CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Ben Chapman

Profile:
"Grace" Rules

I did Grace today, and I've always been under the impression that grace was ground-to-overhead anyway you can as long as you're locked on top and head in the frontal plane. I started today's Grace with a modified power snatch; pulling the bar high and getting all the way under it at once, instead of cleaning, then jerking from the shoulders. My trainer told me this wasn't legal, that you had to jerk it and not power snatch. I just always thought it was anything, including a power snatch.

My question is, where is it written? Where can I find the "official" rules on using a power snatch?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Alan Kalbarczyk

Profile:
Re: "Grace" Rules

Grace is C&J
anyway you can means Split or Push.

You did Isabel.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Still don't see where the official rules are.

and I can't even find a WOD called isabelle
Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Ian Smith

Profile:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD0 wfs

Grace * Clean and Jerk 135 lbs 30 reps for time

Helen * 400 meter run
* 1.5 pood Kettlebell swing x 21
* Pull-ups 12 reps 3 rounds for time

Isabel * Snatch 135 pounds 30 reps for time
Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Ben Chapman

Profile:

cool, thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The Grace has to be done in two distinct movements.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

or at least two distinct down/up's. a few of the guys i the crossfit games 2008 did the heavy grace with a squatclean/thruster movement as opposed to squat clean / push jerk.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vassallo View Post
or at least two distinct down/up's. a few of the guys i the crossfit games 2008 did the heavy grace with a squatclean/thruster movement as opposed to squat clean / push jerk.
This is very true.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

No matter if dude means Grace or Isabel, the same issue is at hand: Is it acceptable to use abbreviated movements and not full ROM to complete either of these two WODs. At my facility the answer is a clear NO. There are two main reasons for this ruling:

1. I do not believe that the need for a better time outweighs the benefits received from doing either Grace or Isabel with full ROM. I could be wrong on this. This is one of things that irritates me about a lot of people who do CrossFit. They'll compromise everything in pursuit of a better time. Somethings can't be compromised and full ROM is one of them. There is a time & place for abbreviated movements, but not in those two WODs. Just my opinion.

2. I have never been able to find anywhere anything about Hang this or Power that. To me, unless otherwise stated, when it says C & J or Snatch it means full Squat-style. For it to be from the Hang or caught in the Power position it has to be explicitly stated to be performed as such.

This issue came up last month and I had to take a stand and declare how it was to be done here. Now, I've seen plenty of people perform the Hang Power Snatch and consider it acceptable. Who knows, maybe it is. However, for the purpose of accurate metrics, we needed everyone to be on the same page.

Last edited by Randy Tarasevich : 09-05-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
No matter if dude means Grace or Isabel, the same issue is at hand: Is it acceptable to use abbreviated movements and not full ROM to complete either of these two WODs. At my facility the answer is a clear NO. There are two main reasons for this ruling:

1. I do not believe that the need for a better time outweighs the benefits received from doing either Grace or Isabel with full ROM. I could be wrong on this. This is one of things that irritates me about a lot of people who do CrossFit. They'll compromise everything in pursuit of a better time. Somethings can't be compromised and full ROM is one of them. There is a time & place for abbreviated movements, but not in those two WODs. Just my opinion.

2. I have never been able to find anywhere anything about Hang this or Power that. To me, unless otherwise stated, when it says C & J or Snatch it means full Squat-style. For it to be from the Hang or caught in the Power position it has to be explicitly stated to be performed as such.

This issue came up last month and I had to take a stand and declare how it was to be done here. Now, I've seen plenty of people perform the Hang Power Snatch and consider it acceptable. Who knows, maybe it is. However, for the purpose of accurate metrics, we needed everyone to be on the same page.
Amen. If I'm ever in CT, I'm looking you up.