CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Tristan Warneke

Profile:
Smile Don't be afraid to talk to others

I had the coolest run in with an old guy while Crossfitting tonight. The WOD was 4 rounds of 400M & 50 squats so I went up to a local track. During round 4 I noticed an old guy come onto the track and start walking around. When I was done and stretching he made it to the start line and made some comment about how good I was doing "zooming around the track" and to keep it up. When I went for my cool down lap, I slowed down to tell him how great I thought he was doing "zooming around the track" and I asked him how old he was. He wasn't zooming, he said, he still had a hitch in his walk from when he broke his neck a few years back, but then he told me he was 84.

I was amazed.

He was doing awesome for 84, especially since he said he'd been playing basketball all the way up until he broke his neck. So we continued around the track talking, and of course he asked me what I was training for. Standard Crossfit answer of "Life, I'm training for everyday living" came out without much thought and I proceeded to tell him about being fat at a desk job a year ago and wanting to change all that. He said he'd thought I'd done a good job with the change. His name was Doug and he lives in the green house across from the track... and I'd never have met this awesome old man if I hadn't taken a moment to do something more than just nod at him in passing.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Sara Fleming

Profile:
Re: Don't be afraid to talk to others

Good post.

My mom and dad go to our local YMCA for the water aerobics classes. At one point, the new branch director was going to let their "water talk" class be cancelled because the fitness director didn't see any point in it, "all they do is talk", she said. Well, that class is full of old people, some of whom come in wheelchairs and walkers, who can't do very much, but they are getting to the pool and doing some activity and getting a social connection which is extremely important at their age. One of the guys in the class is 89 years old and its the only exercise he gets every week. So, my mom wrote a letter to the branch director and then went to his office (with everyone in tow) and pointed out the following (I'll paraphrase):

"We may look like a bunch of old farts to you, but in our day we were CEO's, school administrators, doctors, nurses, teachers, and athletes. One day, you will be in our position of not being very active, having limited social interaction, and hopefully you will find an outlet that keeps you active, and social, and happy. And I hope that no one will force you to give that up because it doesn't fit in with their definition of fitness."

They decided not to cancell the class. Interestingly, the fitness director has moved on.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Fleming View Post
...Interestingly, the fitness director has moved on.
Funny how that works huh?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Tristan and Sara, what a couple of very nice stories. I spend a very large part of my working day with older folks. It's always worthwhile taking the extra minute or two to chat, to learn a little about the life they led before old age.

Thanks for the bright start to my day.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Everyone has a story to tell, you just have to listen (and most people can't be 'bothered').
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Listening to people's stories is one my favorite things to do. I never get tired of it. Everyone--everyone--has something interesting to say. Maybe it's something they have seen, or done. Maybe it's an idea about something. This is every bit as true for so-called unintelligent people as intelligent people. There is no one on this planet that doesn't know something I don't know.

How dull life would be if I thought I knew--or could know--it all.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Bob Long

Profile:

[quote=Sara Fleming;411052]

"because it doesn't fit in with their definition of fitness."
/QUOTE]

Whoa, why does that sound familiar? Why, uh, we ,well, you know, we never would do that here, oh of course not. Wouldn't think of it. Nope. not us.