounds/reps??) - but if there is anything i can do to help, please let me know - i'd love to help in any way possible.

-bill patton
Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Travis Coombs

Profile:

Thanks to everyone's help, we raised over $4,200 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Kudos and good karma to everyone who was able to contribute (and to all Crossfitters for that matter).

Please keep my wife's aunt, Christy Joyce, in your thoughts and prayers as she was just recently diagnosed with myeloma.

The Big Kahuna Tri I have been training for with Team In Training is this Sunday. I will push through and work hard on behalf of all cancer survivors and those currently battling cancer.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Travis