CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #61
Ryan Lynch

Profile:
Re: Anabolic Diet - My Progress

Ok, so today I guess is Carb-load weekend +1? or is it week 3 day 1? Doesn't matter. Still feeling good. Nothing out of the ordinary, just good sustained energy all day, feeling alert. (and the day went by very slow again)

I had a gain of 4 lbs for the carb weekend, so we'll see what happens to that. On a quick side note, had lots of gas this weekend and mucho trips to the restroom. A side effect of all the, well, I guess you can still call it food technically...

Split my workout into 2 today. Did pull-ups before lunch, and I use that term loosely. I'm still doing beginner/assisted pull-ups. 275 lbs is lot to lift up the bar right now. Getting easier though. Did 50 and got a very good pump. An INSANE PUMP!!!! Hahaha!!!

Nah, I'm kidding. But seriously, my biceps did fill up quite a bit and it became slightly uncomfortable. I'm sure this is temporary and I'll adapt.

This evening I started the Starting Strength...Protocol? I guess since I'm not drinking a gallon of milk, I don't want to actually say I'm doing the program. Anyway, I found Coach Rippetoe's written instruction impeccable. His description of the exercises and the procedures were fantastic. After a few of the practice rounds, paying attention how my feet should be, where I should look, I felt very comfortable doing the exercises. Threw some very humble amounts of weight on and continued as he describes how the first workout to go. It felt great. My energy level throughout the short workout was high. I felt as if I could easily have done a lot more weight, but I refrained. There will be plenty of time for that later.

So I'm off to go eat a huge steak and relax a bit...

-Ryan
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #62
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Nice, glycogen full muscles can fill up quite nicely.

A four lb. jump over the weekend is pretty solid with all that glycogen and water filling your muscles up. When I finally got to eat carbs again I remember looking at myself and thinking that this whole plan seriously works, jacked. Then I got depleted again.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:30 AM   #63
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Very interesting guys. How much have you put on since you strarted this mate (havnt had time to read through all of it).

When i made best gains on bodybuilding split (before i saw the light and switched to CF), i was following hihg protein diet. I doubled my protien and body weight went up 30lbs in 14months....I dont gain weight to easily so i weas pleased. Not all was muscle, probs about 20lns of it, but it was good anyway.

Might try this, though i play rugby on saturdays so not sure if that would be good or not?!

Ricky
Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #64
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Richard, i believe he is using the diet primarily for fat loss.

If you want to gain weight (muscle) I suggest you don't do the AD, instead try SS with the milk.

keep it up Ryan! I like reading this thread.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #65
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Macaulay View Post
Very interesting guys. How much have you put on since you strarted this mate (havnt had time to read through all of it).

When i made best gains on bodybuilding split (before i saw the light and switched to CF), i was following hihg protein diet. I doubled my protien and body weight went up 30lbs in 14months....I dont gain weight to easily so i weas pleased. Not all was muscle, probs about 20lns of it, but it was good anyway.

Might try this, though i play rugby on saturdays so not sure if that would be good or not?!

Ricky
HI Richard,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm doing this particular diet because of the hormone manipulation is does, much like some of the other diets out there. However this one is very protein sparing and was designed to add muscle. It was written by the famed power lifting champ Dr. Mauro DiPasquale (who also has many other credentials) for Body Builders to make lean gains much like if they were on gear but without the gear of course. It's also an excellent cutting diet for the fat as fuel properties as well. Like I mentioned, there are a number of diets that do this sort of thing, this one just appeals to me right now.

I'm using it for the cutting aspect as I have a lot of extra fat that I need to lose. Since most fat losing routines also burn a lot of muscle off, I selected this diet because one can actually add muscle on caloric restricted diet and burn off tons-o-fat. So this is a log of my progress and we'll see how it goes.

As for your rugby situation, there are many anecdotal reports of athletes doing very well on this diet and there sport. There's a link to 350+ page thread on T-Nation a few pages back (NOT w/f/s) where there is all sorts of very good (and dumb) information and reports on the diet.

-Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #66
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Nice, glycogen full muscles can fill up quite nicely.

A four lb. jump over the weekend is pretty solid with all that glycogen and water filling your muscles up. When I finally got to eat carbs again I remember looking at myself and thinking that this whole plan seriously works, jacked. Then I got depleted again.
Haha...Well, I'm down 2 lbs from weekend load and I'm not defined enough to notice the muscle pump visually. Once I drop 50 lbs then we should be able to see the weekend results.

-Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #67
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post

If you want to gain weight (muscle) I suggest you don't do the AD, instead try SS with the milk.

Thanks Laura,

I appreciate the support and encouragement from all of you who have stopped by.

-Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #68
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

As a quick progress report, I am sleeping better the last 4 nights. I usually wake up about every 2 hours all night long, but the last four days I've only woken up a few times. Feeling much more rested and alert when I get up in the morning.

-Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #69
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post

Laura,
The diet can be used either way. In theory, the AD would be a cleaner bulk. Eat a lot more calories, but still keep carbs low and the weight should be mostly the lean bodymass variety.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #70
Rick Frazier

Profile:

I agree with Derek, the AD can be used to go up or down the scale. Reading his book (very detailed) lays it all out, but in a nutshell once you pass the adaptation phase you can maintain, mass (gain), or cut (lose)

Maintain:
- Initially start with 18 calories per lbs of body weight.
- Experiment to find correct amount of calories, everyone is different.

Mass:
- Eat 25 calories per lbs of body weight you want to reach.
- Body fat shouldn't rise above 10% during mass phase.
- Phase stops when you either reach your weight goal or you rise above 10% bf.
- 2 lbs of gain a week is best.

Cut:
- Measure bf% weekly.
- Lose 1.5 - 2 lbs a week
- Cut 500 calories first week. 100-500 per week in following weeks (rough guideline). Experiment with what works best for you.

A good summary beyond the basics of the diet is that you must experiment with it to see what best works for your body and metabolism, regardless of your goals (maintain, mass, or cut).