CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Helen Wheels

Started CrossFit last week and I'm totally addicted. I'll post more info about my first week in Crossfit later.

For now, here's my story (which is my bio from my website: www.CapitalRegionFitnessTrainers.com)

After spending over 17 years in the Information Technology field, I found that my body just didn't want to spend so much time at a desk any more. Over a period of several years I was diagnosed with both Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and Fibromyalgia (muscle disorder). After several doctors, blood tests, x-rays, medications, MRI's, etc? I even went through a 6 month Fibromyalgia clinical study program. After all of that, I figured out for myself that the more exercise I got the better I feel.

At one point I was spending more than 3 hours a day working out! I had always been a fitness fanatic, but I knew that 3 hours a day was not a healthy habit. My fitness routine was also interfering with my desk job and my family life. So, I started looking at ways to add more physical activity to my every day life.

With some help from my family and friends I decided that the best way to help myself was to help others too! In 2006, at age 36, I decided I wanted to be a Personal Trainer. I got my first certification and started taking clients later that year.

I started my career in the Information Technology industry and worked my way through the ranks as an application and website developer, designer, business analyst and project manager. My administrative, website, project management and people management skills have proven to be priceless in starting a business.

In addition, having a desk job for over 17 years helps me to understand the lifestyle that the average office worker leads. Most people that sit for long periods at their job develop muscle imbalances causing tightness and pain. This pain may manifest in the neck, back, shoulders, chest, legs, knees, hands or wrists. Spending just a few hours a week can reverse the effects of long term sitting at your job.

I live with my long time boyfriend Ray (over 13 years!) and my little boy Charlie (dog). I enjoy working out, playing golf, riding my bike, watching sports, going out to dinner and the occasional glass of wine. I learned to play golf in 1998 and now hold a 10 handicap. We are members at Shaker Ridge Country Club, but still call Schenectady Muni home. Even now with my fitness career, you can still find Ray and I at the 19th hole occasionally.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Re: Helen Wheels

OK, so why "Wheels"...because when i was young...just out of college...i was a groupy with a local band. They were playing at some dive bar in Oneonta one night and i decided to drink a whole bottle of Captain Morgan rum.

While i was puking in the bathroom the band played "Hell on Wheels" and dedicated the song to me...and from there on out my nickname was "wheels".
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Crossfit Day 1: Wednesday 080716 : Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5 reps

First WOD! F/39/124 I'm a weak stringbean, but I'm ready to get serious!

Deadlifts: 60x5/70x5/70x5/80x5/70x5

And that is the most weight i have lifted in any 1/2 hour period doing anything!

I walk 18 holes of golf 4 days a week or so ... I may not be able to do it every day, but I'll try!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Day 2: Thursday 080717
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
15 Push-ups, 12 Ring dips, 115 pound Push-press, 9 reps

3 rounds...only 30lbs push-press

Push-ups, dips, wait 5 minutes, press
Repeat
Repeat

This makes me like deadlifts a lot more!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Friday 080718
Weighted pull-ups 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Golf Tournament tomorrow so I need to take it easy today. Can't really do pull-ups yet anyway and don't have an assisted machine.

3 sets of 4 modified pull-ups on stationary bar w/legs straight and heels on floor.

Right bicep sore a few hours later...must not have been pulling very much with the left. Perhaps I'll try a few more sets later trying to pull more with the left.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Saturday: Rest Day

This was my first WOD week and I'm totally addicted!

Played golf in a tournament on rest day...shot 80...PR! (I don't know how many of you play golf...but i'm betting not many)

Tomorrows WOD looks wicked! I'm looking forward to it!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Filthy Fifty

Missed this one, but will combine with tomorrows Row. 2nd day of 2 day golf tournament (Member/Member Championship) and we won! 2 Day total of 157 (2 person Best Ball/2 person scramble).

Laurie...your awesome and I did so much bragging about crossfit over these two days that I hope your reading this! The more beer I drank after golf ... the more people learned about crossfit... all good! No crossfitting after beer though!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Monday 080721: Row 2K combined with yesterdays Filthy Fifty (without killing myself over it)

Combined yesterday and today...this made me realize how weak and out of shape i really am...better than the average woman my age...but probably at the bottom of the wod list...for now!

First endurance wod:

30 "box" jumps -- 4 inches high ;-(
30 walking lunges (up hill!)
30 hanging knee lifts (to 90 degrees)
30 wall (tree) ball (8 lb ball)
30 burpees
30 double unders
50 SDHP's w/25 lbs

Time (including drinking a gallon of water and a quick shower afterwards): 1 hour

All good!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Tuesday 080722 : Push jerk 3-3-3-3-3 reps

Subbed push-press for push-jerk. Puppy...just don't feel comfortable enough with the jerk yet.

10x3
20x3
30x3
40x3
40x3

My back will be sore tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Wednesday 080723: Rest Day

And just in time because i needed it!