CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #221
Ryan Lynch

Profile:
Re: Anabolic Diet - My Progress

Progress Report - End of week 7

Well, my weight basically stayed the same this week. Been steady at 265.6 according to the 'ole scale. This makes me sad, as I was really enjoying seeing the -2 lbs each Saturday morning. However, it's not all bad as my strength continues to increase and I'm actually doing meaningful weight now!

I expect the progress to slow a bit now (as in not make such dramatic leaps), but still continue. I also suspect that because of the increase in load and calories I've reached a symbiotic spot where I'm still burning fat but also adding muscle. The good Dr. Talks about this in his book under the cutting phase section where a balance can be stuck where both fat loss and mass are achieved at the same time.

Sadly, I have no way to validate this, so it's really just hope at this point. Hope that I stumbled upon this state by accident. Anyway, I'm going to continue week 8 as planned and try as best as I can to keep the calories down to 2200. If I knew for a fact that I had achieved some magical balanced state, then I'd keep them at 2700, but since I don't know for sure, I'm going to proceed with the original plan. That reminds me, I need to get a measuring tape.

Started the carb up tonight around 7pm. Downed half a pizza and some fruit. I know, I was supposed to hold off on the gluten and wheat this time, but <insert inept excuse here...> and I just had to have it. It was tasty of course. Now I will sleep really good...

Will go until sometime tomorrow afternoon (so less than 24hrs)

-Ryan
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #222
Bonny Guang

Profile:

So I was about to start this, calculated the amount of calories I was supposed to do for maintenance, and kind of realized I wasn't eating enough in the first place. Hot damn 2800 calories how do I do that? o_O (don't answer that, i'm actually a smart kid who can think)
Old 09-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #223
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Hey Ryan, hows the routine order switch going?

Ricky
Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #224
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Hey Ryan, hows the routine order switch going?

Ricky
Well, good, sort of. Monday is very easy to go all out because you feel so good. So Monday went well, Tuesday was squats and deadlifts and that was the best yet, Wed I was wiped out. I had tons of energy and could have worked out, but it didn't "feel right", so I didn't workout. Felt perfect Thursday and did a scaled Fran, which went well. Friday I had planned to lift but Travel got in the way and 4hrs in a car is a workout in and of itself. Saturday I did some field work (took a class that spent most of the day outdoors doing stuff) and that went pretty well.

So, I didn't do the full week as planned, but from what I did do, it went well. I'm going to stick with this plan for a few weeks and see how it plays out when given a bit of time.

-Ryan
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #225
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

So I have another observation. This one is on hydration. I noticed it last weekend and then again this weekend. Basically it seems the carb load leads to dehydration. Ok, so this is that whole causality does not equal causation, but I need to word it somehow.

So what I have noticed is my hydration requirements are much lower during the week (no carb). I don't feel thirsty, I seem to be relatively hydrated and maintain it. Basically I sip water all day and am fine. I am certainly not getting a gallon a day during the week. I probably should kick it up, but the point is I'm not thirsty and I seem to be maintaining adequate hydration levels by sipping water all day.

Then comes the carb load. Day one is no change really, but day two I'm ravenously thirsty. I easily drank one and half gallons of water and a half-gallon of chocolate milk (HGOCMADOCLD) and was still thirsty. Definitely feeling a little dehydrated; Mouth feels dry, nose dry, etc.

This morning I'm back to the no carb portion, but still feeling a little dehydrated. If the pattern repeats as last week, I should by fine somewhere around mid-day toward the afternoon.

-Ryan
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #226
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

That's because your body retains fluid when carbing up and keto is a natural diuretic. Hence the major 2-3 pound weight loss (or more for some people) as soon as you go no-carb again.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #227
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
That's because your body retains fluid when carbing up and keto is a natural diuretic. Hence the major 2-3 pound weight loss (or more for some people) as soon as you go no-carb again.
Doh!!!

Again, I probably should have figured that one out on my own...can't seem to see the forest for all these blasted tree's everywhere...

Thanks,

-Ryan
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #228
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

No worries!

Didn't notice your location before. East Side representin' the low carb diet.

Though I'm taking a break this week, sorta. Same low carb food plan...plus a GOMAD. My joints are achin' and I'm ready to break through my current strength plateau, so I'm going to add a week or two of GOMAD before getting back on the same basic diet as you (with a little less structure).
Old 10-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #229
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

So I've been forming some questions in my head. i've been keeping up with my grams but have been overlooking my calories. in addition to that, because of my busy schedule, i don't eat every couple of hours or am too full from what i've already eaten.

i can see areas where i'm leaner but i KNOW i'm not doing this completely right. would my best bet be to purchase the Anabolic Solution? i think i can get most all my answers here.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #230
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Kawano View Post
So I've been forming some questions in my head. i've been keeping up with my grams but have been overlooking my calories. in addition to that, because of my busy schedule, i don't eat every couple of hours or am too full from what i've already eaten.

i can see areas where i'm leaner but i KNOW i'm not doing this completely right. would my best bet be to purchase the Anabolic Solution? i think i can get most all my answers here.
Hi Sakura,

The book has a ton of answers, no doubt. Experience though will be the better teacher I think. You have a wealth of others experience available to you as well. I got a ton of info reading the T-nation thread as well as searching on google.

As long as you are getting less than the 30g of carbs a day (watch those hidden carbs, seriously, they are in everything) and getting more fat than protein (ration wise), the calories are not going to matter to much during the indoc portion. The whole goal is to actually keep the calories relatively high and get PLENTY of fat.

Once your done with the indoc, then we can start worrying about calories based on your goals. Right now, get settled into the diet, watch the carbs, get enough fiber and get more fat than protein ratio wise.

How do you feel?
How's your workouts going?
How's your energy level?
How's your rest/sleep?
How's your stress level?
Are you getting support from family/friends?
Are you having fun and enjoying this?

-Ryan